Yet (another) bag question

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
HI guys, sorry to ask yet another bag question, but I'm looking for a day bag (i.e. a camera section and a general personal stuff section), to replace my current Lowepro Fastpack 200.

I've had the Fastpack 200 the longest I've ever owned a bag (around 7 years) and it's pretty much perfect for holidays and I take it to work everyday, with a minimal kit inside it and my phone(s), chargers, cables, batteries, external HDD's, keys etc. The only two things (well 3 really) that let it down are

a) no all weather protection - and with me going to Florida in June, I know that it will rain (even if just for 30 minutes at a time) almost every day, and I want to make sure the equipment and personal possessions remain dry.

b) no sleeve or compartment for a small laptop/Macbook/iPad - this is a biggie for me as every holiday I take my Ipad air 2 on holiday and it just doesn't fit right in the top section of the bag, bashing around with everything else.

c) a minor one but this is the 3rd mentioned above. Width wise, it's about 2 inches too narrow to carry either my EM1(x or MK II gripped) with the 300mm F4 (or 40-150 F2.8 & TC) attached or my Fuji X-T3 with the 50-140 F2.8 attached. I'd sacrifice more width (oooh err missues) if I could have a) and b) above, but be nice to accommodate all 3.

What I like most about the Fastpack 200 (even though it's old), is it's size. It's not too big and by that I mean mainly when on my back, it's narrow enough in depth to not stick out too far and bash people as I turn etc, and therefore also easy to squeeze into overhead lockers etc. The bag's official dimensions are 464 mm (H) x 315 mm (W) x 238 mm (D)

I'm not tied to Lowepro (although they are good quality), so would freely look at a bag from another reputable manufacturer, so anyone any ideas for a "Fastpack 200 MK II" replacement ?

Here's what it looks like for those that don't know:

thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The BP 250 AW11 version of the Fastpack has seperate laptop & tablet storage plus an all weather cover built in.

Try Think Tank, I have a streetwalker pro and can fit a 150-500 with my nikon7100 and also a 70-200 f2.8. It has a raincover attached and is quite narrow. I'm only 5ft 2 and can carry it around easily all day!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll certainly look into these.

I have a F-stop Guru that I mainly use with the small pro ICU. It will take the medium slop ICU that again will hold a X-T3 with the 100-400 mounted + 5 slots more that will take e.g. the 80mm, the 55-200mm, the 16mm f/1,4 and the 56mm f/1,2 + a speedlight like the Godox TT685.
Correction, make that 6 slots :) only negative is the 2 upper corners can be difficult to access.
In the small pro ICU i currently have 2 bodies with 18 and 35mm mounted, 9, 16 and 80mm, batteries efx20 MCEX-16, xpro trigger, batteries and cleaning stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if this would suit your needs : http://www.gem-bags.com/the-gem-scorpion-maxi-slr-camera-backpack-with-laptop-section_p22523412.htm

It's not a top of the range manufacturer but it's robust and I think might meet your criteria.
I've got one in good used condition that I no longer need and will sell, if you think it might work for you.

What gear will fit into this bag ????
I have a D750, Sigma 50mm art, Nikon 24-120 G, Sigma 150-600 C and battery grip, would all that fit with space for maybe one more lens ??

What gear will fit into this bag ????
I have a D750, Sigma 50mm art, Nikon 24-120 G, Sigma 150-600 C and battery grip, would all that fit with space for maybe one more lens ??

It will take my sigma 150-600 Sport with D850 fitted and whilst it will close with the grip and 'L' plate fitted it's not ideally deep enough.
With the grip stored detached, it would also take a 50mm, 24-120mm, plus room for another lens say, 85mm f1.8 size.

I used a Kata mini-bee PL 110 for years, it comfortably fit a Nikon D800 with 300mm F4 attached and a couple smaller lenses to the sides - it also has a separate section for tablet or an 11" laptop. Very well padded inside [yellow] good weather resistance on the bag alone and you get a rain cover besides, along with extras for mounting a tripod. I believe Kata are no longer, they are now under Manfrotto and they changed the styling a bit [changed the inner padding to red instead of yellow for one] so it'll be this one here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-...&qid=1556282262&s=electronics&sr=1-2-fkmrnull

They have others, just look for Manfrotto mini bee or pro-lite, very tough bags if they continued using the same kind of materials. I still have my Kata one here after about 8yrs - still in good shape though I rarely use it as I'm using smaller gear these days

This is the one I have to show how they re-modeled the styling: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892823-REG/Kata_kt_pl_mb_110_Minibee_110_PL_Backpack.html

Last edited:
Check out Tarion on Amazon, been using one for a few months, fantastic value for money and so far no issues

Back