yet another Honey Bee

Edit My Images
No
Sorry all, I know I recently posted a Honey bee and an almost identical position. However, decided to post this one because of the clarity up close. It's amazing they have hairs growing out of their eyes. Shame about the face partially obscured by the flowers but they spend most of their time with it buried in there :)

IMG5403b-L.jpg

Cracking shot..sharp as a pin...

Cheers Barry :)

Cheers Nick, Dean.

Indeed I noticed the ball joint too :)

Nick, I am diffusing the flash with a Lastolite Ezy-box Speedlite. hehe, it's quite a monster. Rather large and on occasion can be quite cumbersome when trying to get into tighter places. I need to make myself a smaller unit for such situations.

Here's a picture of my camera with the diffuser box on it. It'll make you chuckle I'm sure :D (iphone images below). Actually, these are two rare occasions when I used tripod. The second image was of my camera set up taking shots of a Syritta Pipients Hover fly that was basking in the evening sun. It was happy to stay put so I got the tripod :D

1241157751_RfuRy-L.jpg

i-Qtp77c2.jpg

Last edited:
Nick, I am diffusing the flash with a Lastolite Ezy-box Speedlite. hehe, it's quite a monster. Rather large and on occasion can be quite cumbersome when trying to get into tighter places. I need to make myself a smaller unit for such situations.

Here's a picture of my camera with the diffuser box on it. It'll make you chuckle I'm sure :D

Not at all. This is exceedingly interesting. The large surface area from which the light emerges is I suspect rather significant. I could handle that size I think, handheld or not - presumably it isn't heavy? It looks like it would be less bother than the card reflector I use on a bendy clamp thingy.

Would this be the device in question?

Are there any other parts one needs to purchase?

It obviously works, and works well. I am puzzled though by the way the light source appears to be pointing in the wrong direction (i.e. forwards), as if only a small amount of light would reach the subject, with the rest going to waste. On the other hand, with that large an area of lit surface from which the light is emerging, if some of the light is bouncing about a bit inside the device before emerging then it could be somewhat multi-directional coming in on the small subject, which if true would be rather good I imagine. Could you, ahem, enlighten me a bit about the quality of the illumination?

Hi Nick, That's the one yes.

It's very light and folds away when not in use (also acts as a rather useful rain cover if there is a very light rain when you're outside, and I do mean light ;) ).

You do not need to purchase anything else. You simply strap the diffuser onto your Speedlight flash unit with the straps it has on it already.

Realistically, the diffuser is designed with portraiture in mind or to illuminate a larger area. the use of Macro is shall we say, a secondary use for it however it seems to work quite nicely. I'll admit, I still suffer from the odd hot spot with some bugs but there's a massive reduction in comparison to the basic sto fen diffuser I had previously.

The interior of the box is reflective of course and there's a secondary panel inside. I did actually insert a couple of sheets of kitchen towel in between the two provided panels but that was far too much and I found myself increasing the flash output drastically.

As for the quality of illumination, I find that, subjective to the amount of output used on the flash and of course the ambient lighting. I must admit, the best method of explanation really is in the examples I post. I'm kinda basic in respect to the fact that, if I like what I see then it's good enough for me :)

One thing I plan to do is to purchase a bracket so I can mount the flash to the side as where most macrophotgraphers position their flash to see what the difference would be.

Also as mentioned in another post, I also plan to make a coke can diffuser as many also use which is smaller so I can get in some of the tighter spots.

I must say that sometimes, the shadow the diffuser box produces does, on occasion cause a bug to move off very quickly. Many are not bothered by it though.

Thanks Ian, that is all very useful.

also acts as a rather useful rain cover if there is a very light rain when you're outside.

Ah ha. I did wonder about that.

I must admit, the best method of explanation really is in the examples I post.

Having a look at your past posts was already on my to-do list for today!

Also as mentioned in another post, I also plan to make a coke can diffuser as many also use which is smaller so I can get in some of the tighter spots.

Yes, I have made one of those (well, two actually, one for the 150 and 250, and another one with a different angle for the 500D). Which makes me ask myself this: if I'm not comfortable with the effects of the coke can diffusers, why would I be more comfortable with the Lastolite? Possibly, I wondered, a more natural-looking light coming from its delivery from a wider range of angles. But I really don't know. Its indecision to the fore for me - as usual.:D

I must say that sometimes, the shadow the diffuser box produces does, on occasion cause a bug to move off very quickly. Many are not bothered by it though.

Another thing I wondered about!

EDIT: I've just realised something else. It looks to me like the camera + lens + add-on lens combo I am using may be a bit shorter front to back than your rig, at least in the first image - is that lengthened with extension tubes? If my combo is shorter then that could place the front of the Lastolite beyond the front of my lens and even closer to the subject. Plus, my working distance is presumably shorter than your minimum working distance (and my working distance is fixed too, irrespective of magnification). Hmmmm.....

Last edited:
Hi Nick,

Have a nose through my Macro Gallery. I believe images 1 through to 152 are mostly shot with the Lastolite on, that is provided you're seeing the most recent shots first (should be the honey bee down through past the soldier fly. If not, let me know) -Gallery --> http://ipc.smugmug.com/Close-Ups-Macro/Macro/4928508_h2LBHR#1474194621_gxJQvQZ.

Those beyond that I know I definitely didn't own it then. It's apparant on a number of the shots that the highlights are somewhat harsher.

With regards to the distance of the diffuser in relation to the lens, in the first shot, I had all 3 ext. tubes on as I was photographing these shots (larger versions in the gallery). The very front of the lens barrel protruded a touch beyond the diffuser.

1240226661_wkjbt-S-1.jpg
1241139424_zpvyK-S.jpg

In the second image, at that point, I had no tubes on so the diffuser protruded further than the lens. I will say that if you use just the lens with no tubes and you're at minimum magnification, you do risk a black band across the top where the diffuser is caught up in the image. However, I rarely shoot at minimum mag and if I were to do so, I'm not so sure I'd require flash actually on the camera. I'd use it off the camera as it's more likely to be a portrait (which I have a nifty fifty for)

This is the image I shot where the camera was on the tripod. It's the Syritta Pipiens hover that was basking in the sun.

IMG2741crop-L.jpg

My working distances vary naturally. If shooting without tubes on, I'm up quite close at full mag. However what I've found is that if I have just the 12, 20 , or 36mm on singlularly, this permits me to increase mag as and when I need it beyond the standard 105s capabilities but more so, allows me to shoot a couple of inches further away yet maintain mag as if I was shooting at full mag without the tubes.

Last edited:
Great shot, the set up is certainly working well for you, you always seem to get lovely soft lighting

Ian, thanks so much for the extra, detailed information about distances. As always, that is very helpful.

Have a nose through my Macro Gallery. I believe images 1 through to 152 are mostly shot with the Lastolite on, that is provided you're seeing the most recent shots first (should be the honey bee down through past the soldier fly. If not, let me know) -Gallery --> http://ipc.smugmug.com/Close-Ups-Macro/Macro/4928508_h2LBHR#1474194621_gxJQvQZ.

I think I'm seeing the correct ones. You have a lot of beautiful shots, and not a few absolutely stunning ones. As preparation for potential discussions with the good wife about possibly getting yet another bit of photo equipment I sat her down to look at your smugmug images. Worked a treat.:D

While being duly impressed with all the fauna (and she is not very keen on, indeed in general is slightly repelled by, insects, spiders etc), she waxed especially lyrical about this flower shot. She is a plantswoman, is incredibly sensitive to colour subtleties, knows the colours of many plants and prefers natural looking colours. The colours in that flower shot, she thought, were particularly realistic looking and delicately rendered. To say she liked the shot would be a bit of an understatement.

And as we discussed a number of your images it became increasingly clear that she has a very clear grasp of the potential of flash-illuminated images, and the downsides, and, critically from my perspective just now, the importance of getting that flash light nicely diffused.(y)

Lots to think about here. You are getting much better micro-details and micro-contrast than I can, and better freezing of motion, but a bit more "black background" effect, although not as frequently as I expected, and some light-source-shaped highlights, but mostly pretty unobtrusive and much/most of the time completely absent. Many of your images have an immediate and strong visual impact and "wow factor" for me.

My pictures in contrast seem lower key, lower impact, softer (in detail, contrast and colour, a palette a bit towards the pastel shades perhaps). And I'm not meaning to deprecate my images by saying this. I actually quite like some of the "softness" aspects in some of my images (but am borderline embarrassed by some other softness issues, wondering if I really would have done better to bin rather than post some of the shots. Trouble is, I've learnt that people respond differently to different aspects of a photo, and what can delight (or appal!) one person about an image can be totally unnoticed or if noticed then insignificant to someone else.)

I also seem to shoot less "macro" than you and more "close-up", and perhaps linked, a greater proportion of flowers. We have a common ground of whole-subject shots, from which you seem more often move in closer, while I more often move out further away. Possibly natural light is more appropriate the further out you move (and I'm sure flash becomes ever more essential as you move in really close).

Some trade-offs, objectives, preferences etc for me to mull over here, along with some usability issues. I am very drawn by the possibility of being able to produce images more like yours. I suspect the only way of testing its suitability for me is going to be to buy a Lastolite and try it for myself.

I have wondered myself about side-mounting the flash, but because of the way my camera is mounted on a focus rail which is on a ball head my rather limited ability to understand and visualise mechanical devices has left me unable to envisage a working solution. All the side-mounts I have seen have been on brackets used for hand-held use, and given the way the camera is attached to the brackets I can't see how the bracket could then be attached to the focus rail - or some other combination.

I have become very comfortable with using the focus rail and tripod (even if I use neither in the "normal" way) and wouldn't want to give them up......Thinks....... Maybe have a "hand-held" setup, for use when I want to use flash as the main light source, with the flash side-mounted on a bracket. And keep the tripod + focus rail for available light (+ fill flash) use. Hmmm.... More to ponder.

I think before moving on to new equipment I should first do some more flash experiments with captures using my reflector and diffusers. And spend more time comparing and pondering on the differences between your (and others') images and mine, and from that what direction(s) I would like to move in. And think some more about potential mounting solutions.

Thanks so much for helping me to explore these issues.

Thanks so much for helping me to explore these issues.

Well, this is a bit embarrassing Ian. I'm renowned for having a bad memory (ever since childhood), but this takes the biscuit.

While contemplating this whole flash thing I have just had a quick look through some of my images from the past couple of years. It looks like after I got the 430exii flash unit last May I used flash quite a lot for insects, including at least some and possibly quite a few where it must have been the main light source. But since starting up again this Spring I seem to have pretty much stopped using the flash. Blowed if I know why.

Oh well, if this wind ever stops before all the subjects have disappeared, I'll try to get back in the groove, flash-wise.

Hehe, no worries. I'm very pleased your wife likes the African Daisy shot. That was taken in almost near darkness with the flash :).

Always glad to help others too :)

Keep posting of course and if you do start using flash again, I look forward to seeing the results.

ps. Thank you Christine also :)

Always glad to help others too :)

(y) And thanks again.

Keep posting of course and if you do start using flash again, I look forward to seeing the results.

I think I'll probably post some of the SX10 flash stuff to start with. Apart from my backlog (almost all available light) I doubt there will be much if any new flash stuff until next year now.

Great shot! wish i could get that level of magnification/ quality. It must be the season for bees on those plants, because I took this on exactly the same plant yesterday :
DSC_0213e.jpg

Cheers Gomas. Mind you, you certainly did a good job too. Nice shot and certainly nice and sharp.

Yeah the honey bees love Sedum flowers. :)

Nice shot Ian (y)

But can I just point out something your supposed to put the entire camera in the camera bag not just hang it off the end of the flash :D

HAHAHAH @ Neil :D

Cheers mate. :)

Back