Yet another Moon pic

• Thread starter Deleted member 96017
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 96017

Taken in the back garden last night. f14 (didn't realise at the time), 1/8th, ISO 100, using the Sigma 600 and 1.4TC. I'm pretty happy with the result, but usual hints/tips/criticism most welcomed. I did have another go at Jupiter as well, first time using a Bahtinov Mask, managed to get some of Jupiter's colours for the first time, had zero decent pic of his moons. Nothing worthy of posting here, except our moon. Ah well, I'll keep practicing :D

IMG_1463jpg by Stuart, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
Golly Stewart, 1/8 sec? You've done well getting anything at that speed as the moon moves :D Still looks good though. Well done :D

Thanks Alan, settings messed up before I even realised!

Lesson learnt for next time...

its a nice shot of a difficult subject (for me ) congrats, for the odd passable shot I used the "looney 11" rule F11 iso to match shutter speed ,ie 1/200 =iso 200 good luck

With Jupiter if you want moons and the planet not just a bright dot you will need to blend two exposures.

Well done, I'd be very happy with that.
Thanks Richard.
its a nice shot of a difficult subject (for me ) congrats, for the odd passable shot I used the "looney 11" rule F11 iso to match shutter speed ,ie 1/200 =iso 200 good luck
Will give that a try next time, thanks for the tip!
With Jupiter if you want moons and the planet not just a bright dot you will need to blend two exposures.
I was aware of this, I just need to learn how to do the blending. I have managed some nice pics of the moons in the past, just not that night.

Thanks,

S..

love to try for Jupiter so please excuse my ignorance but what two shots (stacked ) sorry to butt in Stuart

love to try for Jupiter so please excuse my ignorance but what two shots (stacked ) sorry to butt in Stuart
One with longer/brighter exposure showing the moons (they are quite faint) and one with much lower exposure to see some detail on the planet.
You can only expect a hint of darker bands though. In the planet exposure shot you won't be able to see moons or anything else around it.
While in a shot showing the moons, Jupiter will just be a glaring blob

Last edited:
4wd thanks, get it now, look forward to giving it a try if we ever get a clear night again here ! thanks again

Back