yet another of my film-related queeries. -this time about grain size!

Edit My Images
Yes
:wave:all!

this time my question is about grain size.

by the magical powers of my mind thinking.......:tumbleweed: I have come to think this:

If you use 400iso film (in my case TMAX B&W) at 800iso, then its grainer then it would be usually.

therefore, if I were to use 3200iso film at 800iso, will the grains be smaller/finer than if I used the film at 3200iso?

-I know that TMAX B&W is actually around 800iso, but for some reason is marketed and sold at 3200, but surely the grain would be finer:shrug::thinking:?

am I right or am I right(ly wrong)?

Also just out of interest, (based on the same hypothesis) is there better shadow detail of TMAX 3200 used at 800iso? -And does developing time change?

Cheers all in advance, have the regulatory :beer: and all to say thanks;). I ask too many questions though. I should bake you all a big cake one day to say thanks!(y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Err!! Nope :beer:

Film grain will still be the same as you have larger grain to work in lower light to record the image. Changing the film speed to a lower one won't reduce the film grain.

If you expose film at a lower rating then should get much more tonal difference, like information in shadow areas.

Yes if you change the ISO speed you should then change the development times. Chap on here Steve if you click on the link to his website it explains it more then me.

But take HP5+ expose it at say ISO 200, then cut the dev time by 25%. But reading around it sometime more a case of trying and settling on ISO and dev times to suit you.

Have you mooched around APUG forum? They are film only and full of information about how films work, using various films, development issues. I'd go have a look you may find it interesting :D

cheers for that, have another :beer:. just not so much that you:puke: :D

I see what you mean, I (think) I fully understand... lol. I am happy at the fact I will get more detail in the shadows if I use 3200iso at 800 now:D Just what I want (I used to hate 3200 TMAX, now it seems that its becoming my best friend:LOL:). Im not quite sure if I need to reduce dev'ing time for this particular film though, as it is really rated at 800iso (but sold as 3200). Unless they have already added the extra time on charts.....

confusing. I will have to check that dev chart website!

also, I will mooch around that forum now. Cheers for that, never heard of it before(y)

anyway,:clap:s to you for your helpfulness:D

Back