Yet another Silverstone thread...

Name
Ed
Edit My Images
No
So a bit of a lurker and don't really post here much but thought I'd drop a quick post.

I am travelling down to Silverstone on Friday for the British GT racing.

I am a frequent visiter of Croft but made it bit of a new years resolution to get to 2 new tracks this year. So as the misses is on a hen do I thought I would take the opportunity to head South.

So as a newbie to Silverstone anyone recommend where the best places to shoot from are? I'll be there both days so will have plenty of time to wander about but thought I'd pick the brains of people who have been before.

Oh - and if you come across a balding Geordie shooting a 7d that'll be me! Say hello! :)

Ah sorry I am traveling down on the Friday as its a 4 hour drive from mine :) Got myself a bed in a premier inn on Friday and Saturday night so will be there Sat/Sun.

Silverstone is not a kind circuit for photogrphers. When I first visited there a couple of years back, I was parked alongside one of the promoter's photogwho was attaching a 600mm lens to his 1Div. I queried why he was using such a long lens and he said that was the shortest length he could get a decent shot with owing to the good viewpoints being so far from the track which has very wide run-offs.

I had a 400mm with me and I struggled.

Yeah - I had heard it's not great for photographers - I have been told I'll be shooting at 400mm quite a bit but you know I like a challenge. Also find this sort of things pushes me to think about my shots more.

I would have gone to Brands Hatch (which I believe is a better track for photographers) but off to Spa at the end of August so nor funds or misses would allow :)

Silverstone is great for photography, if you're willing to walk.

I cope with 200mm on a crop body 99% of the time.

Just wrote a bit of an essay, with spots to shoot from. Can post it if you want. But I just read you like a challenge? May give too much away? :D

Silverstone is great for photography, if you're willing to walk.

I cope with 200mm on a crop body 99% of the time.

Just wrote a bit of an essay, with spots to shoot from. Can post it if you want. But I just read you like a challenge? May give too much away? :D

That would be great just to get bit of a head start!

Not phased by walking - will help burn off the double cheeseburger i will no douby consume :)

Looking at your Silverstone pics, do you have access beyond the fencing or are they from good vantage points ?
All from spectator areas. They can be a bit more restrictive where you go depending on the meeting, but all taken from spectator spots.

Not phased by walking - will help burn off the double cheeseburger i will no douby consume :)
Make sure you stock up on cheeseburgers if you head to the south side of the circuit. Definite lack of burger vans down there! :D

Anyway, essay time.. (glad I saved it!). You may have to reference the corner names against a map.

Outfield:
1. Copse - shooting through the fence, up the National pit straight. (Only time you probably want more than 200mm, I usually use a 1.4x tc and then crop a lot)
2. Maggots/ Beckets/ Chapel - If its a bit darker, you can get away with shooting through the fence here. Can be tricky if it's bright as you can't get the shutter speed low enough to blur out the fence. Also a camera hole at Chapel you can look through.
3. Outside of Stowe - normally a gap in the fence open you can shoot through looking toward vale (cars going away from you).
4. Outside of Vale - Disabled grandstand is usualy open.
5. Outside of Club - Can get right up to the fence to shoot through. Cars coming out of vale into club.
6. Luffield - spectator area has places you can see over the fence. Also to the right of the grandstands is a great place for low shots.

Infield:
7. Inside of Copse - Places you can see over the fence. Bit boring.
8. Inside of Stowe - You can sometimes get on the roof of the building there. Good for panning.
9. Between Stowe and Vale - Shots over the fence
10. Vale - Grandstand is usually open. Braking into Vale.
11. Club - From the steps outside the wing
12. The Wing. If you can get on the balcony, good shots to be had down the pit straight.
13. Abbey - Occasionally the grandstand on the inside of Abbey is open.
14. Village - Can stand on tip toes (if you're tall) and look over the fence. Cars braking into Village.
15. The Loop - Camera hole.
16. Aintree - Can shoot through the fence. Looking back towards Aintree, or down the National Straight.
17. BRDC Grandstand - Doubt this will be open for the BGT

Grandstands:
National pit straight and Woodcote are also open for the BGT.

Superb - thanks for that!

I had a look through your stream last and it is very impressive - i'll be happy if i get some shots half as good as these! :)

I left GPS on during my last visit to Silverstone (a few weeks ago), nowhere near all the angles, but a good few, and only one through a fence. It's slightly undone by the map not being updated since the new infield, but it's never clear whether they will let us public folk access that area anyway event to event...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/harry_s/sets/72157633233961247/map/

It gets a bad rep but there are probably more public angles than any other circuit in the UK when the full GP circuit is being used. The only problems are a) walking, b) finding them, and c) inconsistent access to areas.

I'm going on Sunday and I was going to ask for tips as it's years since i've been to Silverstone. Thanks to all that have posted the info above as I'm sure it will be of use.

I will post some shots if I get anything worthwhile that is!

Doug

Back