Yet more HDR - re-edited version

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Am sooo loving this program.....

found one of my shots from last years 52....taken in May 2011 when I had even less of an idea on pp than I do now ( if thats possible :eek: )

Only had the jpeg that I originally posted :

Week 19 Divided 1 by llj666, on Flickr

I remember comments about improving the sky etc etc but couldn't do anything with it then , so last night ran it through photomatix & tone mapped it...

Divided 1 edit by llj666, on Flickr

The sky's a bit iffy but guess thats due to the original being a low res jpeg

What do you think....improved ?

cheers

Last edited:
:thinking: Yep :LOL:

Well I think its quite a big improvement - original just looked bland an boring if I was honest.... But then again thats just my tastes :confused:

It has really brought the stonework to life but the almost inevitable haloing is clearly visible around the top of the roof and the top of the tree to the right - needs to be brought back a bit to change that I think, but I'm no expert :)

From Photomatix site:-

How do I reduce/eliminate "halo" or "glow" effects with tone mapping?

Increasing the value of the Smooth Highlights setting (under the "More Options" section) is useful for reducing halos around objects placed against bright backgrounds. The other adjustments that may help are lowering the Strength and/or increasing the value of the Lighting Adjustments setting.

An easier way to avoid halo artifacts is to either use the Tone Compressor method for tone mapping your image, or to process your bracketed photos with Exposure Fusion using the 'Adjust' method. The latter is particularly recommended if you are looking for natural-looking results.

Last edited:
I like the effect on the church and foreground, but not the sky. So why don't you get the sky right on the original using levels, then merge the HDR version on top and mask back the original sky.

It has really brought the stonework to life but the almost inevitable haloing is clearly visible around the top of the roof and the top of the tree to the right - needs to be brought back a bit to change that I think, but I'm no expert :)

From Photomatix site:-

How do I reduce/eliminate "halo" or "glow" effects with tone mapping?

Increasing the value of the Smooth Highlights setting (under the "More Options" section) is useful for reducing halos around objects placed against bright backgrounds. The other adjustments that may help are lowering the Strength and/or increasing the value of the Lighting Adjustments setting.

An easier way to avoid halo artifacts is to either use the Tone Compressor method for tone mapping your image, or to process your bracketed photos with Exposure Fusion using the 'Adjust' method. The latter is particularly recommended if you are looking for natural-looking results.

Thanks Gramps...still finding my round, just thought it was worth playing with this image a bit...love the detail in the church , not so keen on the sky...but it was only 1 low res jpeg...didn't know about multiple exposures back then:bang:

I like the effect on the church and foreground, but not the sky. So why don't you get the sky right on the original using levels, then merge the HDR version on top and mask back the original sky.

Nick...I absolutely love to do that....have no idea about merging images or masks in pse8 though...I keep reading instructions...& keep failing miserably :crying:

Spent the last 2 nights playing about & finding stuff I never knew you could do with PSE8 (y)

So , have given up on the sky....everytime I touch it it just pixelates badly so concentrated on the building....a mix of HDR (single low res jpeg) & playing in PSE8 ...... is this better ?

div2 by llj666, on Flickr

Last edited:
Although we can't see the horizon, I guess it would be better if it was rotated to the left...

Thanks.

Although we can't see the horizon, I guess it would be better if it was rotated to the left...

Thanks.

Have you seen this thread?

As for the image. The original was bland and not interesting to look at, even you admit that. Applying these changes does not alter that in my opinion. The end result is another bland and uninteresting image.

Last edited:
I love HDR pix

Yup , me too...lots to learn & I learn very slowly but love the detail you can bring out :)

Thanks.

Hi ya...the shot was taken at an angle to avoid the various stuff creeping into shot & I didn't want a head on shot but thanks for looking & commenting :)

Have you seen this thread?

As for the image. The original was bland and not interesting to look at, even you admit that. Applying these changes does not alter that in my opinion. The end result is another bland and uninteresting image.

Yup...I've seen that thread & am aware that HDR is a marmite subject....personally I love the effects & detail that you can bring out in an image....

Yup...the original shot was pretty bland which was why I thought I'd have a little play , just to see what could be done & to help me learn how to use Photomatix , thats why I posted & asked for crit/advice

Each to their own in photography , this was a 1st attempt at photographing a building - for my 52 themed week of Divided....it's a church & religion causes many a divide .

I'm still learning & appreciate constructive comments & critique :)

Yup...I've seen that thread & am aware that HDR is a marmite subject....personally I love the effects & detail that you can bring out in an image....

Yup...the original shot was pretty bland which was why I thought I'd have a little play , just to see what could be done & to help me learn how to use Photomatix , thats why I posted & asked for crit/advice

Each to their own in photography , this was a 1st attempt at photographing a building - for my 52 themed week of Divided....it's a church & religion causes many a divide .

I'm still learning & appreciate constructive comments & critique :)

Hola! The reference to the other thread was actually aimed at the person quoted (PitadaVespa) because people whose only critique is "straighten it" had been mentioned :LOL:

Personally, I don't like HDR in most cases. With regards to this image, it lacks interest in my opinion so changing the colours, tones etc isn't going to save it. Of course it's all so subjective, so others may love it :)

Last edited:
If this is taken from one image, then it's not technically HDR. I think HDR can work in some instances, but to me this looks like a case of using a HDR program to try to make an average image more interesting. I'd much prefer to see a more interesting well composed and well exposed image. Sorry if that's a bit harsh.

Back