Yet more RIAT photos (Sat)

Edit My Images
Yes
Not really an airshow person normally but the Vulcan has pulled me back again (the last time I went to RIAT the Vulcan was still being displayed by the RAF!!).

First time as a photographer for RIAT and learn some important lessons. Weather didn't do me any favours but it was still better than Sunday (I called it quits and went home).

Thanks for looking, comments, suggestions, welcome (good or bad)......

Swedish-JAS39A-Gripen-39204-display-photo-1.jpg

Swedish-JAS39A-Gripen-39204-display-photo-2.jpg

Spanish-EF-18A-Hornet-C15-59-12-17-display-photo-4.jpg

RAF-Red-Arrows-solo-photo-1.jpg

Hungarian-JAS39C-Gripen-30-display-photo-2.jpg

Finnish-F-18C-Hornet-HN-450-display-photo-4.jpg

C-27J-Spartan-Display-Photo-1.jpg

Finnish-F-18C-Hornet-HN-450-display-photo-5.jpg

Dutch-F-16AM-J-015-display-photo-2.jpg

Vulcan-B2-XH558-display-photo-1.jpg

I think I can say you've got the hang of airshow photography. Outstanding stuff.

Wow, fantastic set (y) What lens were you using out of interest? So much more detail then I was getting with mine at 400mm

Thanks for the comments guys.

Wow, fantastic set (y) What lens were you using out of interest? So much more detail then I was getting with mine at 400mm

All shot with a 100-400 L IS. The 400mm is useful but still need to crop into the image.

I'd like to make use of my Sigma 300 f/2.8 but 300mm is too short and my results with a Canon 1.4x TC haven't been good. May try a Sigma TC in future.

Superb set :), one minute it was blues skies and bathed in sunshine blink an eye and clouds another blink and total cloud cover. Only been three times and 2006 was without doubt the best year I attended for weather and atmosphere.

Thanks for the comments guys.

All shot with a 100-400 L IS. The 400mm is useful but still need to crop into the image.

I'd like to make use of my Sigma 300 f/2.8 but 300mm is too short and my results with a Canon 1.4x TC haven't been good. May try a Sigma TC in future.

Thanks for the info. I am currently using a Sigma 120-300 2.8 with a Canon 1.4x tx. I assumed the Canon one would be better than the Sigma but I might have to try a Sigma after your comments.

I've been doing some more reading about TCs today and it looks like the only difference is the optical performance. The AF hit is the same. I've seen the figure of 50% minimum loss of AF performance for the 1.4x TC, which explains a lot!

Another great set Gordon.
1st shot does it for me, outstanding.
Dean:)

I've been doing some more reading about TCs today and it looks like the only difference is the optical performance. The AF hit is the same. I've seen the figure of 50% minimum loss of AF performance for the 1.4x TC, which explains a lot!

Hmmm, my AF performance has seemed fine so far. Where the IQ lets me down is when the plans are small in the frame but I am not sure if this is down to the TC, sensor of the 40D, metering, my lack of skill :LOL: or a combination of above. I haven't really had a chance to try with and without yet. However when I get a good shot with the tc on it is still a very sharp image which leads me to believe it is not the tc causing me a problem.

Sorry, I will stop hijacking your thread now :nuts:

The first shot of the Gripen(?) is fabulous. The sheen on the wings of the NZ 757 is first class and really makes this shot work. Brilliantly done.

Ed

top notch :)

Stunning first shot Gord, well done...

what focus settings are you using when TC is used? I tend to use CF.n 17 I think set to expand to 7/13 points for aircraft and focus seems to lock quicker, on AI Servo of course.

Cheers guys!

Hey Stu,

I'm using.....

AI Servo
Centre AF point
C.Fn 13 45/Center
C.Dn 17 Automatic expand (max. 13)
C.Fn 20 Moderately slow
C.Fn 21 Disabled

Head on AF performance isn't bad but as an aircraft passes me and I start to pan it I lose my AF lock. Changing C.Fn 20 to Slow didn't help.

Cheers guys!

Hey Stu,

I'm using.....

AI Servo
Centre AF point
C.Fn 13 45/Center
C.Dn 17 Automatic expand (max. 13)
C.Fn 20 Moderately slow
C.Fn 21 Disabled

Head on AF performance isn't bad but as an aircraft passes me and I start to pan it I lose my AF lock. Changing C.Fn 20 to Slow didn't help.

As I use Gord with the exception being C.Fn 20 which I have at default setting.

That first one's a corker Gord :clap::clap: The rest are not bad either.

I'm still struggling through my Waddo pics and praying I finally get to see the Vulcan in the air this weekend at East Fortune. If not I'm going to call it quits on the tin triangle at Leuchars... :)

Al

As I use Gord with the exception being C.Fn 20 which I have at default setting.

I believe the moderately slow setting I'd the same as standard on the N model, or at least it has been suggested it is.

Considering if I would be better going back to the 400 f/5.6.

That first one's a corker Gord :clap::clap: The rest are not bad either.

I'm still struggling through my Waddo pics and praying I finally get to see the Vulcan in the air this weekend at East Fortune. If not I'm going to call it quits on the tin triangle at Leuchars... :)

Al

Thanks Al, didn't know you were in this forum.

I've been lucky with the Vulcan so far, seen it three times out of four.

Have you tried it on your other body Gord? You could drop Karl an email as I think he tried the TC's on his lens but what results he got I don't know>

Have you tried it on your other body Gord? You could drop Karl an email as I think he tried the TC's on his lens but what results he got I don't know>

Yes, the 40D is even worse with the 300 plus the 1.4x TC.

I'll give Karl an e-mail, I didn't know he had tried a TC, but from memory he has a 400 L f/5.6 so I bet I know what he will say! :LOL:

Cheers.

Good set of images Gord, great display from the Vulcan on the Saturday, flew right over our heads at Totterdown Farm, some fantastic displays from the F16 and F18 was well

Back