Beginner YN565EX, YN622NTX and YN622N

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have recently bought a YN622nTX with 2 Yn622n and am trying to use them with my YN656ex.

I set the YN565ex to TTL and put it on a light stand about 45 degrees to my right, high up with the head pointing down and set the TX to TTL, I can get the flash to fire but the picture is way over exposed. I though as it is TTL it should expose the picture correctly.

What am I doing wrong? The zoom on the tx is set to AU.

Thank you

Kev

Hi

I have recently bought a YN622nTX with 2 Yn622n and am trying to use them with my YN656ex.

I set the YN565ex to TTL and put it on a light stand about 45 degrees to my right, high up with the head pointing down and set the TX to TTL, I can get the flash to fire but the picture is way over exposed. I though as it is TTL it should expose the picture correctly.

What am I doing wrong? The zoom on the tx is set to AU.

Thank you

Kev
Any flash exp comp set? You'll need to check at the camera, the TX and the flashgun just to make sure. Also are all the contacts clean and all the hot shoes firmly connected. I'm guessing the flashgun is sat on a 622 but you didn't say it was.

Does the power vary as you adjust the ISO? You should be able to make it really weak with a high ISO and large aperture.
What happens if you set the mode to Manual and adjust it? Can you see the settings change on the flash lcd display?
Can you show us a sample image? It might not be overexposed, but with bare flash the harsh light can appear brighter than it is.

Hi Phil,

Yes the flash is set on the YN622n. No flash exp comp is set on either the TX or the camera. For some reason I am getting better results using manual as opposed to TTL where they are random. Not tried changing the ISO but have set the shutter 1/200 and tried various f stops from 5.6 to 8. Just tried checking if the numbers of the back of the flash changes as I change the items on the TX and nothing changes on the flash. I have also tried it with the sb800 and again all it shows is TTL but nothing changes if I set the group to manual on the tx.

I was watching a youtube video where all the changes made on the tx were shown on the YN565 and YN568.

Could this be a fault with the triggers or is this down to user error?

Thank you

Kev

You should see the changes IIRC, I have used older flash guns where the screen stayed at ETTL but comes still worked for exposure.

As an aside, I'd be using Manual mode in a static situation, once set you know it's right, whereas TTL would change the output if your model has a change of outfit.

Thanks, I am going to see if I can reset the flash and try again.

What mode do you have the flash set to? on-camera or remote?

I have this set of kit at home. I'm pretty sure you have to have the flash set to manual and the transmitter will do the 'E-TTL' work for you. I believe that if the flash is in E-TTL mode, the transmitter will not be able to control the flash power. I'll try it out when I get home and let you know.

What mode do you have the flash set to? on-camera or remote?

Hi Andy,

Flash is set to TTL as per the other vids I have seen.

Thanks

Kev

I have this set of kit at home. I'm pretty sure you have to have the flash set to manual and the transmitter will do the 'E-TTL' work for you. I believe that if the flash is in E-TTL mode, the transmitter will not be able to control the flash power. I'll try it out when I get home and let you know.

Hi Tim,

Thank you, yes please. I have not tried putting the flash in Manual. I have reset the Triggers but still cannot workout how to reset the flash, when I did some tests today I had random shots that were way over exposed with all the other setting on the flash, camera and triggers being the same.

Kev

I had a similar problem, I wasn't setting the YN622N's to TTL. Eventually fugured you ave to hold the Group/Mode button intil it turns green and then release, or flashes green and then release. One of those two.

Steve,
Thanks, will check that out. They work but it is random where it over exposes.

Do you have the mk II or mk I version of the flash?

Mine are YN565EX mk II. All I do is put the flash on the YN-622C, turn the flash on, turn the receiver on, turn the transmitter on and it is then all controlled via the transmitter.

My one is a mark 1. I have checked and cleaned the contacts. Will try and get some shots tomorrow.

Thanks

If it's random, it's a connection problem.
I'll elaborate:
When the comms signals don't work, the flashgun has no idea what's required so puts out a full power flash. Comms will fail due to something as simple as a dirty contact, or as complicated as a broken flash or camera.

Does the flash function properly when camera mounted?

I'll elaborate:
When the comms signals don't work, the flashgun has no idea what's required so puts out a full power flash. Comms will fail due to something as simple as a dirty contact, or as complicated as a broken flash or camera.

Does the flash function properly when camera mounted?

On camera it works fine. I have reset both the YN622n and YN622tx as well.

Thanks

Just tried setting the flash to manual and triggers to ttl and that did not work.

Thanks

Just tried setting the flash to manual and triggers to ttl and that did not work.

Thanks
That's because it's the wrong way round. If they're like Canon the flashes need to be started in TTL mode for the comms to work. It confuses some people when the flash has to be TTL for it to work in manual

Just swapped the batteries in the flash and took a number of shots in ttl and although they were a bit underexposed I did not get any over exposure shots. I wonder if it is an issue with the 7ds good to go batts. I did make sure they were fully charged before using them. I have put in a set of eneloops for now and will have a play tomorrow.

Thank you all for the help and suggestions.

Kev

Just swapped the batteries in the flash and took a number of shots in ttl and although they were a bit underexposed I did not get any over exposure shots. I wonder if it is an issue with the 7ds good to go batts. I did make sure they were fully charged before using them. I have put in a set of eneloops for now and will have a play tomorrow.

Kev
Perhaps I am missing something or got the wrong end of the stick, but are you using YN622N which is for Nikon on a Canon camera? Unless I am very much mistaken a YN622C is for Canon

Steve,

I am using the YN622n and Yn622tx-n with the Yn565ex nikon flash.

Perhaps I am missing something or got the wrong end of the stick, but are you using YN622N which is for Nikon on a Canon camera? Unless I am very much mistaken a YN622C is for Canon
I think the "7ds" is 7dayshop. ;)

He uses a Nikon.

I have a 622tx and 622n transceivers - albeit with sb700 and sb900 flashes. Set the guns to TTL, set the transceivers on the guns to TTL and the choose whether manual or TTL on the 622tx. Sometimes I have had an error as you describe when the hot shoes were not screwed up properly causing a bad contact.
If you are still stuck, PM me and I will help you.

I have had a go using new batteries and it all seemed to work okay. Only had the odd over exposure.

I have found these units quite power hungry, have been considering getting Eneloops.

The triggers, in fact I frequently turn the controller off between shots as I can see the power bars reducing. having said that, I'm just using regular rechargeable batteries so maybe it's them. My flashes are SB800's and they are brilliant at holding their charge.

Thanks, the triggers seem to be okay. I am using the 7day shop good to go batteries. I do have some eneloops but tend to use them in the flash as opposed to triggers.

Back