Beginner Yongnuo flash trigger controller - what am I doing wrong?

Name
Amanda
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I've got a set of triggers which work fine so I decided to get the controller too but either it's not working or I'm a doofus (most likely).
Using just 2 triggers on TTL I get this pic of Susan (no critique pls, it's just an illustration) which looks to me like the TTL is working fine: (unedited)
aaa trigger-1.jpg

Then, I swap the trigger on top of the camera to a controller using this setting (trigger set to A1):
aaa IMG_6307.JPG

This makes my flash tell me to move it to manual:
aaa IMG_6310.JPG

So I do but then this happens, or the flash won't even fire at all:
aaa trigger-2.jpg

What's going on. How should I have set-up the controller???
Any help appreciated.
x

What group is the receiver in that the flash is on?

I'm suspecting B which has no communication setting on the transmitter.

What happens when the flash is in ttl, but the tx unit is set to manual?

When you adjust using the tx unit does it change?

1. Make sure everything is seated properly and all contacts are clean
2. You should be able to see changes made on the flash by the TX unit (you don't nee to set up a dummy), as Kev says you should be able to set TTL, M etc, set power levels or FEC and see it working.

If you can't see the changes, there's something wrong with the radio signals - check batteries, and make sure they're not too close together, that can upset some radio devices.

After opening the back, looking at the contacts then putting it on manual, it seems to now be working on both manual and TTL. Working with more than one flash too so all good.
It's great but I haven't changed anything so if it happened again, I wouldn't know what to do cos I don't know what was wrong.
Might swap the unit cos it seems that everything was setup correctly.

Really appreciate the help guys.
cheers
A

After opening the back, looking at the contacts then putting it on manual, it seems to now be working on both manual and TTL. Working with more than one flash too so all good.
It's great but I haven't changed anything so if it happened again, I wouldn't know what to do cos I don't know what was wrong.
Might swap the unit cos it seems that everything was setup correctly.

Really appreciate the help guys.
cheers
A
The most likely reason it that it wasn't seated properly.

The flash should always be on TTL if you want to control the power from the 622TX. Even when you have that flash group set to manual. The reason is the whole Nikon implementation is a gigantic bodge but it's not Yongnuo's fault: the only way for Yongnuo to have the receiver set the power on a Nikon flash is by emulating the on-camera TTL mode. All the flash units in a YN622N setup (regardless of whether you use another 622N or a 622N-TX on the camera) all think they are mounted on the camera. Changing modes on the TX will not make anything visible happen on the back of the flash - it will always say "TTL". The only thing you can drive in real time is the flash zoom, if it has one. This is also couterintuitive as you have to set "manual flash zoom" to "off" on the flash for this to work. The YN622 receiver emulates the camera telling the flash to zoom in sync with the lens. If you set the flash to manual, the YN622 will still trigger it, but the power selections you make back on the 622TX will have no effect - it will just fire at whatever it is set to on the actual flash unit, and it won't listen to the camera at all. Note - it's advisable to do this if you want to fire the flashes remotely at full power, as setting them to manual 1/1 on the TX, still requires a useless test flash which nicks a bit of your power and you may not get 1/1 anyway!

Things that go wrong with the 622 setup: small pieces of the bubble wrap the TX came in are on the foot. Low batteries.. and as Phil said - flash not seated properly in the receiver hot shoe, or TX not seated on camera etc; and buggy firmware - update to the latest 1.08 http://www.hkyongnuo.com/e-detaily.php?ID=339 Make sure remote flashes are set to "on" - not "remote" and SU-4 mode is also disabled.. (your SB700 look like it's setup correctly in the picture).

Back