Yongnuo ST-E2

Will be interesting.

Canon desperately needs an ST-E3, very pronto.

Or for them to just go radio ttl and wipe out at a glance all the crap and gubbins of external radio triggers attached to hotshoes and dangling off flahsguns, not to mention the unreliable implementation of ttl by PW Flex.. Come on Canon, ffs.

Indeed, but I think it's a long time coming!

Read an article in this month digital photo magazing (I think) Canon got a slating due to its old technology with regards to flash.

I suppose we can only use the best we're offered though :(

Indeed, but I think it's a long time coming!

Read an article in this month digital photo magazing (I think) Canon got a slating due to its old technology with regards to flash.

I suppose we can only use the best we're offered though :(

they have pattented wifi based remote flash control :D

:D

That'll be nice.....

Means I'll need a new body, flash equipment etc - sounds like a good excuse to me! ;)

Will be interesting.

Canon desperately needs an ST-E3, very pronto.

Or for them to just go radio ttl and wipe out at a glance all the crap and gubbins of external radio triggers attached to hotshoes and dangling off flahsguns, not to mention the unreliable implementation of ttl by PW Flex.. Come on Canon, ffs.

^^^ (y)

Fantastic! Any chance you'll be getting some in soon?? :D

They haven't been launched yet (afaik), however for me the main issue is going to be price. David Hobby quotes around half the street price of the Canon product, which by the time VAT (remember the impending increase) etc are factored in would probably mean a UK street price of around £90-100 come early next year.

The $64,000 question is would you pay £100 for a Chinese copy?

They haven't been launched yet (afaik), however for me the main issue is going to be price. David Hobby quotes around half the street price of the Canon product, which by the time VAT (remember the impending increase) etc are factored in would probably mean a UK street price of around £90-100 come early next year.

Ummm - possibly not.

If it does the things that the 580EX does as master, but the Canon ST-E2 does not, then yes - eg greater range, more zone controls, and a couple of other things too I think (HSS? not sure bout that though).

hmmmm no zone more zone controls, but improved range.... I think I'd rather have another 580 but this would be a nice stopgap as it kinda adds another flash to your arsenal for 1/3-1/4 the cost

And it's looking very good! :)

Double the range (y)
Rotating head (y)
Runs on AAs (not expensive lithiums) (y)
Half the price (y) (y)

It is about £89 at eBay and this price is more attractive now.

I think this seller is trying to sell it even cheaper on their company's website if you can locate it.

However, I am still indecisive to have this ST-E2 or the Pixel TR-332 for Canon which uses 2.4 kHz radio signal instead of IR (ST-E2). My friend has the TR-332 and he tested on his 5D2 with Nissin Di866. He can achieve sync speed (HSS) of 1/8000s with no problem as all but that device is kinda behind on its compatibility i.e. it does not support so much Canon camera and flashes.

Both of these systems have Cons and Pros but if that's ONLY a very slim difference in price, it's hard to pick!

I know all these systems cannot rear curtain sync...but I discovered that even 580EXII Master to 580EXII Slave can't second curtain sync either! Read More Here. Canon STE2 vs. 580EX Master. I think ONLY Pocket Wizard's MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 offers that ability (correct me if I am wrong) but I am too budget-minded to pay that extra huge bit for the rear curtain feature.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
It is about £89 at eBay and this price is more attractive now.

I think this seller is trying to sell it even cheaper on their company's website if you can locate it.

However, I am still indecisive to have this ST-E2 or the Pixel TR-332 for Canon which uses 2.4 kHz radio signal instead of IR (ST-E2). My friend has the TR-332 and he tested on his 5D2 with Nissin Di866. He can achieve sync speed (HSS) of 1/8000s with no problem as all but that device is kinda behind on its compatibility i.e. it does not support so much Canon camera and flashes.

Both of these systems have Cons and Pros but if that's ONLY a very slim difference in price, it's hard to pick!

I know all these systems cannot rear curtain sync...but I discovered that even 580EXII Master to 580EXII Slave can't second curtain sync either! Read More Here. Canon STE2 vs. 580EX Master. I think ONLY Pocket Wizard's MiniTT1 & FlexTT5 offers that ability (correct me if I am wrong) but I am too budget-minded to pay that extra huge bit for the rear curtain feature.

Any suggestions?

I don't have any personal experience of the Pixel TR-322, but they had a self-styled "European Distributor" who, after testing, decided not to bother importing them, so.....:shrug:

Back