YONGNUO YN-468 any good?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Have been looking for a "decent" flash for a while for using both on and off camera to experiment with on portraits, I have NO experience with this at all. I did post about a flash before but lost intrest as the summer came in and I could go out in the long evenings. so basicalll is the YONGNUO YN-468 any good both on and off camera, will probably just use a cable at the minute for off camera. I can get it for £60.

Cheers Ian

There were problems with the YN468 when it came out at first, iirc to do with the display, they've probably been rectified by now though...

TBH, you'd be better off spending another £40 and getting a Nissin Di622. Bullet-proof reliability.

Another vote here for the Di622, just bought one myself.

If you cant run to that then grab a metz 36 af-4, you can pick them up new around the £70 - £80 mark and as it works with your camera via E-TTL you will get decent exposures without the trial and error of having to use manual mode.

Most I know who have bought the flash you mention have done so to use it as a slave flash

Better build quality and reliability.

Thanks guys I will have a look at the ones suggested, alothough I am seeign the 430EX go for £130 on here which I could probably strech too or would the other 3rd parties mentioned do just as good a job?

I would go for the Canon if you get offered one around that price, if not then the Nissin, the only bonus the Nissin has is the off shoe slave facility, but the Canon is designed for the camera.

I own both the nissin and the yongnao, the nissin is great on the camera, it's high guide number has helped out in many party situations where the light is weak, the only down fall is the off the camera, the slave function is hit and miss and you can't trigger them with the cheap triggers from FITP/eBay.

The yongnao I bought to fill the gap the nissin left, it has a 100% fire history using the FITP/eBay triggers, I've never used it on my camera as it lacks TTL capacity.

I'd say it depends what you need the flash for really

I own both the nissin and the yongnao, the nissin is great on the camera, it's high guide number has helped out in many party situations where the light is weak, the only down fall is the off the camera, the slave function is hit and miss and you can't trigger them with the cheap triggers from FITP/eBay.

The yongnao I bought to fill the gap the nissin left, it has a 100% fire history using the FITP/eBay triggers, I've never used it on my camera as it lacks TTL capacity.

I'd say it depends what you need the flash for really

At least the Nissin has a slave function. Canon only have one on the 580EXII

Before you buy, you must think carefully how you intend to use it. Do you want to use it in camera with ETTL? Then I suggest you get at lest 430ex.
If you only want to use it off camera then get yungnoa flash, but I would still get a 540ez.
You need to think of future proofing your gear, cheap flash like nissin even stigma flash might not work on future camera bodies...

Hi guys, interesting post.

I'm too looking for a flashgun and have considered all of the options. I currently have a 350d, and plan to upgrade to 600d next year. I'm considering the 430EXII, Nissin Di622, Metz 36 and YN-468

I'm not looking for anything too elaborate, its going to be mainly used shoe mounted for portrate photography (mostly of the kits). But, would like compatibility with the 350d and 600d.

Any recommendations? I guess things have moved on a little since the last post. For example, I know the YN-468 will soon be 600d compatable.

Any thoughts?

Back