Yongnuo YN460 II on a D3100

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Helloo

I'm having some trouble (or im being a numpty) setting up this flash on my D3100.

I put it on the shoe mount, screw it down and turn the flash on (on manual/shutter prio) and it doesnt fire.

I've turned it on, its charged up and nothing happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Anyone? Is there a test function or something on it so I can at least test of it works? I think I may have a dud?

I think I have this same flash (which I originally used on a D3100 until moving to a D7k recently). I'll pop back this evening when I've checked and may possibly have some advice.

A few things to check:

1. Is the flash pushed fully in to the hot shoe? If it's out even a bit it might not fire.

2. Does it fire when you press the test button on the flash with the flash off the camera.

3. Try a set of new batteries in the flash. Sometimes if the batteries are on their way out they have enough juice to light the controls, but not to fire the flash.

1. I'll double check this, im pretty sure it was, it was pushed as far forward and screwed as much down as possible

2. Is the test button the pilot button? I got it second hand without instructions. If it is the pilot button then no it doesn't.

3. Have done, I bought a new pack of batteries when i got it - these ones to be exact. I also tried various different sets that i had in the house too, all of them powered up and the flash charged but no fire.

Hmm,
YN460II_5.jpg

That's the back of it, would you say the pilot button is the test?

Yes, a quick google search for the functions of this flash show that "Pilot button for test flash".

I'd say you have a faulty flash if the batteries are good and it doesn't fire with the test button.

Shame as in my experience these are pretty reliable flashes. I've used mine loads with no problems.

Edit: sometimes you have to push the test button very firmly.

Last edited:
What lights show when you switch it on?

Just to check, you are aware that you need to hold the on button down for a few seconds for it to switch on and off?

Yes, a quick google search for the functions of this flash show that "Pilot button for test flash".

Oh balls... :(

Edit: sometimes you have to push the test button very firmly.

I'll test it again and press it really hard, I was doing so anyway as i read that the buttons can be a bit pants.

What lights show when you switch it on?

Just to check, you are aware that you need to hold the on button down for a few seconds for it to switch on and off?

All the lights along the cross of the power bit run along and then skip back to 1 when its on. The pilot button is red for a little while and then it switches to green. Turning off is the same process.

I tried firing the on camera flash at the sensor at the front too when it was on S1/S2 and it didn't flash then either..

All the lights along the cross of the power bit run along and then skip back to 1 when its on.

Real dumb@ss question, but what power setting have you got the flash on? Full power or lowest power? Just that reading your info above I can't help but wonder if 1 is assigned to the left hand side of the power scale which would be the lowest flash setting and might not be seen when you set the flash off.

Also, this may not be the case at all but thought it worth asking.

Real dumb@ss question, but what power setting have you got the flash on? Full power or lowest power? Just that reading your info above I can't help but wonder if 1 is assigned to the left hand side of the power scale which would be the lowest flash setting and might not be seen when you set the flash off.

Also, this may not be the case at all but thought it worth asking.

I've tested it on all settings.

Yeah I tested it through the whole range after I tried it on 3 different settings just to make sure it wasn't user error.

I'll try it all again when I get in and then I'll begin the usually lengthy process of returning something to an eBay seller and trying to claim my money back.

Guess when this is done i'll just buy a YN 560 II new.

Hope it works out well.

FWIW, I've got the 560 II and it's a good flash, but it's a right pain when I've got it on a light stand as you can't see the LCD display unless you're looking directly at it, so I either have to climb on a chair or keep lowering and raising the light stand so I can alter the power on the flash.
I've also just bought a TT520 flash which is great as an OCF. Same controls as the YN460 you're having problems with, but only cost me £27 and I can see everything from the light stand as little blue lights show me what controls are set to.

Cheers for the info, i'll bear that in mind!

I want it as an all rounder really, more off camera than on. It probably wont get used all that often which is why I'm going for something other than a Nikon SBxxx

Seller replied straight away and its getting sent back today for a full refund! Top lad!

Back