Yorkshire Dales

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi Folks, Not been on here for years, Spent the last few hours looking at the amazing photography work from everyone, Great to see. I may have to spend a bit more time on here over the next few months while my Landscape passion returns as i am a sport photographer stepping out of my comfort zone,

Anyhoooo I am looking at taking my first visit to the yorkshire dales in a few weeks and wondering if anyone has a little bit of local knowledge of nice photo locations or some hidden gems in the area, I will be heading down for a long weekend so looking for a few ideas.

All help is greatly appreciated :) :D

:fuji::fuji:
www.cmc-images.com

What sort of landscapes do you like, mountains, waterfalls, trees? And where abouts will you be based?

What sort of landscapes do you like, mountains, waterfalls, trees? And where abouts will you be based?
I like Lone Trees and Waterfalls that's my main thing, Don't really know where to be based as of yet. research is defo required. Like the idea of the Ribblehead viaduct but that's all i know.

The "classic" lone tree is at Malham cove, the highest waterfall in the country is cautley spout near Sedbergh but it's probably not the most photogenic. There is the Ingleton waterfalls trail, which you have to pay for, but you can access Thornton Force from the top end at Kingsdale without paying. Aysgarth falls are a Dales classic and the whole area around Hawes - Garsdale and Wensleydale is well worth a visit. Also if you are around Hawes it's worth visiting the Red Squirrels at Snaizeholme, they are fed and quite tame so easy to snap. It's also easy to get to Swaledale from Hawes.

In terms of dales themselves, Littondale and Swaledale are probably my favourites. Kettlewell or Grassington make good centres for the south eastern dales such as Littondale and Wharfedale.

There are a couple of "lone trees" in separate locations just off the road from Langcliffe to Malham. Waterfalls abound! I live in the Dales (Settle) and haven't been to them all yet. As a base I'd suggest Settle or Hawes. Ribblehead is half-an-hour drive from either.

I actually think the Malham tree is quite poor compositionally. The better ones are around the limestone pavements near Langliffe, Ingleton or Feizor. There must be more dotted around too. I don't think you can go too far wrong basing yourself around Settle, just depends where you want to get to

I spent a couple of months working near Leeds Bradford airport earlier in the year, this gave me access to the southern end of the Yorkshire dales in the evenings. I put together a few images, some lone trees and waterfalls which may help. I'm certainly not a local like @Stephen L but found it fairly easy with a bit of research to find some decent locations. Hope this helps

http://www.davidyeomanphotography.co.uk/#/project-yorkshire-dales/

Back