Yosemite

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I keep thinking more and more about going to Yosemite for the first time and I've been looking about and trying to do some research but I've got to say it's quite confusing.

Does anyone have any trip advice?

I'm thinking I'll probably spend a full two weeks there (or 10 days and a few days in San Fran).

I need advice from start to finish really.

From what I gather, it's best to fly to San Francisco and get a hire car and drive to Yosemite.

Are the roads to Yosemite from San Francisco open all year?

Is it better to book car rental in advance and whats the chances of getting a more exotic american car like a Mustang? (Seems to be all european cars from what I see?).

I've been reading bits and bobs like reservations for the park, is this something I need to do, especially if I wanted to hike up half dome?

Hotels seem fairly expensive, and as it stands I may go on my own so £1500+ for a basic hotel is way out of reach. Whats it like for camping? Camp curry seems fine to an extent but whats the possibility of wild camping higher up and out of site?

In terms of bears, is it safe to wild camp higher up with them about?

Whats the best time of year to go? Especially as I'd perhaps want to go up to glacier point etc if I'm there for a prolonged period.

Any ideas on costs etc?

Any extra ideas?

Thanks, James

I have booked Yosemite for this coming Autumn. It's an organised trip flying into LA then on to Fresno staying in 2 mountain lodges over 9 days.

I understand they limit access to Half Dome on busy days so I would avoid school holidays.
As for bears and camping, there seems to be a few camp sites on the web and I expect as long as you're careful and don't make a problem there won't be one.
Camping is not my cup of tea these days.

I am tempted to stay in LA for a few days on the return leg though.

James

You're probably better asking those questions on something like Tripadvisor, the forums over there offer a wealth of travel advice.

I'm actually considering a similar trip this year, but flying in to Vegas and doing a circular route (Yosemite, SF, down the West coast to LA, back to Vegas)....just in the planning stages but its a strong contender for our 2013 holiday!

I have booked Yosemite for this coming Autumn. It's an organised trip flying into LA then on to Fresno staying in 2 mountain lodges over 9 days.

I understand they limit access to Half Dome on busy days so I would avoid school holidays.
As for bears and camping, there seems to be a few camp sites on the web and I expect as long as you're careful and don't make a problem there won't be one.
Camping is not my cup of tea these days.

I am tempted to stay in LA for a few days on the return leg though.

Is that with tatra photography?
If so I'm booked on the same trip ;)

Hi all,

I keep thinking more and more about going to Yosemite for the first time and I've been looking about and trying to do some research but I've got to say it's quite confusing.

Does anyone have any trip advice?

I'm thinking I'll probably spend a full two weeks there (or 10 days and a few days in San Fran).

I need advice from start to finish really.

I spent 2 weeks in Yosemite, Curry Village, 15 years ago. I would go back tomorrow ...

From what I gather, it's best to fly to San Francisco and get a hire car and drive to Yosemite.

Its easy to do this - its the way I did it.. - long drive though...

Are the roads to Yosemite from San Francisco open all year?

NO..... - think they reopen the pass in April till late october ish..

Is it better to book car rental in advance and whats the chances of getting a more exotic american car like a Mustang? (Seems to be all european cars from what I see?).

Save your money - the standard mustang is not as impreesive to drive as it looks - get any car with air con (normally most of them)

I've been reading bits and bobs like reservations for the park, is this something I need to do, especially if I wanted to hike up half dome?

I did every hike from Curry village - except the John Muir Trail. If you are fit & used to walking the hikes are relatively easy - What gets most people in not taking water with them - It gets hot in the hills...

Hotels seem fairly expensive, and as it stands I may go on my own so £1500+ for a basic hotel is way out of reach. Whats it like for camping?

Stay in the resort...

Camp curry seems fine to an extent but whats the possibility of wild camping higher up and out of site?

I wouldn't bother - Curry is well positioned.

In terms of bears, is it safe to wild camp higher up with them about?

What definition of safe do you want >?

Whats the best time of year to go? Especially as I'd perhaps want to go up to glacier point etc if I'm there for a prolonged period.

Summer - take a large camelpack hydration system

Any ideas on costs etc?

not any more

Any extra ideas?

If you go from San Fran, you can also visit the Senora pass - very high up & scenic or if from LA the also visit Mammoth Ski resort.

Pete

Last edited:
It's a real easy drive from Reno Nevada and there is a spectacular ghost town on the way Bodie. Driving is easy you dont need the expense of a tour DIY, I have done all of Arizona ans Utha like that then if you dont like a place you just drive on. You can find hotels easily everywhere but Monument to stay the same night we dont book anything except the first night for immigration

I stayed at Yosemite Bug, on the route into it -good spot with cabins on the hillside. Totally agree about Mustangs, massive letdown - ended up swapping for a bog standard Ford 4WD, was spot on.
I was there in April - central areas all open, but chunks of it still under 2M snow so inaccessible - still kept me very busy for a week! Plus side of that season is the waterfalls are all in full flow due to melting snow, which high season they're not at all. Half Dome needs to be booked a LONG time in advance.
There are some great drives round there, Hetch Hetchy reservoir etc, I didnt make it to Bodie due to bad weather but would have loved to..

Some images here, that don't do the scale of the place justice:
http://www.benwoodbridge.com/Travel/Yosemite/16750090_rDZ9c4

Do go though, its an amazing place, and I can't wait to go back!

Hey,

Stayed at Camp Curry for 4 days in September. It was awesome. As per the poster above, I'd go back in a heartbeat.

Camping is indeed fine, we stayed in the tent village (the one with the Hanta virus lol!) and didn't see sight nor sound of bears; there are specific instructions on how to manage the bear risk, mainly keep everything scented (and that means everything, soap, perfume, food, drink other than water, etc) in the bear proof lock boxes. The bears arn't interested in you they want the food.

As we were only there for four days we only did the obvious stuff. We did however make it up to Touloume Meadows which is well worth the trip:

Touloume Meadows, Sierra Nevada, Yosemite National Park by Pheo, on Flickr

Mountain Shelter by Pheo, on Flickr

Deer Me by Pheo, on Flickr

Otherwise, Glacier point is worthwhile visiting, if nothing else to take in the vista:

El Capitan by Pheo, on Flickr

Vernal Falls is awesome too, I would keep walking further than me though - check this out! http://www.flickr.com/photos/karstenmay/8305864275/

Thats what we didn't do - continue to hike much further. When I go back (I hope!) I would do more walking. Its hard work but rewarding. Do watch the times of years you go for the falls.

Hope that helps a little to give you some ideas. Make sure you leave some time to saviour the ambience of the valley too. I found it incredibly relaxing!

Back