which do you prefer?

Votes: 4 10.8%

Votes: 33 89.2%

• Total voters
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In an attempt to improve our rudimentary photography skills, my girlfriend and I have embarked on a weekly photo competition, based on consecutive alphabetic themes. The challenge being to take photo's that are technically competent and that stretch us creatively.

We alternate each week who chooses the theme, which has to begin with the next letter of the alphabet. We have one week to complete, prior to sharing, but thought that external review from fellow TP'ers would also be helpful.

And so onto this week's theme - Jack - although it appears i may have well have just said Jack Daniels :LOL: - perhaps an insight to our collective thinking :nuts:

please let us have any feedback, critique, or just vote which you prefer

P1030092.jpg

Jackm.jpg

As always, thanks for looking, all feedback appreciated, or just a quick vote via the poll (y)

Thanks to all that have viewed, commented and voted on the previous weeks theme's :clap:

M

2 for me by quite a long way (sorry)

#1...... the card seems soft or OOF, and don't get the relevance of the hat.

#2...... has a great POV, the selective colour works without standing out, and also is better lit. (Maybe the logo a tiny tad up and left (or the glass a tiny tad right if you want a nit-pick)).

I agree number 2 but I think I'd prefer the logo smaller and in the top right corner. Not sure if I'd change my mind after I saw it though.

I understand the hat and card but I think the light background is distracting. Also I don't know what the main focus is - the card or the bottle?

No.2 for me.... No.1 looks a bit soft.

Thirsty work all that picture taking :beer:

Too hard to vote (maybe I'll enlist some help to judge next June's disposable comp!)

So, a little C&C.

#1 seems a bit soft to me too. Especially the labels. Nicely composed and visualised though.

#2 Well, I'm not at all a fan of colour popping, so it's on a loser already BUT, it's a lot sharper. Shame the whiskey in the glass has gone a bit cloudy - too long between pouring over the rocks and shooting, probably.

Actually, decision made - off to vote for #2!

Thanks Nod for the feedback, critique and voting across the series, very much appreciated (y)

M

No problem! Getting some practice in for next June's disposable competition judging! All I can (and do) give is my honest opinion. I'm no expert but I do know what I like and why.

Enjoying the series of challenges. How's the scoring going so far? Is it you or the GF in the lead?

Thanks again, bit of a secret now shared, the whiskey in the glass was actually a very weak mix of instant coffee and lots of cold water - no point in wasting Jack!:D

with regard to scoring, i will leave that until the end of the challenge...:LOL:

I can, however, confirm that Imperfection generated the most votes, and Hands was the closest result ;)

cheers,

M

Definitely Number 2

Number one doesn't work for me because:
1. The first image is low key but the detail in the hat and the table disappear
2. The background is slightly distracting
3. The presence of the card in the hat: It is a jack, but its presence doesn't add much to the picture and draws attention away from the subject, which I presume is the bottle of JD.
4. Likewise, it's unclear what purpose the hat serves in the image
5. There are elements of the neck label and the dust on the hat which don't appear to be in focus.

Number two works for me because
1. Focus: All relevant elements of the image are in sharp focus
2. Composition: There is no ambiguity about the subject matter. No extraneous elements to draw the eye
3. Colour: just colouring the drink again draws the focus. It says to me "This is all about the drink"
4. Table: There is just enough table for the drink and glass to rest on and not be floating in space, yet not enough to wonder whether there is supposed to be something else on the table

Purpose: The first could be an invitation to a poker night, or an advert for JD, or for hats, whereas the second could only be an advert for Jack Daniels. The clarity of purpose also gives more strength to the second image.

Possible composition improvement:
The 'Jack Daniels' logo could be aligned better with the glass underneath. Why? Because there is an element of 'dead space' to the right of the glass which is taken up by the width of the logo above. Moving the logo a little bit to the left and cropping some of the empty space to mirror the gap between the bottle and the edge on the other side would add a certain symmetry which I feel would strengthen the composition.

I think the idea of the weekly challenge is an absolutely brilliant one. Looking forward to the next one!

Well done

Many thanks Toks, great feedback, will help us improve i'm sure (y)

Next theme is 'Listening' - should be up in a few days...:)

M

Technically shot 2 is better but I prefer shot 1, better thought out less like a dull magazine product shot.

Back