which do you prefer?

Votes: 29 87.9%

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In an attempt to improve our rudimentary photography skills, my girlfriend and I have embarked on a weekly photo competition, based on consecutive alphabetic themes. The challenge being to take photo's that are technically competent and that stretch us creatively.

We alternate each week who chooses the theme, which has to begin with the next letter of the alphabet. We have one week to complete, prior to sharing, but thought that external review from fellow TP'ers would also be helpful.

And so onto this week's theme - Music

please let us have any feedback, critique, or just vote which you prefer (y)

beats3b.jpg

musice.jpg

As always, thanks for looking, all feedback appreciated, or just a quick vote via the poll (y)

Thanks to all that have viewed, commented and voted on the previous weeks theme's :love:

M

(y) Thanks Sammi, much appreciated feedback, feel free to have a look at the previous entries if the mood takes you :D

M

Number 1 for me too, like the lighting and the simplicity (choice of music a bit suspect!)
2 looks like an ebay listing, sorry!

Thanks Chris (y)

musical taste is a very subjective matter though...:D

cheers

M

Thanks for the feedback & critique Jenna, appreciated...(y)

M

No1 for me too....

Perhaps number 2 could be improved by putting the record on the turntable, playing it, and taking a slow shutter speed shot but focussing on the centre spindle of the player?? Just a thought as I wouldnt be able to do that! LOL!

Number 1 takes it on this challenge for me.

Number 1:
It's clear, symmetrical and simple. Earphones are sharp, screen is in crisp focus. Only small point for suggestion in post processing would be to perhaps fade the reflection of the mp3 player slightly, perhaps by adding a little vignetting. There is good space around the focus points and nothing in the background to draw the eye unnecessarily. It would maybe then look like the perfect Apple advert, or Seal, sponsored by Apple. It looks very much like a commercial or product photograph. Crisp, clear, simple and direct.

Number 2:
Good composition, with two small inputs – For my taste, the image is underexposed and therefore a little dark. That might also contribute to the feeling that the capture could be sharper/crisper.
The one suggestion I would make for number two, regarding composition is that it isn’t always necessary to include the entire subject to convey the message. Focussing in closely on the record label with enough of the vinyl in the picture would make it clear that you are looking at a record, and in that way, you can draw the viewer’s focus into the image.

Conclusion: Number 1 wins because it’s better lit and has some space around the subject. Number two is underexposed and feels a little busy.

Keep 'em coming :)

Toughie, I like them both. But the first is better lit, the second is just a little too underexposed for my taste.

Nice to see both razor sharp!

To me, #1 is more indicative of sound than music, with the image being the only indication of music.

#2 (again, to me but an opinion shared by others it seems) is just a bit too underexposed. A little lighter would still be dark and moody without being too dark.

So, by a short head and due to better technicalities, #1 gets my vote.

Overall I have to say No.1 for me, just like the compostion and colour. Also have to say I like the idea of the competition to improve your photography.

Thanks Gaz - the comp is fulfilling its purpose nicely (trying new techniques, thinking about the image, and great to get feedback from other TP'ers (y))

have look through the other entries if the mood takes you ;)

cheers,

M

for me on this one - the second one.

The first would have had it - except for chopping half of the reflection of the music player off.

Second, has plenty to look at - maybe a bit brighter might help.

Thanks Graham (note: must remember not to cut off reflections (y))

Cheers

M

Last edited:
Back