which do you prefer?

Votes: 46 86.8%

Votes: 7 13.2%

• Total voters
Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
In an attempt to improve our rudimentary photography skills, my girlfriend and I have embarked on a weekly photo competition, based on consecutive alphabetic themes. The challenge being to take photo's that are technically competent and that stretch us creatively.

We alternate each week who chooses the theme, which has to begin with the next letter of the alphabet. We have one week to complete, prior to sharing, but thought that external review from fellow TP'ers would also be helpful.

And so onto this week's theme - Pencils

please let us have any feedback, critique, or just vote which you prefer (y)

pencilm.jpg

pencile.jpg

As before, thanks to all that have reviewed, commented and voted :love:

M

Toughie this round! Both good. However 1 just edges it for me. If in (2)the pencils had been colour throughout and not in b/w to the RHS then that would have taken my vote.*It's the shadow in the second image that makes it for me, however the bit in b/w spoils it enough to give (1) the edge. Looking forward to the next round!

Yep a difficult one. I guess 1 is a more interesting composition, however ever it would have been better with punchier colours like those in 2.

I marginally prefer no 2, would have liked a bit more dof in the first.

I have voted for #1, much prefer the composition of it and I'm going to be completely different to everyone else as I prefer the muted colours in the first one. The shadow and the brightness in #2 is a bit too in your face for me. I will agree that the B&W fading doesn't really do much for me though

Not too keen on either changed colours or partial B&W conversions, so neither really does it for me. Purely down to #1 having too much empty space, #2 gets my vote.

I voted for #1.

#2 has 'punchier' colours, but not keen on the partial B&W conversion, and think the pencil points are lost in the shadows.

Dave.

Number 1 gets it for me, maybe a little more dof if im being picky. Not sure on the b&w on 2.

i got loads of pencils to attempt something similar and as yet have done none....

i prefer number one...... with one puzzling thought- why has a yellow pencile got a blue end?? was this a pp trick or just a photo of a dodgy pencil lol - it may benefit from a few more photos in focus though...

no 2 just seemsa mass of straight lines, whereas 1 has stright lines with an interesting curve...

would be interesting to see No.1 or something like it with the nearest pencil in focus - as we have here - then another shot with the furthest pencil, only, in focus.

Thanks David, Ben, Terry & Craig (y)

Terrry, re the blue tip of the yellow pencil, i did a little 'tinkering' to see if anyone noticed :D

thanks again all,

M

Back