You know when people witter on about getting it right in camera...

Well he did what he wanted to do to improve his photos, but other than experts and similar, how many other people would appreciate the final picture. Lets face it, if anyone of us spent hours improving one of our shots would it be appreciated with ooo's like:- the way the highlights are slightly subdued, or emphasis on a small bit in the picture or a little bit more shadow detail here and there etc

Lets face it, if anyone of us spent hours improving one of our shots would it be appreciated with ooo's like:- the way the highlights are slightly subdued, or emphasis on a small bit in the picture or a little bit more shadow detail here and there etc

Are you saying that there's no point making adjustments to images because only experts can appreciate them and all we'll get is some bland commentary and a few "likes"?

This type of extreme attention to detail even happens in the digital darkroom. I was only reading recently an interview with Joel Tjintelaar where he was saying that 40+ hours work on a single image to get it to the stage where he was happy with it was fairly common for him.

This type of extreme attention to detail even happens in the digital darkroom. I was only reading recently an interview with Joel Tjintelaar where he was saying that 40+ hours work on a single image to get it to the stage where he was happy with it was fairly common for him.
Absolutely, don't get me wrong I'm all in favour of "getting it right" but I'm also very much in favour of getting the best from a negative or for those with them new-fangled digital cameras the best out of their digital file. But the point of the original post was to show some photos have an immense amount of time and effort into bringing them to a viewing public that perhaps on first viewing is evident.

So get it right, then get it righter. I like that approach ;)

I'm forever tweaking my scans and digital shots, though I generally stop short of selective dodging and burning (well, the photoshop equivalent) unless I'm printing the results, which I should do a lot more often as our walls are horribly bare.

To be honest, I don't think that the general viewing public has any idea of how much time and effort goes into producing a final image. Obviously, many photographers will appreciate the amount of post processing work that's gone into one of Kenna's high contrast images but most visitors to an exhibition would probably think that the image they are looking at on the wall is what just fell out of the camera.

To be honest, I don't think that the general viewing public has any idea of how much time and effort goes into producing a final image. Obviously, many photographers will appreciate the amount of post processing work that's gone into one of Kenna's high contrast images but most visitors to an exhibition would probably think that the image they are looking at on the wall is what just fell out of the camera.
I suppose that's the idea, whether you edit (post produce) photos, moving images or words the general public isn't supposed to notice the work done to bring it to them, only the finished product.

Last edited:
I suppose that's the idea, whether you edit (post produce) photos, moving images or words the general public isn't supposed to notice the work done to bring to them, only the finished product.

True but then again, when joe public fails to understand all the additional effort and thinks he can achieve similar straight from camera he gets all disappointed and cannot fathom why it doesn't look the same as the one he saw on the wall.

True but then again, when joe public fails to understand all the additional effort and thinks he can achieve similar straight from camera he gets all disappointed and cannot fathom why it doesn't look the same as the one he saw on the wall.
It's the first step on the road to enlightenment ;)

its probably where i could make the biggest gains, as i rarely do much active pp :/

I find it kind of odd that in the piece he talk about working on HCB photos, who said he never went near the darkroom,so who make the photo the photographer or the printer,i think what we are seeing here is a printer working on others people work,maybe for sale in ltd print runs :)

Back