Young Toad

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, here goes....first post! Hopefully I might be able to get one of my recent pics uploaded!!
This is a young toad (only about 20mm long), taken on my drive a couple of weeks ago on a wet evening. Tried playing with it in lightroom and ended up with this.

View attachment 14707

Picture taken with a canon 550d and I think it was the std 18-55 lens, not the 75-300, (which I think I did try, but wasn't as sharp). All advice welcomed, CC welcome too, would love to improve my photography.
If my image is too big, I'll try to re-size it but think it should be ok.

Pretty good first post I'd say.
Comments would be:
The toad is large, not lost in the frame, focus on the eye is spot on, maybe a slightly greater DOF to get the rear of the toad sharp as well would have been nice.
Mr toad would probably be better postioned on the left. Coming "into" shot rather than leaving shot.
And maybe the vignetting is a bit strong...

(y)

Thank you for the feedback DorsetDude, I've gone back into lightroom and had another play, definitely looks better coming into the shot than leaving, never gave it a thought before you said! Also, backed off on the vignetting. As for not getting the whole toad in focus, would it of helped if I'd had the camera in a-dep mode instead of portrait mode? I did want the background to be out of focus but the whole toad in focus would of been nicer!
Hope its ok to repost the edited image?!

View attachment 14758

Thank you for the feedback DorsetDude, I've gone back into lightroom and had another play, definitely looks better coming into the shot than leaving, never gave it a thought before you said! Also, backed off on the vignetting. As for not getting the whole toad in focus, would it of helped if I'd had the camera in a-dep mode instead of portrait mode?
Not having ever used a-dep mode I dont know. Just try dropping your aperture down 1 stop. This will mean your shutter speed will get slower so you have to be careful of camera movement or subject blur and maybe up your ISO to compensate if needed, but toads not particulalrly fast are they. ;)

Hope its ok to repost the edited image?!
Its your image, you can do what you want with it.

Is the toad too big now?
Not sure really. Thats down to you and your "artistic vision" shall we say. :) Some "rules" are more obvious and can be commented on, others are more a personal taste thing.

After reading your comment daugirdas, and having a look at the picture, I completely agree, again I didn't really see it before!
Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it.

Back