Your Favourite Frame of film from 2011

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Well - everyone else seems to be doing a "wave your Knickers in the Air" thread, so - why shouldn't we...

I've really, REALLY not shot much film this year - in fact I've not shot enough anything... but I did manage to get a couple of rolls through my Bronica ETRSi a while ago...

My favourite frame was this one.

Jaume Plensa at Yorkshire Sculpture Park by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Jaume Plensa at Yorkshire Sculpture Park

"The Heart Of Trees" 2007
"The Heart of Trees" consists of several seated self-portraits of the artist, cast in bronze, with his arms and legs wrapped around living trees. The artist's hope is that the trunks of the trees will eventually grow into the figures so each truly exists as one.
For Plensa, the body becomes a vessel for information, a surface on which to record words. The figures are inscribed with names of composers, such as Edward Elgar, Béla Bartók, and George Gershwin. By naming particular composers, the viewer's own memories of hearing songs are brought into the experience of the work, providing an interactive dimension to the sculptures, which are placed in a new context each time they are displayed.
Shot with my Bronica ETRSi on Kodak E100VS film, developed in Tetenal E6 Chemistry, and scanned on a Canoscan 8800F with Silverfast SE software.

So, there we are - my humble offering, now I can sit back and watch all the people with skill and talent post something decent :)

Mmm I quite like that shot....the info adds to it also!
I know the sculpture park well as used to live in West Yorkshire.
I don't have my film files on this laptop but hopefully I'll get a chance to upload something from my 2011 archives tomorrow....rest assured it won't be as "decent" as your shot!...I presume it can be any frame shot on film regardless of format ?

I'd say anything from 2011 - Film or Conventional (so Polaroid or Direct to Paper Pinholes included) any format - 110 to 10x8" or larger - just not shot on a digital camera, or a digital back on a film camera.

I do love a bit of Velvia 50 Action Scott (y) - two in a row for the Bronnys :LOL:

Though I have to say, I was quite happy with the Kodak E100VS results, as my first time shooting with the film, and souping my own, it did render pretty darned close to what I wanted...

Damn this hard. I've only really started seriously using film since 2010 and I would find it very difficult to choose a favourite, however, after a trawl through I think this one just wins.

The-Ben-in-cloud by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Voigtlander Bessa R3A, Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f1.4 on Kodak Ektar 100 film.

This is Ben Nevis in May this year. I feel that this kind of says film to me, beautiful colours and a depth that digital seems to lack.

Cheers

Andy

This one!

Blenheim Palace and Bridge by Itsallaboutlight, on Flickr

Blenmheim Palace. Was back in February or March I think. 5x4 adox chs 25, Schneider 135mm lens, Was filtered, not sure which one, cropped to panoramic format. I really should keep notes!

I was lucky in that the sun broke through the clouds just as I was setting up what was looking like it was going to be a pretty boring, flat scene as it was a dull and overcast day! The low lying sun picked out the dead reeds and bridge perfectly against the darker sky.

This one from me.

Adox CHS 25 in the big old Mamiya RB67 with a 50mm C lens, f22 i think. Devved in Rodinal

Down The Valley by Rob Hooley, on Flickr

Malham Cove in the Yorkshire Dales, it was a long walk up to the top of the cove and i was determined to end up with something i liked :D

Really like Richards slate quarry shot :)

This is my favourite sheet film pic for this year:

musebeauartsnice.jpg

Shot at 2011-12-27

This was taken from the gardens of a local Art Museum back in June of this year.

It was the first attempt at obtaining a photo from a Thornton Pickard Triple Extension ( Half Plate ) camera which I purchased in a very poor condition earlier in the year.

Many hours of brass polishing and tlc later, the camera not ony resembled something like its former self but was also in a suitable condition to be used albeit with restrictions ( primarily a long exposure due to the shutter mechanism being too fragile to use!)

Fomapan 9x12cm sheet film (using half plate - 9x12 recucing adapter)
ISO 100
F/64
Overcast/ cloudy afternoon ( one of few in June out here!)...EV 11
Shutter: 2 seconds

Film "folded" into a "taco and developed in a patterson tank using Ilford chemicals

Scanned with Canoscan 8800F

Last edited:
Ok here's my favourite image from 2011.

This was on my first roll of film I put through my Dads old Leica M2 with 50mm Summicron, it was taken on my usual film of Kodak Portra 160VC,

6299213163_1be2df6b40_b.jpg

This is Louis my English Springer Spaniel, he's only three years old but he's had broken bones and pins and screws through his elbows. He now has a permanent limp due to bad scar tissue but I still work him every other weekend in the winter. This year we had a routine Xray and found he had snapped one of the 3.5mm Titanium screws in his left elbow and boy did it cost in time effort and money to get it sorted again (especially as the left leg is his good leg)!

I always think that Kodak Portra provides great depth and love the qualities that film provides.

I have totally lost photo mojo and not picked a camera up in months but this is my favourite taken in March.

5556597163_6b734b84a8_z.jpg

Pentax 67 Can't remember the film but it was deved in Rodinal for 1 hour

Last edited:
Only been learning analog photography since starting college in september...
Been prowling the film section here for information and inspiration so would like to contribute this one:

Portrait 1 by jpay01, on Flickr

Bronica ETRS, Ilford HP5.

Excited to returning to college and taking film into the studio,

Jason Pay

I've only had one film developed this year :( but I do have about 4 other rolls lying around unfinished in various bodies, so there may be something decent in those.

I took this image on my Olympus OM10, which I picked up for £3 in a charity shop. It was my first experience of using a split prism focussing screen and MF lens. I had to sell it shortly after to fund other purchases, but it was a beauty :)

281490_10150746655810602_641030601_20159522_3884010_n.jpg

I have had to agonise over this for a few days since I saw this thread. I thought I would know which was my favourite but having looked through this year's haul I think this overtakes it. It's nothing amazing by the standards of TP but there is something about it I really like. I have taken maybe four or five photographs this year that I actually enjoy looking at and this is one of them:

sad, lonely bench
by rednorters, on Flickr

A bench in the wonderful Derby Park in Bootle. A lovely Victorian park around the corner from my house.

Shot with my Trip 35 and Ilford XP-2.
It was developed in Boots. Do I lose points for that? :) It is my goal to dev my first black and white film in 2012 :D

P.S. The standard of shots in this thread is really quite wonderful.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow, some beautiful shots here. Especially love Alan C. and Rod F's pics.

Here's my fave this year (so far!!)

5690389691_0340a3043e_z.jpg

I've been using less 35mm towards the end of this year since selling my Leica but I have been using my Polaroid a lot to make up for it. I'm really enjoying taking Polaroids and taking a shot of the Polaroid on a certain background to add to the scene... sort of like a picture in a picture!!

I promise to do more Paxette 35mm photography next year!!

Last edited:
A great variety of shots here.

My favourite is below. It's not necessarilly the best shot I've taken, but appeals to me for many reasons. I'd just adjusted the focussing screen on my Yashicamat, so this was a "test roll". This was the first time I'd developed HP5+ in D76, and I was very impressed just looking at the wet negatives - I'm not likely to use Rodinal for iso400 film again! This shot was taken using the cameras built in selenium meter, so by no means guaranteed to be accurate - and I only took one shot of this subject. And I've long been an admirer of the architectural pictures on shorpy.com, and this seems to echo some of those.

ing552.jpg

Well I think this is my favorite, it is a conversion that I like, because of it,s simplicity and that end grain of the oak bench just does something for me.
Rolleiflex SL35E with Planar 50mm.

82570006BW.jpg

25420720917838923221177.jpg

Shot on the free film Jessops give out when you get some dev'd there, scanned onto a Cd by them aswell.

Zenit EM-58mm Helios f/2

I want to get my film on more this year!

Last edited:
For me, this was the first year of film (closer to 3 months, but that is not really relevant).

My favourite has to be this one - it was the second roll of film I have shot since I was about 12 years old. Taken at Occupy London during the night, somehow, I got the exposure right!

img048 by Sectionate, on Flickr​

Technically it's a pretty bad shot, but visually it's my fave so far! super takumar 50mm + tobacco grad filter on fuji 200. pretty much straight off the scanner.
0004.jpg

I think mine has to be this one:

National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne

EOS 30 on Delta 100

There are some cracking shots here, I think this my favorite. Not great technically but it always makes me smile. Taken at the End of the Road festival in September, great bands, great friends, great pies and great beer, what more could you want?

6255783528_e966635f85.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I'm another newbie to film (35mm) and only developed my first ever roll of film on 20th December 2011 (so, I can just about qualify for the thread ;)).

I took a roll of Fuji Acros 100 to Venice with me in November and this is one of the frames from that roll ...

Scan_2011_132-1-1.jpg

A very often photographed scene and this one has nothing much to recommend it over any other :|. Personally, I just look at the range of light in there (it was a sunny day) and marvel at how much shadow and highlight detail it has, compared to (non-HDR'd :razz:) digital shots of similar scenes :).

B&w film is great :D!

Back