your honest opinion on dancers shoot (was redirected here from sport section)

Name
Claudio
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I just managed to get a photoshoot arranged with a contemporary dancer, I have been honest to her and explained that is the first time I am shooting sports, the only limited experience I have so far are portraits and landscape. However she is happy to give it a go and take it from there. I am so excited but also scared not to get decent shots, also bear in mind that i have a pretty basic set d3000 with 18/55mm, is there any advice i can get from you guys, it is all welcome. I was already in the process of buying a 35mm f1.8, i thought this could be useful as I should be able to keep a decent high shutter speed (ideal for sports) even in dim conditions. i already asked information about the light in the dance studio and I was told there's a window wall, which i thought it should be good to shoot with natural light.
Help please

Never done it so good luck!

Try a few still portraits with window light on the side of the face. close up on head, pull back for full body.

Um, once she starts a routine/moves, up the iso (perhaps) and speed.

If you have rear shot on the flash, use that and a slower shutter. You may need a tripod/chair to keep camera steady.

Most people like the eyes to be in focus.

A hard shot might be to capture her face as she spins (they do hold the head still whilst turning) which could give you a shot or two of weirdness or gracefully.

Oh and see if she can do some leaps for you too...

And lastly, make sure both of you are happy and not uncomfortable.

Also have you asked her about a model release, think you may need one if you want to use the pics... (although I am iffy in this area too).

Never done it so good luck!

Try a few still portraits with window light on the side of the face. close up on head, pull back for full body.

Um, once she starts a routine/moves, up the iso (perhaps) and speed.

If you have rear shot on the flash, use that and a slower shutter. You may need a tripod/chair to keep camera steady.

Most people like the eyes to be in focus.

A hard shot might be to capture her face as she spins (they do hold the head still whilst turning) which could give you a shot or two of weirdness or gracefully.

Oh and see if she can do some leaps for you too...

And lastly, make sure both of you are happy and not uncomfortable.

Also have you asked her about a model release, think you may need one if you want to use the pics... (although I am iffy in this area too).

Thank you, very helpful, it never crossed my mind o ask a release form, a friend of mine is a semi professional and he only ask release form if he shoots kids, however I probably should ask.

regarding the photoshoot gets more complicated as far as lights go, cause I just found out we do not have access to the dance studio during the day, so that will leave me with artificial lights and dont even have a proper flash ( the built on is not any use), as i said I am buiny a f1.8, it should be a quite quick lens and good in dim condition, do you think is only good as far as portraits go or it could have a use in sport photo?(y)

I think I would try to get down there, I have a D3000, you can pick up a very cheap off camera flash for less than £10 on evilbay.

As jomantha posted. See if you can get down there before the day and see what the light is like. Artificial might be bright enough - tis a dance studio.

Oh thought up another - classic probably .... if they have a mirror wall and a beam... The dancer stretching... Possibility of reflections, and difficulty of not being the shot :)

I think you will have to be very aware of the background or it may interfere with your ability to isolate the subject. With the fast prime you're probably OK, but the slower kit lens could leave you hanging, if not careful.

Back