Your opinions would help !

shrimperblue

Suspended / Banned
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I was wondering if this could be worth doing?

Selling the 400D, and getting the 40D from Warehouse Express for £33 p/m then with the funds from selling the 400D invest it into a nice flash gun and grip?

Someone please talk me out of it.

SB

I was going to say as i am in the same boat, will the 40d help what you want to do or do you just want a new toy (camera)

Well I was reading the opinions of CT here and made me think that in the long run the 40D would be better for me. So while the 400D is still worth a bit then sell it. Its something ive been thinking about for a while.

SB

As ever, "It depends".

If you're still using the kit lens, then I would say no, and get some L quality on your wide and mid telephoto.

However, if you're only really using that tele zoom of yours then yes, you've got a superb lens, why not mount it to a superb body.

Cheers,
James

Someone please talk me out of it.

SB

Nope don't do it don't do it..........
Who the hell am I trying to kid? I did it and don't regret it for a minute :D

Well a wide angle L is what I really want along with a grip and 580 flash. Its not gonna happen though as the budget is low.

The kit lens is actually really nice to use imo, considering, so im not too fussed. Maybe just stick the wide L on the never never and get on with it. Oh I dont know!:thinking:

SB

I'm quite relieved that all my photo gear is paid for and is owned by me. Therefore if it gets dropped or nicked, then its only my problem and there is no outstanding finance on it.

If I can't afford something, I either sell stuff until I can, or continue saving until I can.

Cobra,

You went from a 400D to 40D?

SB

Yep (y)
The 40D feels more solid in the hand, the 400D felt OK until I got my mitts on the 40D :D
(As CT said) the colour reproduction is the first thing I noticed (far better). The "dials" are a little different so that took awhile ( and still earning to some extent) to get used too.
I am more than happy with the 40D & 70-200 (2.8) combination as well. I shoot a bit of "horse action" and the 6.5 fps is also very useful for that. OK so I couldn't really afford it at the time but All in all I don't regret it for one minute

I suspect if you opt for the 40D you may start being disappointed in the results from the kit lens. The two don't really match for quality.

You might also want to look closely into the finance options you are being offered. The APR on these can be very high, up to 30% APR

I did the same as you're thinking of, but as others have said, be very careful.

For me, this was the only way I could do it. Not an ideal situation and yes I'm still paying off for the 40D, but I got a fairly reasonable APR of circa 20%

The 40D is a very capable camera, though I have to admit, a D300 p*ss*s all over it in almost every way.

Mark

The 40D is a very capable camera, though I have to admit, a D300 p*ss*s all over it in almost every way.

care to go into detail for us Canon mortals?

If you're going to do it, for goodness sake get a loan to pay for it, or even do it on a credit card, rather than paying a silly APR. Work out exactly how much the 40D will cost you allowing for the finance costs, and also how long you'd be paying for it, and then think what happens if Canon release another upgrade before your through paying. Do you then add more finance to what's already outstanding? Once you have your "total cost" figure, then decide whether the upgrade is worth that much to you, or not.

Finally, can you tell us, what will the 40D do, that you need from a camera, and can't get from your 400D?

don't be too harsh
wex do give 1 year interest free - so it just defers paying :)

don't be too harsh
wex do give 1 year interest free - so it just defers paying :)

Ahhh - this relies on it being paid off on time when the interest free period runs out though!!

Either way - hold off a while to see what happens re cashback offers. :)

Shrimper,

Have you thought about one of these 0% interest cards, then when it's time to start paying the 12-16% that they demand, transfer the balance to another one ?

I thought it was to good to be true but a mate of mine has been doing this for some time.....

I'm considering doing it myself, I have a shopping list, including a 40D which totals about £1,700... If I put something towards it myself and run the £1,200 on the card, that's £100 per month for the 12 months of the offer.

(Most of these cards offer these deals between 9 & 14 months, you'd have to shop around).

Just an idea......

What is the 400d not doing that you want to do?

Is it really worth taking on debt when you already have a capable body? Just personal opinion of course but I prefer to save for my next bit of gear and get on with using what I have :)

The only reason you should upgrade your body is if you feel restricted by the features of your current one.

If you're using the kit lens, then I can't really tell that you have pushed the body to it's (and your) limit, since the kit lens can't really gain the most out of the 400D.

Remember the sensor in the 400D can make use of professional grade lenses despite it being an entry-level camera, so I do recommend getting hold of some nicer glass.

I upgraded from a 400D to a 40D for the reason that I felt that I could really excell with a better body. I'd already been through a 18-55mm kit lens, 28-135mm f/3.5 and a 17-40 f/4 L by the time I sold my 400D (for over £300 I might add, despite only paying about £380 for it).

I was so glad I upgraded, my photos are better, I love my 40D. Gonna keep it forever (even as a 2nd body).

If you can afford it, or if you can handle the debt then by all means upgrade to the 40D, it has such great features and build quality, but as for image quality, you will get better quality images with a better lens.

You don't have to spend an absolute fortune on a new lens either, get hold of a nifty fifty, they are great and seriously cheap. I got my f/1.8 for £50.

I'd have to say that the Digic 3 processor is a huge upgrade for Canon - the biggest and most significant for ages. ;)

As for paying monthly installments -forget it - ring Warehouse Express and tell 'em you want 12 months 0% credit. They do a 9 month option too. Just make sure you put the money on one side to pay it off on the due date or it gets expensive. :eek:

I've bought loads of stuff off WE on 0% interest. Even if you have the dosh you can leave it in your account for another 12 months.They have the Finance people actually 'in house' I believe.

Ring' em up earlyish in the morning - they take a few details and you'll have the forms to sign by the next day. If you get the forms you've already passed vetting. If you don't pass vetting you don't get 'em. Very very quick process. Start it on a Monday and you can have the gear by the weekend easily.

I wouldn't even think about paying HP charges. ;)

Shrimper,

Have you thought about one of these 0% interest cards, then when it's time to start paying the 12-16% that they demand, transfer the balance to another one ?

I thought it was to good to be true but a mate of mine has been doing this for some time.....

I'm considering doing it myself, I have a shopping list, including a 40D which totals about £1,700... If I put something towards it myself and run the £1,200 on the card, that's £100 per month for the 12 months of the offer.

(Most of these cards offer these deals between 9 & 14 months, you'd have to shop around).

Just an idea......

:plus1: - I've not paid any credit card interest for over 6 years now, and have earnt interest on borrowed money (y)

thanks for all your thoughts on this. I'll let you know what I decide to do :)

SB

Back