Your thoughts for a beginner.....

jamie-dm

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I keep getting asked by family/friends, to take photos for weddings, evening meals, parties, and a few other things, but I keep turning people down as I dont have any lights or extra flashes etc.. so I've bein toying with the idea of buying some..:thinking:

Ive been offered the following interfit kit from a friend..

2 x Tungsten 3200K heads + reflectors,
2 x 500w Tungsten bulbs
1 x honeycombe
twin 60x60cm softbox`s
2 x interfit stands
1 x barn door set

Do you think this would do for the sort of things mentioned above? If so Imay start saying yes to all these people!:p

Any help Appreciated...

Thanks, Jay

Hi Jay,

You mentioned that you will be taking photos of weddings, evening meals, parties etc.....
These are all of the types of occasions where only a camera mounted flash is needed generally.
When shooting such an event, being flexible and able to move around the environment you are in is key to getting great photos.
Imagine lugging all of the lighting around from location to location! Especially if you are working on your own! Is there easily acessible power points at location? How would you use this set up in a church yard!????
Imagine to your horror if someone tripped over the cables! Do you have adequate insurance to cover equipment and accidental damage?
You did'nt mention whether you are shooting film or digital. I assume that you are using an SLR, and if that is indeed the case, I would recommend a decent, powerful flashgun that you are able to have full control over. I would also recommend using the flash on an off camera bracket to eliminate the old red eye problem.

I hope I have been of some help to you, and even saved you some money aswell.

I've got to agree with smithphoto. What you have listed is a studio setup, not something for darting in and out amongst the throngs. Also, with hotlights, you're just asking for someone or something to get damaged or injured. If you want a static setup for portrait and fixed group type shots you'd probably be better off with strobes - and you might well need self powered packs rather than relying on a mains supply.

I would think you'd be better off with a powerful flashgun - 580EX or SB800 depending on the camp you're in - with a rotating/swivel/zoom head - and something like the "A Better Bounce Card" or Omnibounce to throw light forward when bouncing light off ceilings and walls. See here....

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/
and here
http://www.stofen.com/Info/index.htm

To go up a level for a one flash solution, and/or if you don't have any surfaces to bounce off, a rotating camera flash bracket would be good, so that you can distance the flash from the camera (no red eye) and keep it above the camera whether you're shooting in portrait or landscape orientation (shadows kept hidden behind and below the subject). I have no personal experience of such devices but something like this, for example....

http://www.smarter.com/camera-flash...flip-flash-bracket/pd--ch-6--pi-56031.html###

Another option would be to get a couple of extra speedlights/speedlites, stick them on stands or clip them to the surroundings, and use them as slaves to brighten the background or direct light in from off camera.

Alternatively, what about fast glass and 1600 ISO? That would preserve the mood better, and perhaps you could add just a little fill from a single flash to add catchlights and make your subject pop from the surroundings.

Just some thoughts :)

I have a Omni Bounce and it's really good. You lose some stops of power though but you should look at Strobist (here, here and here)as the people on there (such as me) use flash guns (cobra ones) to deal with the events you talked about. Basically Strobist it's all about saving money and weight but still getting the same results as those big flash studio heads.

It has helped me out and the people are really friendly as well. Worth taking a look!

I agree with smith, gonna be hassle with loads of slave gear, Just a mounted flash would do a blinding job, I suppose if you wanna do some really arty wedding shots, some slaves would come along nicely, one sec, this bloke takes lovely photos. http://www.bdweddingphotography.co.uk/

Probally the best wedding photographer ive ever seen.

ahhh man, shouldnt of said owt, Im gonna be on his site for ages now looking at all his new stuff! anywho! good luck with everything dude & deff take a look at the site :]

Firstly thanks for all your help:) Looks like I'll be splashing out on some flashes then! Now, just to find that big tree everyones on about...

Thanks,
Jay

Back