Your thoughts on the Nikon AFS VR 18-200

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I,m thinking of buying one of these as an allround walkabout lens for when i go on holiday,so just a question to those of you who own one, how do you rate it, cheers for your comments.

Hi Tel ... :wave:

I can honestly say this is the most versatile, hardly-ever-off-my-camera, lens I own ... :D

It is fast, quiet, accurate and light for the range it provides and it also has VR ... :cautious: ... what more could you ask ... :shrug: ... oh and it is of the now traditional Nikon quality in all respects ... ;)

Get hold of one ... :thinking: ... you will NOT be sorry ... :D

:p

I have one of these and like Ven it's hardly off the camera - it's the most versatile lenses I have ever owned. Get one they are great value for money.

I have heard nothing but good things about this lens, just wish I could afford one :(

based on what i've read here and a few other reviews I've just found, I just rang up cancelled my lens order (18-70 & 55-200vr) and got them to send me the 18-200 instead

never really considered it before I placed the order thought it was too expensive
the 18-70 was £160,
the 55-200vr was £130

and this has just set me back £400,
so only an extra 100 quid (y)

tel,

I'm in a similar dilemma, I have just this week had a quote from Kerso and the price is very close to £400. I sold a couple of lenses this week to finance it but might still wait to go to the focus on imaging exhibition before commiting.

Its the best walkaround lens you're likely to get. Mine stays on the camera most of the time. Same as previous posts.
the lens creep bugs me at times, but not enough to get rid.

Hi there...

Just picked got mine today have been pondering over this lens for a while.. I already had an 18-200 Tamron as a walk round lens so knew this was what I wanted..

However I was torn between the Expensive Nikon.. or the Sigma OS version.

I had a wander to Cameraworld in london and had both lenses places on D80 bodies and spent 10 mins playing with each lens. ( In truth it only took about 4mins )

I tried the Sigma first as I had convinced myself this would be adequate for my needs. It was a nice lens but heavy and slow.

I then tried the Nikon and within three actuations of the shutter knew this would be the one.

I have only been out with it for a short while today but I know it will be a great lens and well worth the additional funds.

Nigel.

Agree with most of the above.

bad points:
For just over £400 the build quality ain't brilliant.
As mentioned, the lens creep is very noticable.
Once extended the lens "wobbles"
You WILL get dust in it.

Good points:

hey its 18-200 in one lens
its VR
you can take shots at low shutter speed.

Would I buy one again?
you betcha!

Thanks guys, all great feedback i may pop into stevenage to digital depot on saturday and give it a try, i seen it here has anyone ever used this shop before, or will it be that much cheaper at the focus show ?

I had one of these, but i always found that when carrying it about the lens used to gradually extend (is that what people mean by lens creep?).

Really nice lens, took some nice piccies with it when i was just starting out, i only just sold mine a couple of weeks ago here as i have now split the focal range into 3 different lenses.

HTH

JB

Back