Your Thoughts

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
On a replacement for the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro lens. I have had this a year or so and i find it a little soft and slow for my likings.

I have a go with a 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens and fell in love to be fair, i am just wondering if there is anything of the same quality and speed but with a longer focal range.

Or another lens as well as this one possibly?

I like doing all sorts, motorsports, wildlife, people.

Thanks

As a replacement for the siggy or as well as the canon 70-200?

If as a replacement what would be good to replace kit lens to 120mm? I.e 24-105mm L?

Any other thoughts on a lens?

sigma 100-300 f4 fast to focus, tonnes sharper than the 70-300.

I have the same lens and i am just saving the pennies at the moment for a repalcement.
i want the sigma 120-300 f/2.8 but we will see!

If you like the 70-200 have a look at the 100-400L Lot more expensive, but a longer reach and auto focus as quick as the 70-200. If that's out of your price range try adding a 1.4 converter to the 70-200. Don't go for the 2X converter it's not as good.

sigma 100-300 f4 fast to focus, tonnes sharper than the 70-300.

I have the same lens and i am just saving the pennies at the moment for a repalcement.
i want the sigma 120-300 f/2.8 but we will see!

How sharp and how quick will it be say compared to the Canon L 70-200?

If you like the 70-200 have a look at the 100-400L Lot more expensive, but a longer reach and auto focus as quick as the 70-200. If that's out of your price range try adding a 1.4 converter to the 70-200. Don't go for the 2X converter it's not as good.

Dont you loose a bit of quality/speed adding the 1.4?

Would love the 100-400L But i think it may be out of my price range lol.

they are both USM/HSM motors to focus - im not sure of real world comparison but if its focal length on a budget that you want then its a good option. The optics are meant to be really good on the 100-300mm.

matt, the 100-400 is bit of a let down really. Give it good light and it's great but I found it to be real arse of a lens generally. R.e. the 1.4x TC on the 70-200mm IQ and AF does drop but so insignificantly that you're hardly going to notice unless you're in pixel pinching mode (AF still quick). I'm happy with the 70-200 IS but sometimes wish I had some extra length. The extender fits the bill but I will get the sigma 1xx-300 (probably 100, f/4). Then I've got a good cross over if I need IS, but got upto 420mm if I need.

Sayer your a legend! Will definatly be getting that lens but not untill my cards are cleared which will more than likely be after christmas :(

Thanks for your input mate appreciate it thanks!

Back