Your view on these shots please....

Edit My Images
No
Took these shots whilst walking in the Black Mountains (South Wales).

Feedback appreciated :)

Looking West towards Brecon
IMG_3038_edited-22.jpg

Looking North towards Pen Y Gaidair Fawr
IMG_3065_edited-1.jpg

Looking South back towards Crickhowell
IMG_3089_edited-u1.jpg

What have you got in your sarnis Mr?
lowresmountainpic-1.jpg

Last edited:
Or post in the photo sharing/critique section... but I think a mod will sprinkle some hamster dust over the thread and transport it soon...

Compositions good on them all my fav would be the sheep one, its a little grey could maybe do with a bit of a contrast boost as the sheeps lower leg detail is lost (y)

Last edited:
Compositions good on them all my fav would be the sheep one, its a little grey could maybe do with a bit of a contrast boost as the sheeps lower leg detail is lost (y)

Thanks for the feedback Dave.

Like the sheep-shot...but to my eye (and I stress that it's just my personal preference) - they need more contrast...

These are in the wrong forum, but while they're here...

Looking very dark to me.

I don't see the point of mono with this kind of subject. It adds nothing and loses a lot.

A bit of colour and faux-HDR treatment might work wonders?

I concur with that. More contrast on all shots. I'd also go as far as to say that the first image would benefit from a little dodging to the lower half, to brighten it up a little.

Shape and compostion is just fine though.
(y)

Leave it with me - was going to cut the grass tonight, but I'll play with these shots instead. Thanks.

TeaVR

Played with one in PS. Here it is -

small-blackmountains-1.jpg

Far from perfect as I've overcooked the clouds. :(

However, do you prefer to B&W?

Much more like it, but a bit ott with the blue hue on the background hills, IMHO.. I'd still quite like to see a higher contrast mono shot though.

Much more like it, but a bit ott with the blue hue on the background hills, IMHO.. I'd still quite like to see a higher contrast mono shot though.

Agree - it's a bit too 'Top Gear' (if you know what I mean).

I'll have a look at the higher contrast mono. Trouble is, this snap is a simple point n click I took whilst walking (in a hurry), so it's probably not worth investing too much time in it. I am however tempted to return to the spot armed with a tripod :)

That makes sense. Get out there with a tripod and shoot RAW. I'm so envious of people who live close to places like this.

That makes sense. Get out there with a tripod and shoot RAW. I'm so envious of people who live close to places like this.

I don't actually live there (anymore). It's about 1 and a half hours in the car :(

BTW, it is shot in RAW but with a kit lens :( AND shot in a hurry. We were on a 20 mile walk, and realised that we were going to be pushed for light. Eventually got back to the car at 10:30PM! ANot doing something so stupid again! :)

I have learned a lot from this thread.........

1. That you did something wrong and theres a way to get someone to look at your shots (will have to try this out).

2.That there IS another feature I did not know about(added to almost all of them).

3.You say you shot in RAW...I have been worried that I don't do RAW as it is another thing I fail to work on my computer....I have no need to worry now.I thought it was the bees knees and everything could be "fixed".
You shot in RAW why didn't you use it to get these Snaps sorted before uploading....they are SOOO dark I thought it was night !
They all need sharpening or are out of focus.
Contrast and levels are out on most as well.

Thanks
Keith.(y)

I have learned a lot from this thread.........

1. That you did something wrong and theres a way to get someone to look at your shots (will have to try this out).

2.That there IS another feature I did not know about(added to almost all of them).

3.You say you shot in RAW...I have been worried that I don't do RAW as it is another thing I fail to work on my computer....I have no need to worry now.I thought it was the bees knees and everything could be "fixed".
You shot in RAW why didn't you use it to get these Snaps sorted before uploading....they are SOOO dark I thought it was night !
They all need sharpening or are out of focus.
Contrast and levels are out on most as well.

Thanks
Keith.(y)

Ooooooo. Somebody get out of the wrong side of bed this morning?

In an attempt to improve my photography I appreciate all constructive feedback. I thank all those that have commented on these shots so far.

In your case however, you seem to have taken things too far. I'm not sure if you are confused (or just angry in life), but I'm not asking you to buy these shots!

People like you will prevent newbies to photography from seeking the advice of those more experienced / skilled.

'out of focus' - my bottom - try focusing your personality.

AND relax......

I don't actually live there (anymore). It's about 1 and a half hours in the car :(

BTW, it is shot in RAW but with a kit lens :( AND shot in a hurry. We were on a 20 mile walk, and realised that we were going to be pushed for light. Eventually got back to the car at 10:30PM! ANot doing something so stupid again! :)

Well....Can you please explain to me why if you did them in Raw and then put them on as if they had come straight off the camera.I don't understand Raw but thought it was just data and things had to be done to get anywhere...thats why I said I am no longer worried that I don't use the holy grail of shooting.
I thought it would be better to at least make the shots presentable before asking how they are.

I don't know what you did wrong to be told off ...as I said i struggle to understand most of the ins and outs on here.....I just want to put shots on and see others shots.

Before making my original comments i copied your shots and did some mods and was going to show you them listing what i had done......but a mixture of having to go to work and having too many mods in my gallery (the only place I can upload from) I did not.
ON ALL of them they needed sharpening and most were on the right hand (dark) side of levels and a simple slide fixed them.A lot of people echoed this but as for contrast most were made worse e.g. the sheeps face dissapeared altogether with only a small bit of contrast.At least I tried out my theories before commenting.
I see you have gone back and looked at my shots...a thing I was told was bad form when I 1st came on here ...but you were right about that canal shot it was false looking .....as I said it was one of my 1st shots and certainly my 1st go at p/shop and I overdid it.

AS for ..."'out of focus' - my bottom - try focusing your personality"...If you think these are sharp...not soft...and in focus then I can't see anyone trying to help.

If you don't like my comments then kindly get on to a moderator and get my wrist slapped...but I think they will agree that these are bad shots.

Thank you
Keith.

Well....Can you please explain to me why if you did them in Raw and then put them on as if they had come straight off the camera.I don't understand Raw but thought it was just data and things had to be done to get anywhere...thats why I said I am no longer worried that I don't use the holy grail of shooting.
I thought it would be better to at least make the shots presentable before asking how they are.

I don't know what you did wrong to be told off ...as I said i struggle to understand most of the ins and outs on here.....I just want to put shots on and see others shots.

Before making my original comments i copied your shots and did some mods and was going to show you them listing what i had done......but a mixture of having to go to work and having too many mods in my gallery (the only place I can upload from) I did not.
ON ALL of them they needed sharpening and most were on the right hand (dark) side of levels and a simple slide fixed them.A lot of people echoed this but as for contrast most were made worse e.g. the sheeps face dissapeared altogether with only a small bit of contrast.At least I tried out my theories before commenting.
I see you have gone back and looked at my shots...a thing I was told was bad form when I 1st came on here ...but you were right about that canal shot it was false looking .....as I said it was one of my 1st shots and certainly my 1st go at p/shop and I overdid it.

AS for ..."'out of focus' - my bottom - try focusing your personality"...If you think these are sharp...not soft...and in focus then I can't see anyone trying to help.

If you don't like my comments then kindly get on to a moderator and get my wrist slapped...but I think they will agree that these are bad shots.

Thank you
Keith.

Life is too short. I'll PM you.

Back