Beginner Youtube Channels?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
As a complete newcomer to photography I've spent quite a bit of time on Youtube recently trying to learn as much as possible - probably too much time as not actually taking any pictures!!!

Anyway, although I'm sure he's not everbody's cup of tea I find the videos by Gavin Hoey both informative and entertaining, especially the 15 minute challenges where he both takes the shot and does some PP afterwards. He covers quite a range of subjects so they are not going to be a comprehensive guide but as a bite size overview and a source of ideas I think they work.

Has anyone got any recommendations of other channels that are in a similar vein or other 'must watch' videos which would be suit a newbie?

Thanks

Most of the ones I follow are large format film photographers so aren't really of any use if you're not into that, but someone who I think is great is Thomas Heaton. Would definitely recommend following him as his videos are very interesting.

As a fellow newbie, I've learnt a lot about LightRoom from the eccentric Ed Gregory of 'Photos in Color', Mike Browne for keeping things simple and another vote for Thomas Heaton.

Tony northrup, is easy to understand. Explains things in an easy to understand way (without sounding patronising). Good for a newbie.

Tony northrup, is easy to understand. Explains things in an easy to understand way (without sounding patronising). Good for a newbie.
This sounds exactly what I am looking for.. Im not only a newby but also a numpty.. so easy and simple are watchwords for me :)

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I'll check a few of them out tonight.

Another one that I follow is Craig Roberts, does landscape stuff and quite good at explaining his thinking about the composition of the shots.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRkV8eRVvxwVStV5May0rQ

Hi Jim:)!

I like Craig Roberts too, for the same reasons as Mark/huffy. I also subscribe to Mike Browne and Thomas Heaton's channels, whom I came across via these forums. Another one is Graham Houghton for Panasonic Lumix fans;):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPfe6kkX-LqgAovxwxHQXdQ

Well I had a look at a couple of Mike Browne's videos and thought they were pretty good so will definitely be coming back to those but then I had a look at Thomas Heaton and that was the rest of the night gone! He's a born vlogger and it was a case of 'I'll just watch one more' ......before I knew it I must of watched 20+ videos and it was 1.00am. So he gets a thumbs up from me.

I'll try a couple of more the suggestions tonight

This sounds exactly what I am looking for.. Im not only a newby but also a numpty.. so easy and simple are watchwords for me :)

Tony's book, stunning digital photography has helped me so much. It has 14 hours of vides which come with it. You can get it for around £7 as an E book.

I've not used youtube for photography, so followed a suggestion or two, and well all I can say, from what I've watched so far of Mike Browne, he's given me a lot better understanding, when I need to adjust, Aperture, Shutter spend and ISO.... Something I've struggled with

Well I had a look at a couple of Mike Browne's videos and thought they were pretty good so will definitely be coming back to those but then I had a look at Thomas Heaton and that was the rest of the night gone! He's a born vlogger and it was a case of 'I'll just watch one more' ......before I knew it I must of watched 20+ videos and it was 1.00am. So he gets a thumbs up from me.

I'll try a couple of more the suggestions tonight

Thomas is great, I always look forward to his next video.

I've been looking into product photography just recently and he popped up on YouTube doing product photography tutorials as well. I was quite surprised, but it appears that's his day job.

I used to watch Gavin Hoey, but he stopped making youtube videos. Not sure why....He's still around and about though.

I usually watch Serge Ramelli, Scott Kelby, Mike Browne, Matt Kloskowski, The Art of Photography (talks about photography), and quite recently Thomas Heaton (he's an inspiration!).

Check out Adorama's YouTube channel for Gavin Hoey, he produces videos for them now.

https://www.youtube.com/user/adoramaTV/featured

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL821B7D720DEA39FA

A few I subscribe to:

Fro Knows Photo / Jared Polin
Photos in Colour
Camera Store Tv
Digital Rev
F Stoppers
Joe Edelman
The Slanted Lens
Adam Lerner
YuriFineart
Matt Granger

Some are more educational, some are more on the entertaining side.

Definitely got to recommend Mike Browne he seems to get across things in layman's terms with no technical talk.

Thomas Heaton is good I think his video's inspiring.

I'll also throw out a couple of YouTube channel suggestions that I like to follow and that I enjoy & benefit from .... "Jared Polin" and "DigitalRev TV" (humour in the latter channel is fully subjective!)

Back