Yungnuo YN568EXII - the flashing '14'

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Earlier this week I decided to have another go with my Yungnuo speedlite (a good piece of kit but not yet used much by me).

Everything seemed to be going ok (eg this time I actually managed to fit it to the camera the right way round and not back to front:)) until I realised that on the display - in the 'zoom' box (top RH corner) - it showed a flashing '14'.

To cut a long story short (actually a 4.5 hours story:)) I worked out that the problem was that the diffused glass thingy in the top of the lamp was not pushed fully home.

Thought I'd post this as it might save someone else a lot of hassle

I'd not noticed the number flashing, but I've experienced the situation with the thingy not being full inside. Frustrating indeed!

I'd not noticed the number flashing, but I've experienced the situation with the thingy not being full inside. Frustrating indeed!

Sorry - don't understand the bit about 'the thingy not being full inside'.

(Cant blame you for using the word 'thingy' as I often do it myself:))

Sorry - don't understand the bit about 'the thingy not being full inside'.

(Cant blame you for using the word 'thingy' as I often do it myself:))

Mental block ... the slide that extends to cover the front of the flash head and spread the light.

The same thingy as your thingy, lol

Last edited:
Ahhh - ok - thanks for clarifying

Maybe the 14 only appears when the thingy is in a particular position:)

Ahhh - ok - thanks for clarifying

Maybe the 14 only appears when the thingy is in a particular position:)
It does.:)

The 14 flashes as soon as the flash 'believes' the diffuser is fitted. But the diffuser needs to be pushed all the way home for the flash to know it's not being used.

It's a design flaw, because I'd guess the diffuser is deployed more often as a bounce card than a wide angle diffuser. And of course when it's used as a bounce card, you're unlikely to want the zoom at the wide end.

Thanks Phil

Back