Zebra B&W

Name
Russell Hill
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I have been away from this forum for way to long. However I think some good has come of that because instead of time on my pc I have spent loads with my camera. I feel I know how to use it now shooting in full manual and getting more and more into it everyday.

Anyway here is my first image in this section as I want to know what you guys really think and want some C+C to help improve my work :)

Thanks in advance,
Russell

russellhill12548104_x.jpg

I would really hammer the contrast on this image. Otherwise I think I would be very happy.

Gary.

It needs a bit more contrast to give it impact but the issue then might be that you lose the detail of the eye - also maybe the background would be too bright? It's a shame also that the zebra isn't facing more toward the viewer than away.

Thanks for the comments both :)

It needs a bit more contrast to give it impact but the issue then might be that you lose the detail of the eye - also maybe the background would be too bright? It's a shame also that the zebra isn't facing more toward the viewer than away.

I have afew of the Zebra facing me at different angles but I think this is the best angle :)

The thing with the contrast is I would loose to much detail in the eye and also the top part of the neck. I did play round with it a lot and settled on this as the best middle ground. Also I think the braighter background help the blacks of the Zebra stand out.

Any more thoughts people?

Cheers,
Rusk

The thing with the contrast is I would loose to much detail in the eye and also the top part of the neck.

have you tried masking?

I think that's a really good portrait and I can see why people are looking to see more contrast but I'm not too sure persoanlly.

I'm not on my machine and the monitor here is pretty pants so this may be way off the mark but I think it's the slight tint to the blue side that's a little wrong.

The softness of the conversion quite suits what is a really delicate image.

If the whites were white then the whole thing might just pop a tad more whilst still making me think I can here the soft rustling of the grasses he/she's nibbling at.

Back