Zeiss announces ZX1 full-frame compact camera

I own and use fixed, prime lens cameras - all film cameras - and yes, both limiting and liberating. I paid between £5.00 and £15.00 for those cameras and I would be delighted to buy and use a Zeiss ZX1 for £15.00. I cannot imagine why anyone would buy such a limited camera for the asking price.

I think because they think it's a very nice thing and they can afford it. Just like anything at the luxury end of the market, watches, suits, cars, anything, there are doubtless much cheaper alternatives that maybe make more sense but there's the feel, passion and enjoyment if it all and sometimes people will pay for that.

If it was a looooooot cheaper I might have one but I just can't justify that price to myself.

Good luck to Dan and those who get one. I'm sure it'll be a lovely thing to own and use and in this world baybe that's justification enough :D

Already? No waiting list?

Exciting day tomorrow :D

Sorry to derail the thread, but so as soon as I got the announcement e-mail i saw that Leica mayfair had them on their site to purchase - I figured they had a long waiting list and so I went over to park cameras and saw it on their website.

I put my order in.. from reports of others, I think I got the only Q2 they had in stock - someone else rang them, told there was stock in London branch - but then they phoned back to say that was an error (because I just bought it I bet!)

Sorry to derail the thread, but so as soon as I got the announcement e-mail i saw that Leica mayfair had them on their site to purchase - I figured they had a long waiting list and so I went over to park cameras and saw it on their website.

I put my order in.. from reports of others, I think I got the only Q2 they had in stock - someone else rang them, told there was stock in London branch - but then they phoned back to say that was an error (because I just bought it I bet!)

Shame it's not a 1.4, otherwise looks great.

I think this looks interesting but the size rules it out for me and I'd be nervous about the Android-based OS as well as the overall feel that it's trying too hard to solve a problem that doesn't exist in terms of in-camera editing. We all have smartphones/tablets these days that are better suited to that type of work and mean we don't drain our camera battery in the process.

Back