Zeiss Hologon 16mm f8 For Contax G2

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
This has to be one of the most incredible lenses ever designed.

hologon16mm.jpg

Sample image....
Road_Patrol_Large.jpg

Great DOF, sharp images right out to the corners, and zero distortion. It comes with it's own viewfinder with built in spirit level in the finder.

PROS
Well... see above really.

CONS
It has a fixed aperture of F8.

It also comes with a centre grad filter to combat light fall off at the corners of the image which reduces the effective aperture to F16. Many users say it's unnecessary.

TTL metering is disabled when the lens is mounted on the G2 and metering is done via a metering sensor on the front of the camera body provided just for this lens. A separate meter is obviously another option.

Price!

Has anyone any experience of this lens, not neceassarily on a Contax?

Sensible thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. :D

LOL. You're not helping Ally. :D

Seriously, I've discounted this lens umpteen times, but it' s just there like nagging toothache.

I suppose I'd use it for street scenes mostly and probably the odd landscape.

sometimes you just have to scratch the itch to make it go away CT. Helpful i know;)

PMSL. Thanks Kev. :LOL:

Another image...

NZHols093.jpg

So when are you geting it CT?

Have used 16,, lens on Olympus and Nikon but you always get barrel distorsion, with them, but they are fantasic pieces of glass.

Out of interest how much is it going to cost you?

You usually see these offered from HK for anywhere between about 1200 quid used, to 1800 quid new. At those prices you wouldn't want to get hit with import duty!

They stopped making the G2 (and lenses) in 2005, and they didn't sell that many of the Hologon 16mm at the prices they were back then when it was in production.

I know Ffordes have at least 3 new old stock in, and they've marked them down to £899, which is a bloody good price, buit I know people have managed to wangle a 100 quid off that price, so it's tempting. :puke:

I wont be doing anything in a rush anyway, and common sense just might prevail yet - it wouid be a pretty demanding lens most of the time at a fixed f8.

£10 says you've bought it by the end of the week. :LOL:

......and at that price you'd be several lenses short of a kit bag not to. :naughty:

I woukdn't take your money! :LOL:

Did you see where it said 'sensible' thoughts and opinions? :D

I wont be doing anything in a rush anyway, and common sense just might prevail yet - it wouid be a pretty demanding lens most of the time at a fixed f8.

HMM! :thinking: Don't know about that. From using very wide angle lens, 14 & 16mm on SLRs thay have an amazing amount of 'light gathering' power, where as the same f8 on a 500mm you would struggle in low light, I don't think it would be an issue for this Lens.

Plus as it is attached to a Contax, no mirror slap, smaller camera, can hand hold RF machines to longer exposures than SLRs, I don't think the f8 aperature would pose a problem...

~wonders off to ffordes and the bank~

Did you see where it said 'sensible' thoughts and opinions? :D

HMM! :thinking: Don't know about that. From using very wide angle lens, 14 & 16mm on SLRs thay have an amazing amount of 'light gathering' power, where as the same f8 on a 500mm you would struggle in low light, I don't think it would be an issue for this Lens.

Plus as it is attached to a Contax, no mirror slap, smaller camera, can hand hold RF machines to longer exposures than SLRs, I don't think the f8 aperature would pose a problem...

Well you can't ague with any of that. :D

LOL. My mistake of course was asking on here. :LOL:

The original 15mm Hologon for Leica would set you back at least 10 grand. This 16mm is every bit as good, in fact that's the biggest problem, Leica guys are getting them converted to the Leic M mount. :puke:

Here you go Daz... CLICKY

You just need the Leica body to go with it. :D

:whistle:

Back