Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Screen Shot 2017-07-07 at 15.28.07.jpg

I have the chance of a Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super and was wondering if any of you guys had any dealings with this model of camera. Would be grateful for any info.

I have a Contaflex II which has a lovely Tessar lens.. The shutter mechanism is very complex on these cameras and difficult to repair but it the price is right, I'd risk trying the Super.

If you already have it, use it, with a Tessar you can not fail, but be gentle because, as NickT said, it is complex and the chances of repairing it are minimal. If you do not have it and planing to get one, I will not recommend it because it is uncomfortable to handle, all the controls are in a strange position and you will get into a specific lens mount system. More a collector's item than an a practical and usable camera.

I have the Super BC with the 35mm and 115mm lenses too, everything works OK, it is a beauty as Stephen said and got nice results with it, but if I could go back in time with what I know now, I would not buy it.

They are heavy! You are basically stuck with the standard lens - exchangeable front elements are available but are as rare as hens' teeth.

I like them and the Voigtlander equivalent, they bring out the masochist in me and produce very nice pictures.

I have downloaded the Instruction manual for this camera in order to get aquainted with it. So I will have a look at the camera this morning and make sure the shutter speed ring is working okay, fire it off at various shutter speeds. Also check the focus ring and rapid wind lever work. Externally it's excellent so we will see. Thank you guys for your posts with info and advice on this camera.

Last edited:
Got it, my new toy everything appears to be working fine, will run a film through it over the weekend.

Will do, developing it tomorrow. This camera is certainly a bit of a learning curve hope the results are okay.

img 1Med For-1011-2.jpg img 1Med For-1015-2.jpg

Couple of images shot on the Zeiss with Kodak ColorPlus. Not very inspiring pics, just wanted to test the functions of the camera, no light leaks shutter, focus and exposure meter all appear to be working okay. Pics very grainy though think I may have under developed.

Did you like using the camera?... it was comfortable for you to handle it?... we need a full report!!! :ROFLMAO:

Big advantage of German cameras is the complete absence of foam light seals so they age really well - much better than Japanese cameras.

When I first picked up the Zeiss I thought wow this is chunky but having said that, it feels really good in the hands. This is a well made metal camera with a real solid feel to it not a bit of plastic in sight and the shutter release sounds amazing. It came with a hard leather case which screws to the camera using the tripod thread, the camera can be used when in the case as the front part folds down.
I think this is possibly a camera you will love or hate as it does take a bit of getting used to, but I love it. The automatic exposure control ( coupled to the shutter) takes awhile to get your head around but is fairly straightforward once you understand the logic.
I've been very lucky with this camera costing only £40 from my local Antiques shop ( you pay your money and take your chance) as it has obviously been well looked after and cared for by the previous owner.
I know it can't compare to the modern singing and all dancing digital cameras but considering its 50 years old still takes decent photos and everything works on it, says something about the build quality. Wonder if my Digital SLR will still be around in working order in 50 years time. I doubt it.
I must admit I use digital as well for convenience but to me there is nothing more satisfying than loading your camera with film, developing the film, scanning images to the Pc, filing and printing as required.

IMG_1670.jpg IMG_1668.jpg

Mike could I ask a favour?

We have a film review thread here :
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/tutorials/the-massive-film-conventional-camera-review-thread.100/

and I think this would fit very nicely in there.

Ta

Andy

Yes it's a long time since a post on there... 2016 in fact. Annoyingly it appears that ALL my reviews have been affected by expletive deleted Photo Bucket of expletive deleted... so some work for idle moments there. :(

The only other thread with image problems appears to be @AshleyC 's review of the Mamiya 6,,, but that's flickr not PB, so some other reason. However, OT sorry.

Andy No problem, but as I'm new to this site not sure how to put into review thread.

Andy No problem, but as I'm new to this site not sure how to put into review thread.

If you open the link and click on the discussion tap near the top then you can just paste in your review from here and add photos of the camera and shots taken with it if you wish. It's just like responding to a post in any other thread. ;)

The only problem that I have with mine is that it has a light leak when it's cocked. I only cock the shutter when I know I'm about to take a shot. I also carry it with the lens cap on, to further help stop the leak. If you take the back off the camera and the cock the shutter, you'll see that only then does the shutter open, the mirror descend and a flap comes down to cover the film gate to stop light reaching the film (at least it's supposed to!). When the shutter button is pressed, the shutter closes, the flap goes up, the mirror goes up, the iris closes and then the shutter opens for the selected period and then closes again. That is why the shutter mechanism is described as 'complicated'. I presume light is leaking past that flap and the effect is obvious to see. From memory it appears at the bottom of the photo, so the leak must be at the top of the flap.

Posted review in the "Massive Film and Conventional Camera review thread" can be seen in Discussion if you scroll all the way to the bottom of list but not listed in Overview. What have I done wrong?

Last edited:
Posted review in the "Massive Film and Conventional Camera review thread" can be seen in Discussion if you scroll all the way to the bottom of list but not listed in Overview. What have I done wrong?

Nothing, I think. At some point our lovely mod will sticky it to the overview.
@TheBigYin

Last edited:
I have a Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex IV with standard 50mm Tessar lens, and also the original camera and lens manuals. The camera seems to be in good working order, the shutter firing well and the leaves of it looking in good condition. The only problem is that there is no film take-up spool, so I'm on the hunt for one so I can test the camera.

I have a Zeiss-Ikon Contaflex IV with standard 50mm Tessar lens, and also the original camera and lens manuals. The camera seems to be in good working order, the shutter firing well and the leaves of it looking in good condition. The only problem is that there is no film take-up spool, so I'm on the hunt for one so I can test the camera.
Any spool from a 35mm film cassette should fit or even an empty cassette so you do not have to rewind the film.

@john.margetts Cheers John, I belatedly worked that out - I also have a Contax IIIa that I'm now playing with and I will share the take up spool between them.

Back