zenit

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
a colleague at work has lent me his zenit 12xp with 3 lenses, 49mm, 52mm and another 52mm(longer lens). i have been intrigued by film cameras for a while but the only thing is.. i know absolutley nothing about them haha

it has no user manual and he has never used it before so all the numbers on the dials are as confusing to him as they are to me hahaha.

anyways i'm off to jessops tomorrow to get myself some black&white film but has anyone got any help, advice or tips for me in my time of need haha

Hello Kevtd
The Zenith was made in a number of variants that were all very similar.
There are only really three settings
Focus
Shutter seed (the dial on top of the camera)
Aperture ( the ring on the lens that is not the focus ring!)

I think the 12XP had a light meter in the viewfinder which uses a battery, a PX625 from memory which are quite rare now as a) they used the now banned mercury b) not many people want to buy them. You may find one or you may need a separate light meter (or camera to take a reading with).

Unlike current cameras you are limited to full stops on the shutter speed and half stops on the aperture. Easy way to start is to set the shutter speed lets say to 1/60th and then change the aperture until the needle is in the middle.

Loading the film is a bit tricky, rewinding it is very tricky!
To rewind you have to move the knurled ring around the shutter button so two dots light up. You might like to try and find a camera shop with an older chap behind the counter as he might be better able to advise you on this part of the operation.

Lastly I’d start with Ilford XP2 as it can be quicker to get processed and see if the camera leaks light as many do.

If it works well it should be a good fun toy, takes me back to my youth!

thanks for that... i'm going to have fun playing around with it haha

i'm taking it to jessops with me just incase there's someone there with a bit of knowledge, my father used to use them but i wont be seeing him until backend of next week :(

thanks for that... i'm going to have fun playing around with it haha

i'm taking it to jessops with me just incase there's someone there with a bit of knowledge, :(

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :clap: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

and it looks like you've put down the filter sizes for the lenses , not the actual focal lenths .

donutagain
and it looks like you've put down the filter sizes for the lenses , not the actual focal lenths .[/QUOTE]

:LOL::LOL: well spotted Donut ,I was thinking that was a funny lens hmm the 52mm ...............and one longer than the other............Doh!!!!!!:shake:

This is a really late post but others might find it useful ...

there's a rule of thumb you can use that generally works OK.

ASA film speed is a rough meter of shutter speed, i.e.

ASA100 will shoot well at 1/125 of a sec, ASA500 at 1/500 sec etc, such that:

Dim light, overcast day - use f4 set on the lens
Cloudy day, typical spring morning, white clouds - f5.6
Bright day, sparse clouds - f8
Summers day - f11 to f16

As an alternative to 1/125 at f4 (say) you could use either 1/60 at f5.6 to get more depth of field, or 1/500 at f2.8 to isolate the subject better or to freeze motion.

The general rule is that if you slow the shutter speed by one incriment (stop) you need to use an aperture smaller in size (bigger in number) by one stop and vice versa.

The generally recognised "stop" shutter speeds are 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250 and 1/500 and these are likely what you have on your Zenit - I have half a memory of there being a 1/1000 on the later ones ...

The lens stops that correspond are: f2, 2.8, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22

Thse rules served me well when I was a lad, equipped with a very second-hand Zenit 3M (which I still have and on occasion use, for old times' sake) & no light meter, back in the 1970s!

Indoor exposures though - much harder to judge. Flash exposures ... be careful as some Zenit cameras synchronise at different shutter speeds - M synch types synch at 1/30th, I think, X synch at 1/60th if my memory is to be trusted ....

BTW, if you are really new to this, and you want to do the whole retro thing with black and white film, you might also want to look at a red filter, 1/2 to 1 stop strength (i.e. you have to slow your exposure down by that amount) - B & W film renders blue as white (mostly) so those white fluffy clouds in your landscapes will disappear without it :-(

BTW, if you are really new to this, and you want to do the whole retro thing with black and white film, you might also want to look at a red filter, 1/2 to 1 stop strength (i.e. you have to slow your exposure down by that amount) - B & W film renders blue as white (mostly) so those white fluffy clouds in your landscapes will disappear without it :-(

Thank you - I didn't know this (y)

what the red filter does is darkens the colour opposite to it in the spectrum,,so the blue sky goes darker showing up the white fluffy clouds. a red filter will lose around 3 stops orange about 1-2 and yellow about 1 stop

oh! cheers for the red filter tip, thats going on my list!!

here's my Zenit:

Zenit.jpg

I've just about sussed all the dials and alike, I'm using mine as my main camera (B&W and Colour) and I'll be persevering with it for a fair few months to come!

I have one too.Any ideas where i can get some more lenses.I only have the one and it aint amazing.Its the 49mm. I would love to get more glass for it.
Anybody know of anywhere?
Or are there any adapters availeble so i can use other makes of lenses on it.

The mount, I think, is M42 screw mount. Plenty of lenses around, including some corkers! Especially the Zeiss ones!

Beware though, if you use any filters on that Zenit you are going to have to add correction for the filter factor as it doesn't meter through the lens.

Back