Zimbabwe Elephants

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
No
I have just joined the forum and just wanted to say hello with my first nature post.

I wanted to share one of my favourite images from Africa, where some people claim I spend far too much time!

ZimbabweRaw-76.jpg

This is an image that I captured in Hwange National Park in August 2007, whilst staying at Makalolo Camp. Airstrip 2 Pan, where this was taken, is one the best areas in southern Africa for capturing elephant silhouettes.

In 2010, Communication at Dusk was highly commended in the Windland Smith Rice Awards:

“During the grip of the dry season, Hwange’s Kalahari sands become parched and water scarce. Each afternoon, elephant herds return from their feeding grounds to the last remaining water sources. As they gather, hundreds of elephants send the Kalahari sands into the air, causing large dust storms. One afternoon, I noticed a young elephant lost amidst the dust. Known for their poor eyesight, it moved between a couple herds trying to find its mother. Successfully reunited, they both raised their trunks, using their strong sense of smell to establish their family ties.”

Canon EOS 5D; 500mm ƒ/4 lens; 1.4x teleconverter; 1/250 sec at f 5.6; ISO 100

Yup, very, very nice(y)

very silhouettish...could be card cut outs
whats not so good about the real thing...if there are so many there
personally i like to see more of the animal
your shot is well taken and reminiscent of the african scene
but could have been done in the uk...
sorry but having done a few safaris i cant feel motivated by this shot
cheers
geof

ps you must think i have forgotten my manners besides being a rotten old sod...
welcome to tp

Brilliant shot and an awesome sight to behold when you're actually there, I'm sure.

:thinking:
what am i missing
:bang:

Gorgeous shot. Makes me wish I was back in South Africa. Especially now I know a little more about photography and don't have a cheap compact camera lol.

Stunning!

Rhian

What a fab shot, you should be very pleased with yourself! :)

real nice looking shot there.. have to say would be real happy with that my self :)

very silhouettish...could be card cut outs
whats not so good about the real thing...if there are so many there
personally i like to see more of the animal
your shot is well taken and reminiscent of the african scene
but could have been done in the uk...
sorry but having done a few safaris i cant feel motivated by this shot
cheers
geof

ps you must think i have forgotten my manners besides being a rotten old sod...
welcome to tp

Thanks for the welcome.....

If you could let me know where in the UK this could be down, let me know, would give me something to do at my weekend........ :D

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to join me in Botswana in November :)

That's an incredible picture. Wouldn't mind heading that way myself to make use of my kit in a brighter environment :)

I really like this, love the simplicity to it. I have also done a few safari's and this is very well done. I can imagine the outlines of elephants are much smoother full size.

Dean

Thanks for the welcome.....

If you could let me know where in the UK this could be down, let me know, would give me something to do at my weekend........ :D

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to join me in Botswana in November :)

table top with black cut outs and a red background back lit
conversely
go to botswana and do what you did
pardon the satire but really after being in africa several time in the wild...the shot didnt stir my heart as i wished it should
would love to join you...do you sleep in lodges or tents...
mrs crow and i plan another touristy safari...kenya seems out and tanzania and kruger we would like to visit again
but my real goal is namibia
no offence from me of course on your shot
lets see some 'real' elephants
ps what arrangements have you made for your botswanan trip...flights guides etc..it might help me to have that if i can join you or do my own
god bless
geof

ps i just looked at your website so i am in the process of devouring some humble pie..on of many i eat every week
cheers
geof

Last edited:
I would highly recommend a visit to Zimbabwe if you have the opportunity.

Lovely shot Russell.

And I second your recommendation, despite some difficult recent times, Zimbabwe is a fantastic, beautiful country and well worth a visit.

I am off to Mana Pools (self guided, remote campsite - we will be the only group there - spending the majority of the time walking in the bush - Mana is the only National Park in Africa, as far as I am aware, where this is permitted) for a week later this year and I cannot wait to spend some more time in the company of elephants.

Last edited:
Back