ZoneAlarm

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a quick note to any of you that use ZoneAlarm and run windows.

The new windows update released today IS NOT COMPATIBLE with ZoneAlarm and if you install it then you will lose your internet connection. To re-connect you will have to do either of the following;

set your firewall to medium (not recommended)
turn off zonealarm (def not recommended)
uninstall the update (KB951748)

The following link takes you to some more information on this problem:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2221138/microsoft-fix-kills-web

I ditched Zonealarm a few weeks back. My pc has run much better since. I have now got the free version of AVG, which incidentally picked up 3 nasty infections running on my pc that went undetected by Zonealarm!

zonealarm is a pile of poo

To unistall the update..... go to Add or Remove Programs, make sure that the box next to "Show updates" is checked; this is an option which you will find at the very top of that screen. Then scroll down to 'uninstall, KB951748' you should see it listed as part of an indented list under "Windows XP - Software Updates". It will probably be towards the bottom of that indented list.

Last edited:
Zone alarm is pooh, ditch it, by the time its detected any threat its already at your PC, invest in a decent hardware firewall/router, and a good AV with spyware protection. The firewall will filter out hack attempts before it gets to your PC and Windows will run much faster.

Thanks Chris, you're a star posting this.
I've been faffing about all evening trying to get back on the Internet.
My home PC would not connect to anything, my laptop would connect but not to my ISP or my firms system. So, just to stop my brain melting I checked out this forum and there was the answer !

I assumed it was the Microsoft update but hadn't considered it impinging on Zone Alarm.

Thanks again.

I updated and have Zonealarm, yes my internet didnt work but i could sign on to MSN. Downloaded Firefox 3 and everything works fine now so I'm guessing it a Zonealarm and IE problem.
Firefox FTW.

I ditched Zonealarm a few weeks back. My pc has run much better since. I have now got the free version of AVG, which incidentally picked up 3 nasty infections running on my pc that went undetected by Zonealarm!

AVG is an antivirus and Zone Alarm is a firewall, so if you only have AVG antivirus you should have a firewall too. Try windows firewall as you have ditched ZA!

I am finding AVG is making my cpu work so hard all the time and I cant stop the service so I am going to uninstall for a while and see if it helps.

If you don't mind paying, Bitdefender is very good, antivirus and firewall combined, plus no problems with windows updates :)

I use F-Secure it's a full security suite. FW, AV and spyware utilities.

£40 for a 3 licence version. I have it on my main machine (Vista) my lappy (XP) and in laws machine (W2K) and there is no compatibility problems at all.

Linky here

Avast has a built in firewall as well, and is free for home use

AVG is an antivirus and Zone Alarm is a firewall, so if you only have AVG antivirus you should have a firewall too. Try windows firewall as you have ditched ZA!

I am finding AVG is making my cpu work so hard all the time and I cant stop the service so I am going to uninstall for a while and see if it helps.

It has probably found something it detects as malware through heuristics but can't successfully clean the infection, hence it keeps going on and on and on....

AVG have done a bit of a naughty recently and are now having to back track on the idea. Google "AVG LinkScanner". It's a nightmare for webmasters!

Being the computer thicko that I am, I didn't realise that ZA was a firewall - I thought it was an antivirus thingymajig :confused: (ok, at least I admit to being a bit dim :LOL: ). We do have Windows firewall installed.
Thanks for clearing that up Janice :)

Minimeeze, its both a firewall and its also a anti virus. 2 jobs in one.

just ditch zonealarm it sucks
zonealarm is a pile of poo
C'mon guys, what on earth was the point of these posts? If you haven't got anything constructive to say (e.g. suggest a better alternative) then don't say anything.

If you use XP Home or Pro you can try Sygate Firewall as its a fast learning firewall it is however quite old and out of date but it still works you can download it from here http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=sygate and it passes every shields up test > https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Please remember to only have one firewall running at once as they can conflict though saying that Sygate and Windows Firewall have never ever clashed for me, will also run on Win98.

After installation just register name and email (insert any old rubbish in here) then click Register (youll get an obsolete web page as Norton bought out Sygate)

Once running just right click the Sygate firewall icon and left click on Options then click Ok then tick *hide notifications* then click Ok, and Sygate is up and running no problem.

For Vista Users you can download Comodo firewall http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/index-hireit.html just make sure you get 32 or 64bit depending on your OS.

So anyone got any suggestions of what firewall to replace Zone Alarm then? Im running AVG free anti virus. Do AVG do a firewall too??

I had this problem and worked around it last night by dropping the firewall to MED level, thought i would do that while i looked for the solution online (which i abviously could not access with fiewall set normally!).

C'mon guys, what on earth was the point of these posts? If you haven't got anything constructive to say (e.g. suggest a better alternative) then don't say anything.

As one who ditched ZA a long time ago because of the problems it caused I reckon those replies were pertinent if a bit short.

So anyone got any suggestions of what firewall to replace Zone Alarm then? Im running AVG free anti virus. Do AVG do a firewall too??

I had this problem and worked around it last night by dropping the firewall to MED level, thought i would do that while i looked for the solution online (which i abviously could not access with fiewall set normally!).

Read my post further up. :bat:

Why replace ZA? this is (was) a Microsoft problem, not a ZA problem!

I personally find ZA to be fine, definetly better than McAfee which came pre-installed (even though I specifically asked for it not to be!) with my Dell.

Of course everything is fine until it actually does go wrong then its all hands to the pump to work out who is to blame lol

I agree with Candlestick. Have a look at Avast! Home. It's totally free, Avast realise that the biggest threat to their paying business customers is the unprotected home user, so they give their product away free to home users.

That or switch to Linux Ubuntu.

Comus

Back