Zoom Lens Advice Needed ...

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a zoom lens with more reach than the 18-55 kit lens that came with my 1000D.

It will be used for my visit to the British Grand Prix this July and for other hard to reach subjects, typically wildlife. I don't anticipate using it as a walkabout lens (the kit lens or my nifty fifty will fulfil this role) but it will live in my bag and so be accessible at all times.

Budget is £350 max. I've shortlisted three Canon lenses as possibilities but will happily look at other recommendations, eg Sigma, Tamron etc.. (Kerso Dec 09 prices in brackets)

1. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM - (£349)
2. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM - (£179)
3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - (£185)

1 & 3 have IS, whilst 2 doesn't. Is image stabilisation worth the premium? I suspect option 3 will give me enough reach and with IS at sub £200, it strikes me as the best option.

Your advice appreciated ... :)

I have an EF-S 55-250mm, which I use for wildlife photography, and I agree with Wontolla's remarks. Unless you have very steady hands or you are going to use a tripod avoid long zooms without image stabilisation like the plague.

Not been to Silverstone yet, but I gather you can't get very near the track, esp at the F1 - I think you'd need 300mm + so in that respect, I'd recommend the 70-300IS lens. It is a cracker of a lens, but is more expensive, if budget is tight, the 55-250IS lens is highly rated and def worth a purchase. (y)

I've been busily reading reviews for the last few hours and I've decided to go for the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS which Amazon are doing for a decent £163. Unfortunately I've done Kerso out of some business, although he did supply my Nifty Fifty.

From the reviews, I'm aware of its limitations, but as a relative n00b to dSLRs and given its affordability, I'm happy that this will make a decent starting point.

Thanks for everyone's comments, and apologies for the typo in the thread title. It appears I can edit my posts but not titles ...

I was going to say if you can afford it get the 70-300 IS as it will give you more reach, I have got one and like mine, and if you are doing motor sport you will need at least 300mm for most situations as you usually can't get to close, other option is to add a tele converter 1.4 or x2.

I was going to say if you can afford it get the 70-300 IS ...
I don't doubt that yours is the better lens but I'm just not comfortable (yet) shelling out big numbers. I know I said my budget was £350 above, but that was just to include your lens in the line up and had everyone opted for it, I probably would have held off the purchase whilst I saved up or gone for MC Stoo's hire option ...

I'm looking for a zoom lens with more reach than the 18-55 kit lens that came with my 1000D.

It will be used for my visit to the British Grand Prix this July and for other hard to reach subjects, typically wildlife. I don't anticipate using it as a walkabout lens (the kit lens or my nifty fifty will fulfil this role) but it will live in my bag and so be accessible at all times.

Budget is £350 max. I've shortlisted three Canon lenses as possibilities but will happily look at other recommendations, eg Sigma, Tamron etc.. (Kerso Dec 09 prices in brackets)

1. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM - (£349)
2. Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III USM - (£179)
3. Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS - (£185)

1 & 3 have IS, whilst 2 doesn't. Is image stabilisation worth the premium? I suspect option 3 will give me enough reach and with IS at sub £200, it strikes me as the best option.

Your advice appreciated ... :)

Do you want my honest answer regarding this.

300mm won't get you the reach, especially for Silverstone, all you'll get is large fences in shot with a blurred car. At Silverstone, the minimum length required is a xxx-400mm lens, ok you don't have to go mad and fork out a 4 figure sum, the cheapest lens to get you this is the sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6 OS at about £600 new £500 used.

Even at Brandshatch on the outside of Druids, with the fence to shoot through I was using a 20D (1.6x crop) 300mm f4 and 1.4x TC and only just getting shots and most of the togs around me were using 500mm or 600mm lenses.

And 300mm is also not long enough for wildlife unless its in your garden.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the 55-250, I would wait and build up that budget

I do, or at least did as the deed is now done. Appreciate your comments about the limited reach of this lens, but having read more reviews since my OP, I felt I'd rather get going with something instead of waiting until I can afford something better.

Time will tell if I've made the right decision, I suppose ...

I was going to say if you can afford it get the 70-300 IS as it will give you more reach, I have got one and like mine, and if you are doing motor sport you will need at least 300mm for most situations as you usually can't get to close, other option is to add a tele converter 1.4 or x2.

But don't try to put one on the 55-250 IS!!

300mm won't get you the reach, especially for Silverstone, all you'll get is large fences in shot with a blurred car
. At Silverstone, the minimum length required is a xxx-400mm lens, ok you don't have to go mad and fork out a 4 figure sum, the cheapest lens to get you this is the sigma 120-400mm f4.5-5.6 OS at about £600 new £500 used.

Even at Brandshatch on the outside of Druids, with the fence to shoot through I was using a 20D (1.6x crop) 300mm f4 and 1.4x TC and only just getting shots and most of the togs around me were using 500mm or 600mm lenses.

And 300mm is also not long enough for wildlife unless its in your garden.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the 55-250, I would wait and build up that budget

Not true in any shape or form (bold part!). I used my 55-250 at Silverstone last year and got some corkers;

IMG_8285.jpg

IMG_8660.jpg

IMG_8781.jpg

Its about clever positioning and exploring the track, if you cant get the shot you want, keep walking until you do!

I have hundreds like these, all taken with the 55-250 IS. What you cant see on here (as they are low res versions via Photobucket) is how sharp these are when viewed full screen.

More range is always going to be better though, but the 55-250 IS can certainly hold its own! You'll love this lens and its a great starting point, and better than a lot of more expensive telephotos.

I don't doubt that yours is the better lens but I'm just not comfortable (yet) shelling out big numbers. I know I said my budget was £350 above, but that was just to include your lens in the line up and had everyone opted for it, I probably would have held off the purchase whilst I saved up or gone for MC Stoo's hire option ...

I think Kerso sells this lens for less than £ 400

I got mine from him, cracking lens for the money (y)

Cheers

MIP

Back