Beginner Zoom Lens advice - Sony A7R3a -

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Looking for some advice.

I have a Sony A7R3a, with a Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and a Sony 20mm 1.8.

I am looking to buy a zoom lens and have been looking at the following:

Sony 70-200 f4 £1000
Sony 200-600 £1500
Sony 100-400 £2000
Tamron 200-500 £630 used/Amazon
Tamron 70-300 £530
Tamron 150-500 £1000

Some of these are available from Amazon as used and possibly prices may change based on prime day etc.

Super impressed with the 20/50mm lenses - want something that’s great quality, and best value.

I know there is a significant difference in the price, this will more than likely be the only zoom I buy so just looking to get the best lens.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Hello Paul, it entirely depends on what you are after, the lenses you suggest serve different purposes.
What do you plan to use this lens for?

Hello Paul, it entirely depends on what you are after, the lenses you suggest serve different purposes.
What do you plan to use this lens for?

Just general photography - just an enthusiastic amateur.

So 50mm was bought from Amazon warehouse and has been brilliant, loved some of the landscape and astrophotography hence the 20mm.

The zoom is just a lens to get close, especially with my kids, however, don’t want to buy one and be wishing in 6 months I got something else, also don’t want to spend £2k if £600 will do - I am lucky enough to be treating myself so I don’t mind spending the money as a one off.

Again, advice and hints/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Just general photography - just an enthusiastic amateur.

So 50mm was bought from Amazon warehouse and has been brilliant, loved some of the landscape and astrophotography hence the 20mm.

The zoom is just a lens to get close, especially with my kids, however, don’t want to buy one and be wishing in 6 months I got something else, also don’t want to spend £2k if £600 will do - I am lucky enough to be treating myself so I don’t mind spending the money as a one off.

Again, advice and hints/tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

well they will all get you closer but some more than others obviously.
if you want a general purpose telezoom the 70-300mm used to be a popular option (I'd recommend the tamron).

if money was no object then I'd suggest the new sony 70-200mm GMii with 1.4x and 2x TC. Gives you the most versatile setup with reach up to 400mm if needed. Plus you have constant f2.8 aperture or f4 if with 1.4x TC. Also has the best AF capability.

I wouldn't recommend the sony 70-200mm f4 any longer, you are better off with the tamron 70-180mm f2.8.

tamron 200-500 won't work on your camera (well not without an adapter anyway)

tamron 150-500mm and sony 200-600 if you are wanting to shoot wildlife and birds. they are biggish heavy lenses too. Sony will have slightly better reach and better AF.

Sony 100-400mm is a very sharp lens with great AF but comes at a price too. Depends on if you value f2.8 aperture of 70-200mm more or the longer reach of 100-400mm more. 100-400mm will perform better than the 70-200mm lens with 2x TC.
There is also a sigma 100-400mm (only the DN version will work on Sony) which is much like the Sony 100-400 but lighter because at 400mm its f6.3 vs f5.6 of sony. Once again sony will have better AF and also its a wee bit sharper too.

but if you are just looking to extend your reach, not sure what to get and just want something general purpose without breaking the bank just get the tamron 70-300mm. you can upgrade later when you know more about what you exactly want out of such a lens. Also it won't as heavy or big as some of the other options you have found.

Last edited:
Picked up the Sony 70-200 f4 as a like new return on Amazon Warehouse £634 was this a good deal?

Back