Zoom lens for Canon 300d

Edit My Images
No
I've got a 6 year old Canon 300d which is working really well with it's stock 18-55 EFS lens. I'd like to buy a zoom lens, something like a 18-200/300, or 80-200/300. The lens will be used for landscapes and nature shots mostly.

I'm a bit confused about sensor size, and which lenses are available to me. Should I be looking just for EFS lenses? The options seem a bit limited.

Any advice on what lens? And suppliers?

Many thanks.

You can use any EF/EF-S mount lens, the latter are designed for the 1.6 cropped sensor such as the 300d has, and won't work (at least not satisfactorily) on 1.3 or full frame sensors. Lens choice hugely depends on budget. If it's tight the big brother to the kit lens you have, the EF-S 55-250mm IS (Image Stabilized), is very inexpensive and gets very good reviews, it would also cover your range perfectly (18-250mm). It's also very light in weight if that's a consideration.

+1 for the 55-250 IS , tis a very good lens for the money

If it's tight the big brother to the kit lens you have, the EF-S 55-250mm IS (Image Stabilized), is very inexpensive and gets very good reviews, it would also cover your range perfectly (18-250mm). It's also very light in weight if that's a consideration.

Budget is not that tight and I reckon I could spend say upto £500. Any thoughts??

+1 for the 55-250 IS , tis a very good lens for the money

+2 :-D

Ive got one on my 400d cost £169 last summer and i think its great VFM, gets good reviews too, theres a few on fleabay now as its been included in retail kits.

Budget is not that tight and I reckon I could spend say upto £500. Any thoughts??

Never used one, but the 70-300mm IS gets some good reviews and comes in under your budget. If it were me I'd go for the 70-200mm f4 L lens which is a similar price. You lose the IS and reach of the 70-300mm but get superior build quality and (in my opinion from what I've seen, having only owned the 70-200) better image quality. It's all about compromise when choosing a lens and I'm sure you'll have many agonising hours of research and trying-out to come.

I've got the 55-250 IS suggested above and its on a 300d too. I was very impressed with the results and the IS works really well.

If you can get one 2nd hand for £100-£150 it'll be a long time before you lose much of your investment tbh.
I was told to get this and the 50mm f1.8 and i don't regret either for a total outlay of £200.

Before you spend on L lenses, try the 55-250mm first. These go around for £120-130 in the selling section. From there you could know whether you need faster aperatures(sigma 70-200mm f2.8), quality L glass, or just like me, found the telephoto lens a good dust gatherer. A wide angle lens is more suitable for your needs to take landscape shots but having to upgrade your stock lens couldn’t hurt either. I saw a massive improvements when I upgraded my stock lens to sigma 24-70mm f2.8. But when I upgraded to L lenses, I couldn’t saw big improvements in IQ apart from making a big hole in my pocket.

Another vote for the 55-250 ... the IS is excellent.

And another vote for the 55-250 IS - my daughter now has this lens on my old 300D and gets great results. If you want a 300mm, the 70-300IS is a cracker, but around twice the price of the 55-250IS.

Good luck with your search (y)

Back