Zoom Lens for Nikon D50

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just bought a D50 and i'd like to buy a Zoom lens, something fairly versatile like a Nikon 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED IF DX.
I've moved from a Fuji S5600 which has a 10x zooms o I'm finding the kit lens a tad restrictive.
Would a 135 be enough, I like the flexibility of the wide angle so thats why i thought 18-135?
Budgeting around 200 quid.
I may then go for a 50-200mm DX or a 70-300 DX at a later date.
Does anybody have any recommendations?
Many thanks.

af-s 55-200mm VR?

Would compliment the kit lens very well, and can be picked up pretty cheap.

If you want longer than that, the Sigma 70-300mm APO is good as a low-price telephoto, costing £110-£160 depending where you buy it.

Aye, the 55-200 Nikon VR looks inviting, however would i not be changing the lenses over a lot.....I like the idea of having an 18-135mm as it seems very flexible, wide to tele without having to change over...maybe i should then go for a 70-300mm instead of the 55-200mm......

Not sure about the Sigma range of lenses, do they have IF AF VR equivalent features?
i.e what do Sigma call VR

Are they comparable quality to Nikon lenses, if so whay are they cheaper?

cheers1

Sigma call it OS optical stability

You probably won't get a VR lens over 200mm for less than £200. I think there's the 70-300mm nikkor VR but that's around £300.

Sigma 70-300mm APO is advised by many people - it's £109 from onestop digital. Linky here.

I also have the S5600 - I'll be interested in what you choose cos I might be getting a d50 soon. Good luck :)

Well, I've gone for a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor.

I wanted something that would do for a wide variety of situations.

I will probably plumb for the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor for more telephoto stuff, I should then have a decent pair of lenses would you agree?

Yeah just bought the 70-300mm VR myself really nice piece of kit :D

24-120 VR. I use one and it never leaves the camera. Shoots all my weddings, portraits, local running clubs and anything else that fits that focal lenght bill.

:)

King.

Took delivery of the 18-135mm nikon today, what a great piece of kit....looking forward to trying it out at the weekend.

And I've just bought the Nikon 18-200mm VR :)

Once I've tried both of them for a while, I'll see which one I like best.

If I decide to ditch the 18-200mm VR and keep the 18-135mm, then I may go for the 70-300mm VR as well.

I belive the 18-200mm VR is the better lens, of the three,its certainly more expensive! Is that correct?

cheers.

The Nikon 18-135mm is a great piece of kit, tried it out his weekend just gone and was quite pleased with it.

The 18-200mm VR didnt turn up until yesterday so I will havea good go with it this weekend.....

I can't see there being much in it going from 200mm to 300mm zoom....would I be right?

an extra 50% zoom

depends on what you take pictures of as to whether you feel it is a worthy addition

I persoannly have the d50 with kit lens and a sigma 70 - 300. the only time I have wished for anything bigger is for shots of the moon, which are acceptable with the 70 - 300. And am lookig around for a 50mm f1.8 to finish off

but for me that is all I need, I dont do landscape shots, largely because I find them boring but that is just me, so I dont really need anything wider than the kit lens.

One day I will upgrade them both for faster lenses but for now, I think it is a good range (also have a 2x convertor, but its a low quality one, so dont use it)

Oh no, the nikon 18-200 vr really does suffer from lens creep - the 18-135mm does not....the VR is great, really works well but the 18-135 feels a lot lighter and more manageable as an everyday lens so far....

....only used the 18-200 VR for an hour or so this weekend but you walk around for 5-10 mins or so with the camera slung over your shoulder and its fully extended....it would be good if it had a zoom lock.

not sure if I would ditch the 18-135 in favour of the 18-200 altogether....

Back