Zoom Lens.. Short term.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to get a zoom lens for a short term (6 months) and 2 came to the front of the list for my 60D.
Canon 55-250 or the Sigma 50-200..
What do you think about them..

Cheers.

For the price you pay, the 55-250 IS is one of the best zooms available. It's a consistantly good performer with very good IQ and gets loads of good reviews on this and other forums. I bought one second hand for £110 off here and it was fantastic. I've only just sold mine after having it over a year, but I've paid out a heck of a lot more to get better lenses that cover the range.

For the price you pay, the 55-250 IS is one of the best zooms available. It's a consistantly good performer with very good IQ and gets loads of good reviews on this and other forums. I bought one second hand for £110 off here and it was fantastic. I've only just sold mine after having it over a year, but I've paid out a heck of a lot more to get better lenses that cover the range.

Did you have the 55-250 or the 55-250 II and do you know if there is much difference..

I've looked at the 55-250 also for a holiday lens after realising that all my upgrades are too damn heavy to carry around as a tourist!

Some great shots there.. on the post there is a link to a firm called Flashcamera are they still selling these lens do you know?.. as it was a good price.

Cheers
Paul.

Flash Camera is Kerso on this forum, check his site or PM him if you have a stock query.

I think you will be very happy with the 55-250 for the price its great.

I am not very experienced at all and i took this picture with it and my 30D. I think the lens works great.

7361470644_3cde99aa0e_b_d.jpg

It even gets pretty close for (almost) macro shots. Very slightly cropped, probably 90% of full image.

7365241228_6e74420594_b.jpg

Hi Paul

If you check out the On The Water galleries on my Pixvault Event Photography website, all of the shots in there were taken with my 55-250mm mk1.

For the cash it's a cracking lens, and very light. You wont be disappointed with it (y)

Hi Colin..

Thanks for the insight into what the lens can do and some very well taken photographs.. superb (y)

You can get some brilliant photos from the 55-250, I had the MkII but as far as I'm aware the only difference is cosmetic, or maybe a tweak to the IS system as well. The optics remained the same but the outer was remodelled to bring it in line with the looks of the 18-55 IS MkII when that was updated.
I got mine from the classifieds here for £110 and you couldn't tell it from new. I was very impressed with it, but so was the wife who commandeered it and the 18-55 IS when I gave her my 550D, so I didn't get to use it that much.

I would definitely recommend FlashCamera, got mine for £120 shipped and of course being brand new it's easily worth the extra £10. Plus with FlashCamera you get the warranty so that's always a bonus, if it would ever be needed!

I would definitely recommend FlashCamera, got mine for £120 shipped and of course being brand new it's easily worth the extra £10. Plus with FlashCamera you get the warranty so that's always a bonus, if it would ever be needed!

Unfortunately I won't be able to buy from Flashcamera as I wanted to, so I will have to buy the lens else where..

Cheers

Unfortunately I won't be able to buy from Flashcamera as I wanted to, so I will have to buy the lens else where..

Cheers

If it isn't personal, what was the reason? I thought they had delivery to Europe showing on the website.

I've had the 55-250 for awhile and have been very happy with it.i got it for a good price from park cameras who I had a pleasant experience buying from

It's a great lens. I used to have my dads telephoto, but after seeing the 55-250mm IS at such a great price I decided why not. (IS was my main reason lmao).

I got mine second hand off MPB Photography. Worth a look there, think they have a few going round still.

I used mine while in Santorini and got some amazing photos. It's still great with a flash (diffused) and IS on in lower light situations, once dark though I had to change to my nifty fifty 1.8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antparkes/7382356136/in/set-72157629803721073/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antparkes/7382356862/in/set-72157629803721073/

Were taken with it, shows you can still get pretty close up.

It's a great lens. I used to have my dads telephoto, but after seeing the 55-250mm IS at such a great price I decided why not. (IS was my main reason lmao).

I got mine second hand off MPB Photography. Worth a look there, think they have a few going round still.

I used mine while in Santorini and got some amazing photos. It's still great with a flash (diffused) and IS on in lower light situations, once dark though I had to change to my nifty fifty 1.8.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antparkes/7382356136/in/set-72157629803721073/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/antparkes/7382356862/in/set-72157629803721073/

Were taken with it, shows you can still get pretty close up.

Hi..

Very nice photos.. especially the groyne. (y)

Did you have the 55-250 or the 55-250 II and do you know if there is much difference..

Hi

The mkII version is just a cosmetic upgrade - the outer casing has a slight redesign, as far as I know, it's an aid to the manufactoring process. The glass, IS etc are all the same.

Are you looking to purchase new or 2nd hand ?

There is always the classifieds here...

Hi

The mkII version is just a cosmetic upgrade - the outer casing has a slight redesign, as far as I know, it's an aid to the manufactoring process. The glass, IS etc are all the same.

Are you looking to purchase new or 2nd hand ?

There is always the classifieds here...

Hi Andy.

I was going to get a new one from a guy on here who is selling a new lens at a good price and looking around the difference between new and used is not that much. :)

Hi Andy.

I was going to get a new one from a guy on here who is selling a new lens at a good price and looking around the difference between new and used is not that much. :)

Hi Paul

Yes, sometimes the saving isn't that much, if you can get a new one at a good price - go for it (y)

Thanks for the kind words Gerrard.

Yeah I agree, if it's new go for it. If the price is right of course.

Back