Home set up

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks, I hope all is well.

Wife has potentially agreed to let me get a little home set up for shooting our family and pets.

Trouble is, I have no idea what I would need, what is good, what's too expensive / not necessary and so on.

I'm assuming I need some form of backdrop, a light, some reflectors of sorts...

Any pointers prior to me heading to WEX and presenting the boss with estimated costs...to much and she's going to say "on your bike"

Space is also a premium, possibly half a lounge to use, so it would need to be easy to store away.

I've seen someone selling a kit in the for sale section...would this type of set up suit?

Any help would be great...it's not for business purposes, just looking to have a little set up at home that's all, not looking to make money or anything like that.

Cheers

For years I used one studio flash with a large reflective brolly and a reflector.
I have a background stand and use paper backgrounds and tear off any damaged areas. The rolls are long so last a long time.

Could it better to go for one of those other backgrounds in the sale thread I posted, the collapsible ones?
I use a couple of collapsible ones and clip them to a stand.
The paper ones I'd use for taking pics of our new pup as it rolls right onto the floor and gives a seamless effect....
This was a collapsible background that looks like an old wooden fence.....
_DSC4772a.jpeg

_DSC4876a.jpeg

Last edited:
Some good advice here:
Just to simplify, a pop up background is great for headshots etc, but expensive for ‘one look’. Paper rolls are more useful if you’re doing pets.

But I’ll also add, I just try to keep the walls in the house fairly neutral, so I can shoot in a variety of spots with different backgrounds without having to use ‘a background’.

If you need easily demountable studio kit, ensure the softbox is ‘pop up’. And if budget allows, you could go a battery powered flash, a lot more money, a bit more maintenance but freedom from cables.

And you might consider having this moved to the lighting and studio section. :)

Also check out gumtree and fb marketplace for studio equipment....that's where I bought my lights from.....
As Phil says, you can get some great battery powered lights these days, but I don't use my lights enough to justify the extra expense.
After using a single light and reflector for 30 years I picked up a set of 4 lights and stands, brollies etc on gumtree for £150.
They're interfit studio lights. Not as good as the newer godox stuff etc, but they do a great job for the price....

Last edited:
This is great folks, thank you. I will see if those items are still for sale, wife seems to be okay with £200-£300... Currently (I'd better behave).

I have to go out now and walk around with the kids playing Pokémon Go ..so will be back on later.

Thanks so much again for the advice

Pop over to Lencarta they have a sale on at the moment

And if you have not got it already ask Gary Edwards for a copy of his book Lighting Magic and make a donation to his charity.

Perhaps the individual would be open to a lower amount? It was listed on their eBay for £500 and didn't look like it sold.

See, trouble is, I do not know what's a decent make, amount to spend, worth it (quality wise) I'm a little lost.

I can go to WEX and ask for advice, but I won't know if they are being open and honest (although I would add my dealings with them thus far suggest they are good people and I appreciate the need to make a profit in business).

Godox is the best value out there at the moment for the beginner IMHO. If you buy from Lencarta you will have good after sales and a guarantee.

I took a chance and bought all mine from Amazon and/or Ebay as I thought the cheaper prices justified a gamble. I was right, but I was also lucky and got away with it.

Godox will also be easy to sell on too should you ever need to. (y)

I saw this online:

But I think it's a tad too much for me just starting out and wanting something simple and not for profit at home..unless I tell my accountant I'm starting a photography business and it makes absolutely no money

Last edited:
I saw this online:

But I think it's a tad too much for me just starting out and wanting something simple and not for profit at home..unless I tell my accountant I'm starting a photography business and it makes absolutely no money
If it were me, I'd go for the one I linked to earlier and pick up a background stand and a paper roll separately.
You don't need anything as powerful as the one above for a small home studio so if you buy the 600w kit you've got money left for a background etc....
You could try making an offer for the one listed on here that didn't sell on eBay either.
They can only say no.

Still looking around. Think I may just go for the one you linked me to @Bobsyeruncle. I couldn't reach the money the forum member was after for their kit (£650). So I've just been busy scouting websites aimlessly lol. It's not all been a waste, I've had the fun of adding lenses, cameras and a whole host of things to various baskets in the process. I think that is one of the dangers with any hobby, you could always spend money on things like a Lumix S1R (cause you know I need 47 odd mega pixels) or the 105 mm sigma lens that is supposed to be amazing...the list goes on. In reality my S5 and the 50/85 mm 1.8s I have will more than do the job I need..

Last edited:
@Adamcski
If you want to save money and aren’t too concerned about support, you can put together a cheaper version of that kit.

Personally I’d start with a larger pop up softbox (there’s no details on the Lencarta kit so I’m assuming it might be a cheaper but more difficult to assemble softbox).

But crucially it also depends on the space you have available (critically ceiling height) and whether you can leave softboxes kicking about assembled

It’s a case of priorities; Lencarta charge more for the lights but for that you get after sales. If you buy lights with no support, you can afford a better trigger and pop up softbox.

Or you can start with a very cheap ‘brolly box’ which is 90% as effective as a large octa at <20% of the price. I used to use the brolly box in the field, as I didn’t want to risk damaging the better kit.

Basically, you could put together a slightly more versatile kit for the price of the Lencarta kit with some canny shopping.

Yes, I appreciate the advice @Phil V it's just probably easier for me to get something as a package as I still don't really know what is what.

Other option would be pop to wex and look over everything. Space is a premium and I wouldn't be able to leave things set up.

Space wise, it would be in the lounge or fourth bedroom and standard ceiling height I suppose.

I live in Solihull @Bobsyeruncle

Yes, I appreciate the advice @Phil V it's just probably easier for me to get something as a package as I still don't really know what is what.

Other option would be pop to wex and look over everything. Space is a premium and I wouldn't be able to leave things set up.

Space wise, it would be in the lounge or fourth bedroom and standard ceiling height I suppose.

I live in Solihull @Bobsyeruncle
Therein lies the rub, kits are put together to sell ‘kits’ rather than to give you what you need. Just like entry level cameras are built to leave you wanting an upgrade (rather than actually being useful for a beginner).

Seriously in your shoes I’d buy; a good stand, one head, one large pop up softbox (I’d go octa) a trigger
2x 5 in 1 reflectors, one large one smaller, a bracket for reflector, a couple of cheap stands.

If I’m being honest, it’s easier and better in the long run to ask for a kit list here than to go out blindly ‘shopping’. All the entry level kits will have softboxes which will add stress. If you want something easy to set up and tear down, that has to be your priority when shopping.

Look at the pullbacks posted above! A single light, a good softbox, a reflector. Not 2 lights and an irritating softbox (which is what’s in a ‘kit’).

@Adamcski

15 miles or so from you.
Could be worth it to see how you get on and then upgrade if you find yourself using it a lot....

Therein lies the rub, kits are put together to sell ‘kits’ rather than to give you what you need. Just like entry level cameras are built to leave you wanting an upgrade (rather than actually being useful for a beginner).

Seriously in your shoes I’d buy; a good stand, one head, one large pop up softbox (I’d go octa) a trigger
2x 5 in 1 reflectors, one large one smaller, a bracket for reflector, a couple of cheap stands.

If I’m being honest, it’s easier and better in the long run to ask for a kit list here than to go out blindly ‘shopping’. All the entry level kits will have softboxes which will add stress. If you want something easy to set up and tear down, that has to be your priority when shopping.

Look at the pullbacks posted above! A single light, a good softbox, a reflector. Not 2 lights and an irritating softbox (which is what’s in a ‘kit’).
Top advice. I'd listen to it, OP.

Back