MC_Stoo's 52 for 2010 (Week Seven)

_MG_3087.jpg

Canon EOS 5D-II | Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS | 31mm Extension Tubes
Aperture Priority | 1/30th Sec @ f2.8 | ISO 3200| Self Timer + Tripod
Spotlight to left of subject, through diffuser screen

These are some beautiful curves that I lay my hands on regularly :cool:

I deliberately used a high ISO to get some grain into the picture and put on the extension tubes in order to get the depth of field as shallow as possible.

I set the focus on the control wheel (verified with Live View at x10) and you can see the FEC button just behind it is out of focus - shallow DOF indeed!

Finally, a quick selenium toning and I'm done :)

Hmm, I am not sure about this. Initial thought was a bit flat, then I was drawn top the white area top right. Maybe a closer crop, or more LCD panel and less top would do it for me... I'm loving the interpretation though - I doubt anyone else thought of the thing they had in their hands all along!

Arthur

good idea Stoo, the only thing that does not work too well for me is the depth of field which i think is a little too shallow, I would have liked to have seen more of the grip in focus if that make sense. All in all a good start though for sure

Thanks for your feedback guys...

I initially did some shots without the extension tubes so the LCD panel was also in focus, but I found it distracting as I was trying to draw your eye to the curves on the control wheel/shutter release. Perhaps with hindsight I should have cloned out the button lettering?

My other school of thought was to shine a LED torch at that area and leave the surrounding area in the dark, but then it would just look like a Canon ad :thinking:

I've always thought that the modern SLR - regardless of brand - is a work of art... we're all just too busy looking through them to look at them :love:

That works Stu is it the 10d in the shot?

Hi Stuart. I like the idea, I like the dof and I also like the curves. (y)

Excellent curve Stuart (y) spot on theme, good DOF ... Really liking it

i was totally confused on the layout of the camera until I realised you didn't have a lens on it and that wasn't the scroll wheel on the back :)

Very clean for a 10D, nice use of dof. I don't think the white background is too distracting.

Oooh nice, first image is a lovely image in its own right and I like the DoF as is. Second one is a great concept, good for a giggle. The font doesn't do it for me, too much of a clash with the image, but I like the concept

Interesting shot Stuart, takes poetry to another level "the cool side"

Interesting take on the poetry theme. I wonder, is the Guinness in the fridge an Irish poet reference or just the tipple of choice?

:D.. very cool Stuart, I like it.

Loving week 3 chopped!! what makes the image for me is the hair isn't straight in the photo, so it adds some depth. Hope the hair is straight in real life :LOL:

A unique take on the chopped theme. Like the different lengths and processing. Couple of longer strays I'd clone out, but liking a lot.

Hi Stuart,

slow down man, still trying to catch up week 3,
seriously though, this is very nice indeed, I really love the PP that you have done has great 3D feel about it.
Its well composed, nice use of DOF and superb detail. - ticks all the right boxes and bang on theme (y)

How the hell did you do that, it's only been light an hour...

Lovely image, I was sorta hoping I might get something like this myself later in the week, lovely processing, great framing and the DoF is spot on too.

Love the DoF Stuart. Will see what this week brings - work in Spinningfields so will be out with tha camera at lunchtimes, might have to avoid St Annes Square now..

Like it, Stu! Is it really shot for the 52 though. ;)

Not convinced a shot taken last March qualifies, but nice photo nonetheless!

Phil

Back