MC_Stoo's 52 for 2010 (Week Seven)

Any reason why you opted for a portrait format?

More to the point... what's the black mark below his bottom lip?

I started out in landscape orientation waiting for someone to toss a coin but I think he was having a slow day. I turned to portrait and I liked the framing as it isolated him more.

The black mark below his bottom lip is the top edge of his jacket collar -I must confess I've never noticed it before but it's simple enough to clone out :)

Not convinced a shot taken last March qualifies, but nice photo nonetheless!

Phil

What are the rules?
There are no rules; or at least I don’t set any rules for you to follow. The idea is if you want to join in you make your own rules as it is your own personal challenge (but I would encourage you to define and share the rules you have chosen at the start of the year). If you want you can trawl your own archives, shoot 2 weeks behind the theme, have as many JOKERS as you want and there is nothing stopping you using the themes to do a 26 by picking one theme out of every 2.:rules:

Fair enough!

Phil

Great shots so far, I do like your take on chopped ;)

nice PP with week 4 - but as your early and have some time, why not see if you can get a shot this week, you dont have to of course, but....

:eek:
All four are great shots m8, well done

Thanks... appreciated :)

Great shots so far, I do like your take on chopped ;)

nice PP with week 4 - but as your early and have some time, why not see if you can get a shot this week, you dont have to of course, but....

I'd love to.. it's just I know for a fact I won't have any camera time this week.. got a major work project on and I'm in the middle of wallpapering/painting before a new carpet arrives :eek: hence my trawling the archives at the beginning of the week

So this is what happened to Noel Gallagher. Shame you couldn't get out this week to stretch your shutter a bit, but I like the positioning and processing on this very much.

Stoo, great candid. I think the DoF is spot on there, and like the use of vignetting.

I shot this wide open using the 70-200 2.8L IS

So this is what happened to Noel Gallagher. Shame you couldn't get out this week to stretch your shutter a bit, but I like the positioning and processing on this very much.

Thankyou... the decorating is done, as is my year-end tax return (ouch!) but I'm sat in a room with bare floorboards as the carpet hasn't arrived yet. Camera will be in use next week though :)

Brilliant. Nothing not to like here, great colours, great DOF, good subject and plenty of space around him.

Curved, like the perspective and PP on this.

Poetry is very clever. Very much like the thought behind this shot!

Chopped isn't bad either. Would have liked a scissors, or the face of the owner of that head or something :LOL:. Really like the interpretaion though.

Street is my favourite of the bunch! Really like this shot (y)

Stoo, that's a cracker of a shot, even if it is nearly a year old :D... I understand only too well about not getting the time.

Curved, like the perspective and PP on this.

Poetry is very clever. Very much like the thought behind this shot!

Chopped isn't bad either. Would have liked a scissors, or the face of the owner of that head or something :LOL:. Really like the interpretaion though.

Street is my favourite of the bunch! Really like this shot (y)

Thank you for your kind comments... re:chopped, the hair belongs to my daughter and I was having a hard-enough time keeping her still without adding scissors into the frame too! :LOL:

Stoo, that's a cracker of a shot, even if it is nearly a year old :D... I understand only too well about not getting the time.

Thankyou :)

Week5_Speed.jpg

Tried to think out of the box this week, to photograph something that captures speed, rather than something that moves at speed.

A GATSO camera is fairy boring to look at however, so I've "dirtied up" the image by being quite harsh with the LucisArt plugin.

Week5_Speed.jpg

Tried to think out of the box this week, to photograph something that captures speed, rather than something that moves at speed.

A GATSO camera is fairy boring to look at however, so I've "dirtied up" the image by being quite harsh with the LucisArt plugin.
Boo Hiss.... ( Subject not the photo ).

Terran

Good thinking Stu and shot and pp isn't half bad either ;)

So sorry Stuart. No idea how I got so far behind in your thread so it's catch up time for me.

Chopped : (y) Really unique take and it's great to see something that's NOT a piece of wood or a piece of fruit.

Street : Nicely spotted and well executed. The PP works well and I love the framing. It may not be in the spirit of street photography, but I would be tempted to clone out that black bit of collar that appears to be sitting on his chin - just looks a little odd.
Very good shot though, and I don't mind at all that it wasn't shot in that week.

Speed : My favourite from these 3 :clap:
The PP really makes it stand out as an image, and you've made good use of the dull white sky as a clean backdrop to isolate the subject.
A very effective and interesting shot.

I like the Speed shot, it's something I thought about doing. The prcessing is very effective :)

So sorry Stuart. No idea how I got so far behind in your thread so it's catch up time for me.

Chopped : (y) Really unique take and it's great to see something that's NOT a piece of wood or a piece of fruit.

Street : Nicely spotted and well executed. The PP works well and I love the framing. It may not be in the spirit of street photography, but I would be tempted to clone out that black bit of collar that appears to be sitting on his chin - just looks a little odd.
Very good shot though, and I don't mind at all that it wasn't shot in that week.

Speed : My favourite from these 3 :clap:
The PP really makes it stand out as an image, and you've made good use of the dull white sky as a clean backdrop to isolate the subject.
A very effective and interesting shot.

Thankyou for your catch up :D

I like the Speed shot, it's something I thought about doing. The prcessing is very effective :)

Thanks... the shot was really dull before I started the PP

A shot of a Gatso would have been in keeping with the theme, but far from inspiring. This however is really, really good. The processing is awesome and somehow manages to hold my attention. I love it :D

Excellent work Stoo... the PP works really well.

Speed rocks! Great idea of this one, and good PP too ;)

A shot of a Gatso would have been in keeping with the theme, but far from inspiring. This however is really, really good. The processing is awesome and somehow manages to hold my attention. I love it :D

Excellent work Stoo... the PP works really well.

Thanks fellas... this shows just how subjective photography can be... I personally wasn't expecting this shot to be received all that well but if you like it then it's can't be all that bad... again thankyou :)

Crikey, what a great selection of images.

You upped your game with Street, which has some seriously decent PP work on a really really good shot.

I like your version of Speed too. I've tried those Lucis Art plugins and not found a use for them yet, but it works well on this subject. Also like the angle you went for too.

Best of the set though so far is Street for me. It works really well.

Looking forward to Present!

Ian.

"Say it with flowers"

Week6_Present.jpg

OK.. each week I try to think out of the box and do my best not to replicate anyone else's ideas.

I've tried to go for a darker take on the word present, by making a flower arrangement out of weapons.

Multiplicity shot (I don't own 8 guns!) and an aggresive tone curve for the sinister contrast.
Just a shame I clipped the highlights on the blade (aka flower stem)

I think I'm gonna get a marmite response with this shot :thinking:

Very clever shot - took me a while to work out the link to "present", but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it made me think. I was initially thinking that it looked more like a clock face - with the sword being one of the hands. Then I actually read your post.

I don't know how you came up with this idea, but it's totally unique and makes a very striking image. The PP is excellent, it must have really taken some time to set up each of the positions and then merge the photos together and the B&W conversion is perfect.

The only bit I'm not so keen on is the very harsh vignetting at the top. Jut a bit too much for my taste.

Is it a very big gun or a very little sword? I like the processing on this but agree the shadow in the top corners is a little much. Definitely has an ominous feel to it like some sectarian poppy logo of remembrance.

Wow... that's different and very well thought out Stuart. The blown highlights on the letter opener isn't a problem for me, and I think the darkness really helps make it, very ominous indeed.

Wandered the streets with my 70-200 in search of people and I came up with this gem...

...the lady in question was some legal-type and clearly on her lunchbreak... she had a suitcase by her feet and she'd taken shelter in the doorway to text while having a fag... she was stood there for some 10 minutes. You can see how intent her texting was by the way her cigarette has burnt down.

She was totally oblivious to me. I only wish I'd been brave enough to take a couple of steps to the right to catch her full-length but I felt I was too close and it would have been very obvious me pointing a big bit of L-glass at her :LOL:

Week7_People.jpg

It's a great capture Stuart. The burnt-down cig really adds to the image.

Unfortunately it's not that noticeable to a thicky like me and I only saw it after reading your words. I'm not so sure how to give it more prominence unless you go B&W (to take the focus away from her red hair and/or the green sign) or try a different crop. There's not a lot in the top 1/4 of the shot, but to crop it square would mess up the exit sign...

Oh... I don't know...

I like it anyway.

Ian.

Very good shot Stuart, it works very well.

Back