Tracer's 52 for 2010 (part 2) - FINAL Week 52 - "Together"

Excellent shot and take on the theme Tracer, the reflection is spot on, and the darkness around it contrasts very well.

This week we went to St Andrews, Fife, for the day. As well as visiting friends we had a good time strolling around the old town with our cameras.

Week 30 - "Endings - St Andrews Cathedral"

tower3403c.jpg

The cathedral was started in 1160 and finally completed and consecrated in 1318. It was the largest and most important church in medieval Scotland, but during the Reformation suffered looting and neglect so that by 1600 it looked much as it does today.

I think it fits the theme: this is the west end; its current ruined state is a reminder of the end of the old religion; as you can see a lot of the original design ends rather abruptly! Ideally I would have taken it a little more straight on, but I had to avoid some ugly scaffolding.

The tower is 30 metres high, and reputed to be haunted. When we were students there a maniac from the mountaineering club climbed it one night and hung a red flashing light on the top....

I shall be away for the next ten days, with no internet or camera, but will try and catch up asap.

Edit - revised version now straightened and with a bit more contrast as suggested.

revised version

tower3403strt.jpg

Last edited:
fits the theme nicely, well processed just a pity the tower isn`t straight. overall a nice shot.

Ian

I really like 'endings', but feel that a little bit of a straighten wouldn't go amiss! Full marks for the B&W conversion, and it's really sharp, but the angle I find is slightly off-putting.

I'm not entirely convinced it fits the topic, but I've had some shocking 'crowbar' moments on mine, so I can't really comment :LOL: (and I'm about 5 weeks behind, so really can't comment!)

Chris

fits the theme nicely, well processed just a pity the tower isn`t straight. overall a nice shot.

Ian

I really like 'endings', but feel that a little bit of a straighten wouldn't go amiss! Full marks for the B&W conversion, and it's really sharp, but the angle I find is slightly off-putting.

I'm not entirely convinced it fits the topic, but I've had some shocking 'crowbar' moments on mine, so I can't really comment :LOL: (and I'm about 5 weeks behind, so really can't comment!)

Chris

Hi Tracer, what a lovely shot. Unlike, Chris, I think it fits the theme really well and is an interesting take on it. The B/W treatment and the clouds really make the shot. I do have a problem with the angle, though.

Jenny

Thank you, Ian, Chris and Jenny. Sorry you don't like the angle - I left it because I hoped it would convey the sheer height and sense of instability. A bit like a sky rocket. How it is still standing unsupported like this after 400 years I don't know...

But I take your point, and will have a shot at straightening it when I get back. I don't have time now - just packing to catch an early train.

I think it fits the theme without the use of the crowbar. I like the way the top of the tower seems to be complete but the rest of the building is in ruins.

I also like the detail in the stone work

Nice b&w conversion, but I think you can drag those shadows down a bit more just to increase the contrast between the stonework. On topic? Maybe not. Wonky? Definitely ;)

Very nicely done... sharp, detailed, and a great conversion. I'm not sure on the lean... it kinda leads to the conclusion it's falling over... so perhaps better straightened.

Catch up time for me this week. :)

Relaxation: This must be the most original (non-crowbar) in the history of the 52s - and I love it. You can see so many different things in the shapes and the crisp white on black is restful - and relaxing. It also reminds me a little of your Curved shot in Week 1. :)

Grace: Grace indeed - what a beautiful shot - serene, classy and calming. I'd love to have taken this one. :)

Endings: I don't think this is too much of a crowbar shot - a building, no matter how majestic it once was - near the end of its life. It does look a little precarious! The detail in the stonework is good and the architectural details add interest. It also looks as though it' stopped raining at last up there. :)

Jean

Quick catch-up from me - blinding 'grace' shot - agree it is a 'wall-hanger'. The B&W conversion of endings is great and I love the overall look of the shot - as others have said the angle is irritating.

Phil

I agree with Darren - just a little more contrast and it's a corker of a shot.

Thanks for all your comments, folks. I am way behind so no time to answer individually, but I think you are right about the angle. Here is a straightened, more contrasty version which I hope works better.

"Endings - revised version"

tower3403strt.jpg

That's much more imposing with the added contrast. And the straighten helps a lot (y)

So I'm back but life is still pretty hectic, and will be for the next few weeks.

I went out and shot a pylon but it was a bit dull. You know how if you stand close to them you can hear them humming? I wanted to give a sense of all that power, so started playing around in PSE. I'm no expert and I think I got a bit carried away... :D

"Week 31 - Electric"

electric34811bsmall.jpg

I was very tempted to use the pylon for both themes. However I decided to waste more time explore further in PSE by transforming an ordinary photo into something 'arty'

Week 32 - "Transform"

transform3420wash.jpg

I'm working a lot in Edinburgh at the moment and this is the Tolbooth in the Canongate. Half an hour later it was pouring with rain.

TBH I think this kind of PP treatment is particularly naff but it fits the theme and at least I am now up to date. :)

Wooooaaah!!! My head almost imploded from all the electro magnet resonance from that pylon. OTT it may be, but I think it works a treat. You've got across exactly what you wanted to (way before I read your words) and I think it is great :clap:

Your transform image is quite nice too. It might be a little naff, but I think it works well with the subject you've chosen here.

Top marks for the pylon though.

I really love the electric shot. Excellent :clap::clap::clap: You have turned what was probably a rather boring shot into something really clever. I think my hair is standing on end just looking at it! It is not overdone at all -for the theme.

I also really like transform. Yes, maybe a bit of a cop out but very nice, anyway.

Jenny

The pylon is definitely OTT but definitely fits the theme. I think transform is great, I wouldn't know that had started as a photo.

Wooooaaah!!! My head almost imploded from all the electro magnet resonance from that pylon. OTT it may be, but I think it works a treat. You've got across exactly what you wanted to (way before I read your words) and I think it is great :clap:

Your transform image is quite nice too. It might be a little naff, but I think it works well with the subject you've chosen here.

Top marks for the pylon though.

Thank you Darren. I certainly had fun with it. I'm glad you like the revised "Endings", too.

I really love the electric shot. Excellent :clap::clap::clap: You have turned what was probably a rather boring shot into something really clever. I think my hair is standing on end just looking at it! It is not overdone at all -for the theme.

I also really like transform. Yes, maybe a bit of a cop out but very nice, anyway.

Jenny

Thank you Jenny.

Your electric shot is a bit OTT but thats what makes it amusing for me.Transform is different and fits the theme. Well done for catching up.
Sue

Thank you, Sue

Transform is certainly interesting and I like the composition. Can't decide on the processing but it is an impressive effect. Electric is just stunning though - I really like what you've done to the background to add further interest to what is an imposing photo of a pylon.

Electric: Wow! I can hear it humming all the way down here in the New Forest. :LOL: Well done on bringing a potentialll dull subject to life. :clap:

Transform: I've often played around with paint effect in PS but they've been rubbish transformations. This is done with a gentle hand and a critical eye - well done! (y)

Jean

Transform is certainly interesting and I like the composition. Can't decide on the processing but it is an impressive effect. Electric is just stunning though - I really like what you've done to the background to add further interest to what is an imposing photo of a pylon.
Thank you, Phil
Your ELECTRIC is shocking (in a good way) - great processing, really brings it to life ;)
;) Thank you, Dade

Electric: Wow! I can hear it humming all the way down here in the New Forest. :LOL: Well done on bringing a potentialll dull subject to life. :clap:

Transform: I've often played around with paint effect in PS but they've been rubbish transformations. This is done with a gentle hand and a critical eye - well done! (y)

Jean
Thank you, Jean. I used a combination of Smart Blur and Dry Brush and played around with the layer opacities. I still think it is a bit naff, though!

Week 33 - "Mobile: Edinburgh Festival Fringe"

edfest35211rev.jpg

Not a brilliant composition but it's difficult to find a spot among the crowds of spectators, and this guy was zooming around a lot. He managed to catch them all without falling off!

One for philthejuggler to try? :D

Taken with my longest fast lens, the 85mm 1.8, at f2.8 for a little focus latitude while still giving some separation from the background. I don't think the face is quite sharp - I need more practice in continuous focus tracking but now that there are no pets or children at home it is difficult.

Edit: I've now desaturated the bottom windows a bit following Holryn's helpful suggestion.

Last edited:
I think you are being too hard on yourself Tracer, I like the composition, it works. The juggler is looking into the frame with the juggling batons? filling the space he is looking into. Nice separation between subject and background. It has a good splash of colour too, so for me all round it is a great image. I can't offer any crit as I wouldn't change anything. Iain

You've caught the action very well here and your framing and focus seem pretty spot on to me. Now if you could have hit focus on his face at f/1.8 then we'd be talking perfection :)

I think you are being too hard on yourself Tracer, I like the composition, it works. The juggler is looking into the frame with the juggling batons? filling the space he is looking into. Nice separation between subject and background. It has a good splash of colour too, so for me all round it is a great image. I can't offer any crit as I wouldn't change anything. Iain
Thank you Iain. I just feel the background is a bit cluttered but with street togging like this there is not much I can do. It is one of the art galleries on the Mound.
You've caught the action very well here and your framing and focus seem pretty spot on to me. Now if you could have hit focus on his face at f/1.8 then we'd be talking perfection :)
Thank you Darren. 1.8? - not a chance. It's hard enough to focus on something still. :LOL:

That's a lovely action shot, Tracer. The composition is excellent and I love the splash of colour.

Jenny
Thank you Jenny. I was lucky with the colours. Some of the performers are wearing some pretty psychedelic stuff.

Thank you Iain. I just feel the background is a bit cluttered but with street togging like this there is not much I can do. It is one of the art galleries on the Mound.

My initial thought was the same - the background is a little too prominent and the windows at the bottom stand out too much, but if you desaturate them they blend away and the juggle stands out better.

Nice take on the theme, mobile in many ways. Its a pity the bottom of the unicycle isnt in shot but i guess that would mean having people in it. Pity you couldn't ask for a personal performance. I think you have done pretty well with the sharpness.

Back