Clud17 52 Part 2 Week 44 Train

He's quite lucky really as after i'd finished my shoot i put him back outside with the leaf. Normally his ass would be squished or hurled 10 feet over the wall.

Just a quick note to the rest of the slippery suckers, im not going soft and if you dare go near the foliage in my garden i shall take action and have my vengance!
:LOL::LOL: My sentiments as well - bloomin' things.

Good take Chris. As the others have said - a little too central and the flash is a little harsh.

Thanks for all the comments, i agree with all the critique too, the light is way to harsh and i should have dug out a defuser or two. I have a couple of other shots which aren't as bad so i may rework them. The composition isn't great too and i can rework the crop too as there is plenty of space either way.

He's a lucky snail to have escaped! Your garden has just become the latest des res for every snail in the area! :LOL:

I can only agree with the earlier comments on lighting and if you get him back for a reshoot, could you ask him to turn and face the camera, please. :D Seriously - it's a good take on the theme and the colours and patterns in the mobile home are lovely. (y)

Jean

For a week without much thought that's come out really well Chris.
Crisp sharp and well lit . . . but what we all really want to know is have you had your vengeance yet? :LOL:

And transform is simply beautiful.
I must have a look into how to do these time lapse things - they look fiddly, but the end result is so effective.

He's a lucky snail to have escaped! Your garden has just become the latest des res for every snail in the area! :LOL:

I can only agree with the earlier comments on lighting and if you get him back for a reshoot, could you ask him to turn and face the camera, please. :D Seriously - it's a good take on the theme and the colours and patterns in the mobile home are lovely. (y)

Jean
thanks Jean, i forgot to mark him so i wont know if he comes back:D

For a week without much thought that's come out really well Chris.
Crisp sharp and well lit . . . but what we all really want to know is have you had your vengeance yet? :LOL:

And transform is simply beautiful.
I must have a look into how to do these time lapse things - they look fiddly, but the end result is so effective.

Cheers Sarah, and no i havn't harmed any yet but its coming......
The time lapse are quite easy really, one you have the settings you wish then its a case of leaving it to do its stuff. Any adjustments pp were done as actions and then batch processed. I used quicktime pro to stick them all together. I'm going to try a lanscape sequence during my leave next week

Week 34 Surfaces

Im quite pleased with myself today, after a week og struggling all week with a temp of over 40 and tonsilitis i havn't has much inclination for photography. Tonight i have mustered up a load of energy and produced this.

It was a bit of an effort to set up. Firstly drying the sand out in the oven, making the lunar surface and then dusting it down with a sieve and a bag of cement. The craters were made with cherry tomato's and grapes:D (im very resourceful) and then i used a kebab stick to add a bit more texture. The sun is a lamp which i had a cardboard box with a hole cut in it placed over, Its set low to create some effective and authentic long shadows.

Its a pity i didnt have a white lego man for extra effect. I did toy with the idea of creating a tin foil lunar buggy or module, but i thought the single figure would be more effective.

edit: levels adjusted to lighten the lego man nearer to white, also i have over sharpened it a bit to make the surface look more realistic of that of the moon.

it also looks way better on black here

One Small Step
4943045312_949a9fa88d_z.jpg

Last edited:
Love it Chris! Definately the most creative of images posted for this weeks theme. Nice moody lighting which really sets the scene. Not a lot more to say on this one. Would you agree that you get a little more satisfaction from taking a photograph of something you have created? I know I do. Hope you are feeling better now. iain

What a brilliant idea. Put a smile on my face already. Your creation of the moon's surface is almost as good as NASA's attempt. The small version here doesn't quite do it justice so everyone should be urged to click through. Shame your spaceman isn't in a white suit, but other than that, top marks :clap:

Love it, love it, love it !!!!!! :clap:

Fantastic idea, really well executed - and doubly well done for pulling it off when you haven't been well.
There's definitely a real sense of satisfaction from creating these little landscapes yourself . . . for my next attempt I might just have to go get myself some little Lego men :LOL:

Re: The space suit.
What colour is the Lego man? From the tone of grey it looks like he's either red or blue.
When you do your mono conversion, go to either red or blue (whichever colour he is) and move the slider to the right. This will lighten that shade and give the impression of him wearing a much lighter (maybe even white) suit.

Love it Chris! Definately the most creative of images posted for this weeks theme. Nice moody lighting which really sets the scene. Not a lot more to say on this one. Would you agree that you get a little more satisfaction from taking a photograph of something you have created? I know I do. Hope you are feeling better now. iain

thanks mate, the single source lighting was key to the image working i think,

Chris that is great, and good work for the setup.
thanks David, sometimes the set up is more fun to do than the picture itself.

What a brilliant idea. Put a smile on my face already. Your creation of the moon's surface is almost as good as NASA's attempt. The small version here doesn't quite do it justice so everyone should be urged to click through. Shame your spaceman isn't in a white suit, but other than that, top marks :clap:
Cheers mate, i think NASA had a little more room to operate in too. Definitely worth a look on black it sets the mood better.

Love it, love it, love it !!!!!! :clap:

Fantastic idea, really well executed - and doubly well done for pulling it off when you haven't been well.
There's definitely a real sense of satisfaction from creating these little landscapes yourself . . . for my next attempt I might just have to go get myself some little Lego men :LOL:

Re: The space suit.
What colour is the Lego man? From the tone of grey it looks like he's either red or blue.
When you do your mono conversion, go to either red or blue (whichever colour he is) and move the slider to the right. This will lighten that shade and give the impression of him wearing a much lighter (maybe even white) suit.

Thanks Sarah, the lego -naut is blue. I had a quick play and thats a good tip adjusting the sliders, The original was de saturated in raw so ill have to revisit that and have a go. As for creating the landscape its so much fun, it takes me back to my youth :)

Brilliant, not been about much to take photos let alone post so it takes something special to catch my eye at the moment...

That's really great, I love it all, the space suit makes no odds to me...Really, really well done. You should be proud of that image...

Just catching up Chris! I really like your idea for mobile - really clever and the shot is strong too. The surfaces shot is another great idea well executed!

You're on a roll m8!

Phil

Transform, a great idea and it's worked really well... nicely stitched together too

Mobile, it works, and works nicely, on theme too.

Surfaces, :clap::clap: Brilliant

Brilliant - particularly the larger version in the link. Very creative thinking and superbly executed lighting and composition. :clap::clap::clap:

Brilliant, not been about much to take photos let alone post so it takes something special to catch my eye at the moment...

That's really great, I love it all, the space suit makes no odds to me...Really, really well done. You should be proud of that image...
thanks very much mate, i do feel a nice warm glow about this shot and the effort has paid off:)

Week 35 Light

Well this week could have been open season as any picture taken needs light. My initial plan was to get up at the crack of dawn and grab an amazing sunrise in the Peaks. Two problems occurred with that, 1. today was the first day of my holiday and i really couldn't be arsed. 2. The clouds would have prevented a good sunrise anyway. So i thought id rustle something up at home again.

This is Emile, playing one of his legendary gigs. He's been hanging around my house now for years. all day he silently taps away, but when the sun goes down and the spotlight hits him he bangs out the deep beats all night.

The image is actually two shots blended as what i intended to do when i set out was not what i ended up with. Still i'm relatively pleased with it although i can see some flaws.

The Drums
4957588723_d77c62f6bb_z.jpg

Last edited:
Chris - Surfaces is terrific - great imagination and very well executed.

Great concept too with Light. Perfectly lit and framed. Love the story as well. :D

It's been a very good week so far for light and this is no exception. I think the atmosphere you've created with the lights is exquisite. I'd just like to see the spotlight coming in from slightly higher on the right but this is well conceived and put together :clap:

I like it Chris, it is very atmospheric. I particularly like the background lights, the little bit of flare adds to the feel of the photograph. The lighting is well balanced and interesting. All round (y) from me. Iain

It's been a very good week so far for light and this is no exception. I think the atmosphere you've created with the lights is exquisite. I'd just like to see the spotlight coming in from slightly higher on the right but this is well conceived and put together :clap:

Thanks, i had the same thoughts about the spotlight although i had to make do as i have Athsma and the room was filling up with enough smoke and i had to make do with the first shot. The things we do to get a decent shot:D

I like it Chris, it is very atmospheric. I particularly like the background lights, the little bit of flare adds to the feel of the photograph. The lighting is well balanced and interesting. All round (y) from me. Iain

thanks Iain, the lights in the back are from the xmas tree, the spotlight is an LED torch fixed into a can of coke with holes cut into it,

thanks Iain, the lights in the back are from the xmas tree, the spotlight is an LED torch fixed into a can of coke with holes cut into it,

Very Blue Peter Chris :LOL: It works though, so have a virtual badge from me.

Surfaces
excellent idea
well executed
can almost hear the clipped dialogs with beep and bawp at each end of the sentence!
the bigger blacker version is top notch

Light
not so keen on this one
took me a while to "see" the figure
nice lighting so can't complain about that!

I missed your last week's shot. An excellent take on the theme. Very clever indeed.

This week's is no exception. I am constantly amazed by the thought and preparation that most people put into their 52 shots. They are so imaginative. I love the lighting on this week's shot but I am struggling to make out the figure. Another great take on the theme. (y)

Jenny

Surfaces
excellent idea
well executed
can almost hear the clipped dialogs with beep and bawp at each end of the sentence!
the bigger blacker version is top notch

Light
not so keen on this one
took me a while to "see" the figure
nice lighting so can't complain about that!

I missed your last week's shot. An excellent take on the theme. Very clever indeed.

This week's is no exception. I am constantly amazed by the thought and preparation that most people put into their 52 shots. They are so imaginative. I love the lighting on this week's shot but I am struggling to make out the figure. Another great take on the theme. (y)

Jenny

Thanks guys, it is quite a dark shot, maybe its the way i have my laptop tilted which makes it easier for me to see.

Surfaces: Brilliant! Totally brilliant, Chris. It sounds as though you had great fun doing it too. :clap::clap::clap:

Light: A terrific take on the theme. I think I would have liked the blue light to be a bit stronger on Emile's face to create even more atmosphere, but it's a cracking shot and full marks for ingenuity yet again with the set up.

I'm looking forward to the hat-trick from you this coming week, Chris. No pressure. :LOL: :)

Jean

I really like that Chris. The effect is just what I'd expect from a stage too... excellent.

Surfaces: Brilliant! Totally brilliant, Chris. It sounds as though you had great fun doing it too. :clap::clap::clap:

Light: A terrific take on the theme. I think I would have liked the blue light to be a bit stronger on Emile's face to create even more atmosphere, but it's a cracking shot and full marks for ingenuity yet again with the set up.

I'm looking forward to the hat-trick from you this coming week, Chris. No pressure. :LOL: :)

Jean
thanks Jean, i do get stuck into a good set up:D but now you have heaped the pressure on me ill have to do my best.

Week 36 Project

A friend of mine is taking a huge step and is setting up a new business doing Hypnotherapy and Reiki. She asked me in November last year if i would take a picture for her to feature on her website, one which had a relaxed tranquil and calming feel to it. I had a few ideas but settled upon this after a trip to Crosby. She was pleased with the results but didn't get round to setting up her website. She has since given up her full time teaching job and is now comitted to making it happen. Last week she asked me if i would take a head and shoulders portrait of her for the same website. I put a bit of time in whilst walking my dog scouting for a reasonable location outside as i felt a natural location would suit her and the shot. She was a little nervous and wasn't sure how to smile for the shot. This was the one we settled on.

So the project has been on going, the first part of a landscape is well in my comfort zone but the portrait stuff gave me a new challenge and experience. I enjoyed the experience and im pleased with the results.

Another Place (part 1)
4106541647_af92b4fde2_o.jpg

Clare (Part 2)
4964764354_6cd930cc3e_z.jpg

Back