Leokull's 52 for 2011. Week 14 - Object

Hi Liam,
I don't know how I have neglected your 52 till now. I have just had a quick catch up. This is a very impressive start to the 52 and I love your home-made studio. I really like your "Empty" shot. Great processing on it. Very nice. I will be watching now for your future posts :clap::clap:
Thank you! It's good to know that people are enjoying my photos

An excellent idea and on theme, well executed to my eye (y)
Thank you Tina!

That is an excellent image for empty, can't fault it. Well done. (y)
High praise indeed. Thank you!

Now that you mention the wrist, it does look a little soft.
However, I did say hand which is what my eyes went to, which is a good sign that the image worked. Looking at the index finger, it appears to still be in focus, but could so easily have been OOF.

As for the DIY snoot - I've got three Pringle snoots and finding them very useful.
Thanks again! I've got two empty Pringle tubes ready to be converted into snoots. Can't wait till I can start using them.

Thank you!
:D:D:D:D:D:D

I like your "Empty" hand shot. The B+W works well and there's nice detail and lighting. The DOF is good and adds to the atmosephere.

Some great shots, don't know how I missed your pics before!

I like your "Empty" hand shot. The B+W works well and there's nice detail and lighting. The DOF is good and adds to the atmosephere.

Hi,

Nice range of pics there!

I made a light studio (small) from a big box and tissue paper a few years ago... Velcro the edges to store in less space. Just after a while didn't use it... Has now been scrapped.

Your pics are imaginative and follow the themes well. Congratulations!

Thank you everyone. The comments (both positive and critical) mean a lot to me and help keep me going with my photography.

Week 14 - Object

For this weeks theme I've decided, at the last minute, to use a photo I took earlier this week. Some friends and I decided to do some slackline. The object of slackline is to get from one side of the line to the other. Much like tightrope, but the line is slack and springy.
I have already put this photo up in general photography but decided afterwards to add it to my 52.

Slack by Leokull31, on Flickr

Hi, Liam, you're empty is a really simple idea and you've really done well with it.

You're maintained lots of detail in the hand and it is well positioned and composed.

You've also don well with your object. I like that you have photographed from behind. Nice detail.

Cheers.

Hi, Liam, you're empty is a really simple idea and you've really done well with it.

You're maintained lots of detail in the hand and it is well positioned and composed.

You've also don well with your object. I like that you have photographed from behind. Nice detail.

Cheers.
Thank you Andy. I've had another comment saying they weren't to keen with the photo taken from behind. But when I look at it, it makes me think of the challenge ahead.

Liam,

You've got some great shots mate, so clear using your DIY lightbox (y)

So can you expand on the materials used etc.?

Regards,

Mick
Thanks and gladly.
The box itself is made of 5 A3 sheets of 5mm foamboard (top, 2 sides, back and bottom). I cut out some large openings on both sides and sellotaped tracing paper over the holes. This is where I place my desk lamps to allow diffused light to shine through. the whole thing is held together with gaffer tape.
The backing is just large sheets of card cut to fit and pushed into place so I can change the colour if necessary. If I need extra fill light, I can place the bits I cut out of the foamboard either side of my camera.
All of the materials I got from Rymans and Wilkinsons.

I'll mirror what a few other have said that it's a different one for object, nice shot though.

Really do like the hand shot though, the texture and the lighting, what lighting did you use on it anyway. (might be cheeky and try and recreate the shot!)

laim.. i think that shot could have so easily for the tree line to encrouch on the slackline walker... but getting down low has put him against that lovely blue sky.. i like this

Hi Liam

Your object is certainly different...I think it would have appealed more had your friend been walking toward you.

Hi Liam, an interesting take on the theme for object, Like the low angle you have taken it at.

I'll mirror what a few other have said that it's a different one for object, nice shot though.

Really do like the hand shot though, the texture and the lighting, what lighting did you use on it anyway. (might be cheeky and try and recreate the shot!)

laim.. i think that shot could have so easily for the tree line to encrouch on the slackline walker... but getting down low has put him against that lovely blue sky.. i like this

Thank you all. Certainly a mixed bag of opinions this week.
I have plenty of photos taken from the front but none of them were from a low angle and Personally, I think the low angle ups the dramatic side a bit. So, for me, a low angle taken from behind trumps the eye level taken from the front.
But nonetheless thank you all for your opinions, they are all very welcome and appreciated.
David (feriso) - For my empty photo. I used a homemade snoot to light my hand in a dark room. I wrapped a large piece of black card around the head of a desk lamp, pointed it down into my hand and snapped away until I had a few compositions I liked. Simples!

Last edited:
Hiya Liam,

Great take on the object theme .... so the big question is .... did you all manage to get to the other side?

I agree about your taking it from a low angle behind .... it adds a certain sense of following the person as they journey along the line.

Well done

Cheers

Dawn :)

Back