weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

Hiya,

Right ... I hope you all had a good Father's Day ... it is almost over ... so chaps you can start thinking about passing your "Who's the Boss" badges back to the ladies please :LOL:

Back to business ...

This is not the best photo out and is one that I have 'tweeked' to give a different feel. However it has huge meaning to me .... in many ways ....

I took this photo when I got my camera back after it's repair which cost me a lot of money, so was a bit of a test shoot.

Not to mention that I got so much verbal abuse from my neighbour, hanging out of her upstairs window screaming at me like some fishmongers wife from hell.(I almost thought she was going to fall out and need rescuing herself)... which didn't do much for my confidence taking photos, despite the fact that I was on my own property ... so it was very much a quick snap, but one I saved knowing that it would come in handy some day.

Anyway the story is that someone went missing in the woodlands in front of my house (yes the same woodlands where I took the photos for my hidden shots :LOL:).... so they deployed a whole army of about 10 - 12 vehicles to search the area. God knows if they would have done the same for me :thinking: :LOL:

Anyhow .... I got this shot, despite lots of abuse from the neighbour. It may not be technically ace because it is a large crop and I have processed the image in such a way to create a feel of their being a mountain fire in the area ... although the nearest is probably Pendle Hill a few miles away :LOL:

5850474354_333a63f46b_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_6106 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

But at the start of this project I never said that I would be taking a photo, true to image, to post each week.

Granted some folk may expect same ... but for me ... this is very much a challenge not only of taking a SOOC photo but also using creativity to make something out of the poor images. So on that basis I submit this image for this week.

Some might like it, others hate it ... or failing which you will all hate it ..... :LOL:

But heck I like it and that is what matters ... maybe because it has so much meaning to me.

Anyway I have loads of other ideas for this week, just need to find the time to take the pics ..... so watch this space :D

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Dawn, as usual I'm behind again :(

But of course you are not! I like the idea of your Rescue image. But I can't get my brain to like it, :shrug: My eyes just pinned itself to that bollard over the front of the vehicle. I can see how you have processed to give a hot fire look and find that interesting but it is all too coarse and grainy for me, sorry :nono:

Hi Dawn I like this one a lot. Perfect for the theme. I like the processing - it's very atmospheric and dramatic. Possibly a tad too course/grainy as Tina says.
I hadn't noticed the bollard until it was mentioned - I guess you could clone it out if people find it distracting.

For me the crop is too tight - I feel I want to take a step back.

Your neighbour sounds fun:wacky:

Patrick

Hiya Dawn, I actually like what you have done with this picture. There is a great intense atmosphere to the photo, gives you a real impression of an intense rescue. Great work :clap:(y)

Hiya Michael,

Thank you for the kind words and compliments. Indeed it was a lot more action than we normally get in the area.

Hi Dawn, as usual I'm behind again :(

But of course you are not! I like the idea of your Rescue image. But I can't get my brain to like it, :shrug: My eyes just pinned itself to that bollard over the front of the vehicle. I can see how you have processed to give a hot fire look and find that interesting but it is all too coarse and grainy for me, sorry :nono:

Hiya Tina

Don't worry, I am sure you will soon catch up. We will all no doubt at some time in the 52 fall behind with work and home commitments.

I must say the bollard bothered me too ... but I don't think my pp skills are advanced enough to remove it ... maybe I will give it a try though and see what I can do to remove it.

It is quite course and grainy but I think that is a more a result of the tight crop causing some noise. I will see if I can rectify that too.

Thanks for your constructive feedback (y)

Hi Dawn I like this one a lot. Perfect for the theme. I like the processing - it's very atmospheric and dramatic. Possibly a tad too course/grainy as Tina says.
I hadn't noticed the bollard until it was mentioned - I guess you could clone it out if people find it distracting.

For me the crop is too tight - I feel I want to take a step back.

Your neighbour sounds fun:wacky:

Patrick

Hiya Patrick,

Thank your for the compliments and feedback. I will see what I can do in post processing to remove the course/grainy appearance.

The crop is very tight, mainly because there was quite a lot of other vehicle in the way, quite a bit of sky and obviously loads of woodland trees ... and I wanted to retain the vehicle more than anything else in the shot.

I will revisit this one to see what I can do to improve it.

Thanks again all for the compliments and constructive critique.

Cheers

dawn... 'flame' me all you want...but i am not a fan of Rescue.

I'll try and articulate my feelings... but i can see what you were trying to achieve, the idea though i think falls short because the crop is too tight and not 'realistic' enough..if there was a forest fire so close the RR was so engulfed in colour then i'd expect reflection of flames... i guess the OOF is the intense heat and pollution but still and element of focus might be in order..

..bottom line... i'm too close to the vehicle for it too feel real... i'll now go back to my corner and sit quietly :( not knowing what i'll be doing for the theme

I quite like it. It has a night vision feel to it and being unsharp works for me.

It is a little tight and I'd like to see some context, if there was any?

It's a bit like a military surveillance photograph.

Cheers.

Hi

Thank you for the comments and critique.

Sorry I can't offer more reply than that tonight .... I am feeling very emotional and drained after hearing sad news tonight.

My friend, Henriette passed away at 3pm South Africa time on 21 June 2011, so I have spent the majority of the night talking to friends and family and compiling a dedication to her. Henriette was a beautiful person and always a great motivation and always had good things to say about my photos, and I will miss her so much.

Sadly, after suffering a heart attack on Friday things went from bad to worse and with bleeding on the brain hope was not looking too good. Henriette is now not suffering, even though there are many of us left behind feeling the pain of her loss - the only rescue we have is in the memory of the happy times we shared together and the days to come when her grandchild will be born and grown up hearing about what a wonderful person she was.

So this may not be a 'rescue' photo in the true sense ... but for me it was the photo I took in hope that Henriette may be rescued from her pain and illness ... but sadly it wasn't so :crying:

5858048712_713d044d5a_b.jpg
[/url] Henriette by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Granted the composition and colours may not get all approval, but these colours are some of the last memories I have of Henriette, so have very special meaning to me.

As this week has taken a very emotional turn for me, I think I am going to leave it at this for the week.

I had loads of ideas for the theme, but need to be with my friends and family at this sad time.

Will catch up with you all later in the week.

Dawn

All ...i urge you to visit Dawn's flickr page where you'll find a bouquet of shots Dawn has done in memory of Henriette...

To Dawn..:hug:

Kev

All ...i urge you to visit Dawn's flickr page where you'll find a bouquet of shots Dawn has done in memory of Henriette...

To Dawn..:hug:

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thank you ... this means a lot and thank you for your text messages which have been very supportive.

Oh Dawn :hug: I know how awful it is to lose a friend prematurely (though I'm sure it is always a premature loss) and I send you my sincere condolences.

Henriette will live forever in your heart and mind.

Thank you Tina for the words of encouragement.

Sorry to hear about your friend Dawn.

Thank you Neil

Hiya Dawn, so sorry to hear about your friends passing. :hug: Your flowers tribute is lovely. All the best.

Thank you Michael for your words of condolence and for the lovely comment about the tribute flowers.

Henriette's daughter (Johanni) has sent me a message tonight to say that her mommy would have loved the photos and Johanni is going to print the flowers to place in the coffin ... which I think is a lovely gesture.

You are all a great support and thanks for your words of condolence.

Dawn x

Hiya all,

Just when I thought I could put 'Rescue' to bed ... tonight I bought the local newspaper and what do I see on page 4 .... but an article about the very same Mountain Rescue that I posted for this weeks theme .... talk about freaky!!!!

Anyway, seeing as I need to keep up with my photography, despite how I have been feeling over the last few days :crying: I couldn't resist taking this pic tonight. I'm not sure what the laws are about photographing a newspaper article, but I have tried to keep it discrete and as anonymous as possible.

5864175023_321c4aa3dd_b.jpg
[/url] Rescue Appeal by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

How ironic that a glazing company should take advantage of such an article :LOL: That is local press for you!

Then on top of all that I have taken on board all the critique and comments and tried to do some very sketchy processing (my mind not totally dedicated to same .... not to mention my post processing techniques leave much to be desired and I still have a lot to learn about same) .... but I have tried to remove the bollard in front of the truck ......

5860273702_c9c73e824f_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_6106 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

And then to give you all an idea of how I derived my final image ..... I thought I would post the 'almost' original .....

5864302969_fa1ac8be64_b.jpg
[/url] Rescue from original by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

which is far from the original ... but then that is what I like to do.

Anywayz ..... this has been a very emotional week for me and a challenge as such.

I am now wondering if I need to start a new post for the 2nd half of my photo52 ..... or do I continue with this one until the Mods close it down because it has reached its max (any advice from fellow members or MODS on same would be appreciated) .... not that I think the mods visit these threads anyway :LOL:

So I hope to see you on a 'better' side of a new weeks theme.

Sorry this one has been emotional ... but I felt I had to share this because I see my 52 as a project that evolves with my life and as such is a learning experience and an opportunity to document same..

I just hope that next week is going to be more 'user friendly'

BTW, I have lost a dear friend this week, but the angels are shining upon me as I have had a MAJOR gain in the week (very profitable .... and no it is not the lottery .... so don't all come begging for money) but it is a good thing in many ways. But I have put it aside for now so I can be with my family and friends in our time of loss.

I will keep you posted and once again thank you all for your support.

Luv

Dawn xxxx

I am now wondering if I need to start a new post for the 2nd half of my photo52 ..... or do I continue with this one until the Mods close it down because it has reached its max (any advice from fellow members or MODS on same would be appreciated) .... not that I think the mods visit these threads anyway :LOL:

WE ARE THE MODS...
WE ARE THE MODS...
WE ARE...
WE ARE..
WE ARE THE MODS!!!!

Hi Dawn,

Looking at your original Land Rover shot and your PP version, I appriciate the PP version more as I can see the time and effort.

As for a new thread, na, go for a record number of posts.
But if you do start a fresh one, don't forget to update your linky on the spreadsheet or we may lose your thread!

Roll on Saturday

WE ARE THE MODS...
WE ARE THE MODS...
WE ARE...
WE ARE..
WE ARE THE MODS!!!!

:LOL: Thanks Kev :D

Hi Dawn,

Looking at your original Land Rover shot and your PP version, I appriciate the PP version more as I can see the time and effort.

As for a new thread, na, go for a record number of posts.
But if you do start a fresh one, don't forget to update your linky on the spreadsheet or we may lose your thread!

Roll on Saturday

Hiya Neil

Thank you for the comments on the Land Rover shot .... it did take some time, but it helped to keep my mind busy.

Thanks too for the encouragement about the post ... I'm not sure about a record number of posts but it does seem to be getting a tad long and ideally I would prefer to keep everything in one thread otherwise I might forget about the first part :LOL:

Good point about the spreadsheet ... :thinking: maybe better to keep one thread then.

Indeed roll on Saturday .... I haven't felt very motivated the latter part of this week so need something get creative with again.

Hi Dawn, I would say keep this thread going! You are doing an excellent job in your 52 project! (y)

Edit
Just had a look at the view count for your thread 19,312!

Hiya Michael, thank you for the vote to keep this thread going and also the words of encouragement, which mean a lot to me.

How did you find the view count? Wow that is a lot :eek: ..... good job the post count isn't that otherwise this thread would have been locked down ages ago :LOL:

[s3]^^^^^
Ditto
[/s3]

Thank you Tina ;)

Wow you have all been so encouraging ... I think I will continue with this thread then ..... after all it would be nice to keep everything in one place.

Only one more sleep till we find out the new theme :D

Now I have to go and catch up on all your threads, I'm sorry I haven't commented yet ... but will make it my mission tonight to visit all.

Have a great weekend.

Cheers

Hi Dawn, went into user cp, looked at the my posts bit, and there is a number of views on the same line as the thread title. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks .... I never noticed that before :LOL: I learn something new every day :)

Cheers

Hi Dawn

1st off I apologise for being so late posting here with condolences for you loss...I knew I'd be pushed for time hence the text .As I said...call if you need , always here for you to listen or whatever you need :hug:

The flowers tribute ( flickr )is just beautiful, superb work & very fitting (y)

Love your 1st shot for resure , very effective processing which adds to the drama of the event & gives a nightscope type feel ,likewise for your re-edited version ,well done on removing the bollard (y)

The newspaper capture was indeed spooky:eek:

Keep up the great work & keeping all your 52 in one place has to be the best way...makes it easier to track your progress:LOL:

Luv Lynne x

Hi Dawn

1st off I apologise for being so late posting here with condolences for you loss...I knew I'd be pushed for time hence the text .As I said...call if you need , always here for you to listen or whatever you need :hug:

The flowers tribute ( flickr )is just beautiful, superb work & very fitting (y)

Love your 1st shot for resure , very effective processing which adds to the drama of the event & gives a nightscope type feel ,likewise for your re-edited version ,well done on removing the bollard (y)

The newspaper capture was indeed spooky:eek:

Keep up the great work & keeping all your 52 in one place has to be the best way...makes it easier to track your progress:LOL:

Luv Lynne x

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for the text, kind words of support and comments about the tribute, which have been a great help.

I'm glad you like the rescue shots and your comments confirm what I was aiming to achieve with the processing :) Indeed it is spooky about the newspaper article ... I couldn't believe it when I saw the story.

Your encouragement is much appreciated and a great help to spur me on to complete this project. Thanks for the (y) about keeping my 52 in one place.

Luvz

Dawn x

Hiya,

Okay here we are at midpoint ... or should that be 'high' point????? :thinking: :shrug:

I think this Photo52 has added pressure on many at certain points through the challenge, and when you think of it there are still a good 25 weeks to go, GIVE US STRENGTH!!!!!

For me .... this has been one of the most challenging of weeks .... the subject is a very personal one and can be interpreted in many ways .... hence why I am posting so late, or should that be 'early' in the morning :thinking: Hey at least I am way past the 'watershed', hence why this first comes with an NSFW warning! I have checked and there aren't many mods online at the mo ... infact only one ... so guess I can try sneak past :LOL:

So please bear with me on this one (is that the right term to use? :naughty:) because I couldn't make my mind up on which to post because they each have their own appeal:

1. 'E'Sensual steam

5885773496_7f33d78402_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0027 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

2. Silky, soft, shiny, sensual ...... seductive ...... SURE!

5885773064_d1063396e0_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0026 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

3. Noir

5885772338_bc91daa2a8_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0020 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

4.The dark side :naughty:

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/crystal_singer/5885203931/] IMG_0037 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/URL]

5. Come dine with moi :naughty:

5885203497_886ed225bb_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0034 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

This has been a challenge indeed!!!!!!

Last edited:
well Dawn, i can you have dipped your toe into the waters of sensuality for this one, and to be the model must have been a brave thing to do, unlike most men who only 'hinted' at asking the missus (we know who holds the frying pan...:cautious: )

..And to not only post one but a multitude of variations shows 'resource' in my eyes.. :naughty:

I'm glad to see you included the noir take as that for me, is my bag when it comes to stockings, and the DOF blur leads nicely away....

And i guess also i have the option of a cold shower before work :bang:

A* Dawn and go to the top of the class...or should i say foot (y)

:shake: + :shake: + :shake:

I feel shamed....:crying:

I'm very impressed with these. Well thought out, well composed, great detail and super ideas.

Legs aren't bad either...:) :confused:

I'm opting for #4, it looks by far the more relaxed one to me. Nice and moody. I like the feathers and satin (or I suspect silk!) sheet.

Very well done and I hope Kev's not still in the shower (with his boxes)....

(y)

Right, I'm off to try and redeem myself and get a decent photograph of Henry Moore's Reclining Women...

Cheers.

Hi Drodd

These are my feelings on the picts :) like em.... but (always one somewhere)...

Initially thought wow! Neat processing. After a relook at it the white fading is not quite working for me.

Too dark? Also the little bit of red on the rhs looks nice, but is missing a counter on the left. Prolly impossible with the side lighting..?

Love it - works very well. the dead space at the top balances the white lace/tights at the bottom. Very well done!

Too dark, although am liking the red sheet.

Too bright lol. But that red sheet really works to show legs/shoes. Perhaps a balance of brightness between #4 and #5 would work.

Congrats on the pics and well done :)

(PS I am (a) not wearing tights and (b) definately not taking pics of my legs :D not a nice view)

Hiya Dawn, firstly a big well done for doing these. I am very impressed!

Number 1: The white vingett works very well, lovely pose and the lighting is great.

Number 2: Is a little on the dark side, but I do like it

Numner 3: Is just grest! The black and white conversion suits this so well.

Number 4: I can't make my mind up! It's a very teasing image and its growing on me.

Number 5: Love the brightness of this one. The red sheet is a great addition to all of the shots. Im wondering what it would be like with more dof. I like the shoes and they certainly add to the image.

Once again Dawn a big well done for these. Just need to get mine sorted now. I know what I want to do, just hope I can pull it off.

Cannot look at them properly at the mo, as I'm in work I had to scroll quickly past them!
Strange thing is, scrolling down the screen you start with the feet at the top of the image and then reveal the legs :naughty:

neil.. i know what you mean... but as i work in an adult 'entertainment' store...surely the NSFW should be N Usually SFW .... i was going to print a few off and see if the clientele liked what they saw.. :nuts:

Hiya Kev,

well Dawn, i can you have dipped your toe into the waters of sensuality for this one, and to be the model must have been a brave thing to do, unlike most men who only 'hinted' at asking the missus (we know who holds the frying pan... )

..And to not only post one but a multitude of variations shows 'resource' in my eyes.. :naughty:

I'm glad to see you included the noir take as that for me, is my bag when it comes to stockings, and the DOF blur leads nicely away....

And i guess also i have the option of a cold shower before work :bang:

A* Dawn and go to the top of the class...or should i say foot (y)

Thanks for the comments and dare I say ... glad they seem to have an impact on you. Don't look at these too often then ... you may run out of water :p

Indeed it was quite a challenge to be model and take the photos .... not the easiest thing to do whilst lying on the bed trying to get the right angle ... that would probably explain why I had a kink in my neck the next day :LOL:

As you have probably figured out already .... I don't do things in small doses :D

Funny thing is ... when I processed the Noir photo ... I had you in mind :eek:

I'll see you at the top of the class then as your photos for this week are A+++++

...by not doing this you're spoiling it for the ladies m8!! .. :naughty:

:agree: ....come on get those pins out!

neil.. i know what you mean... but as i work in an adult 'entertainment' store...surely the NSFW should be N Usually SFW .... i was going to print a few off and see if the clientele liked what they saw.. :nuts:

Kev .... you dare and you will never see light of day again :bat:

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers

Well Dawn, I don't know what to say, but ...WOW..... I like the processing however the last one is a tad too dark, great idea and well executed.

:)

I'm very impressed with these. Well thought out, well composed, great detail and super ideas.

Legs aren't bad either...:)

I'm opting for #4, it looks by far the more relaxed one to me. Nice and moody. I like the feathers and satin (or I suspect silk!) sheet.

Very well done and I hope Kev's not still in the shower (with his boxes)....

Right, I'm off to try and redeem myself and get a decent photograph of Henry Moore's Reclining Women...

Cheers.

Hiya Andy, thanks for the comments and compliments, glad they meet with your approval. The satin is actually my dressing gown ... not a sheet ... talk about improvisation :D

I think Kev might just be in the shower .... again ... and with his boxes too ;)

Good luck with the Henry Moore's Reclining Woman shot ... look forward to seeing it.

Hi Drodd

These are my feelings on the picts like em.... but (always one somewhere)...

#1 Initially thought wow! Neat processing. After a relook at it the white fading is not quite working for me.

#2 Too dark? Also the little bit of red on the rhs looks nice, but is missing a counter on the left. Prolly impossible with the side lighting..?

#3 Love it - works very well. the dead space at the top balances the white lace/tights at the bottom. Very well done!

#4 Too dark, although am liking the red sheet.

#5 Too bright lol. But that red sheet really works to show legs/shoes. Perhaps a balance of brightness between #4 and #5 would work.

Congrats on the pics and well done :)

(PS I am (a) not wearing tights and (b) definately not taking pics of my legs :D not a nice view)

Hiya Vince ... thanks for the in-depth critique. At first I wasn't sure about the white fading either ... but then after looking at it a few times it added what I was trying to achieve, i.e., a soft steamy glow. Granted the images may look a bit dark ... that is the effect I was going for (not to mention that I didn't want to make my legs too visible :LOL:)

Hiya Dawn, firstly a big well done for doing these. I am very impressed!

Number 1: The white vingett works very well, lovely pose and the lighting is great.

Number 2: Is a little on the dark side, but I do like it

Numner 3: Is just grest! The black and white conversion suits this so well.

Number 4: I can't make my mind up! It's a very teasing image and its growing on me.

Number 5: Love the brightness of this one. The red sheet is a great addition to all of the shots. Im wondering what it would be like with more dof. I like the shoes and they certainly add to the image.

Once again Dawn a big well done for these. Just need to get mine sorted now. I know what I want to do, just hope I can pull it off.

Hiya Michael, thanks too for the detailed critique and glad you are impressed by these. Also glad that you like the white vignette on the first and the processing of #3.

Good luck with your photo for the theme .... look forward to seeing it.

Cannot look at them properly at the mo, as I'm in work I had to scroll quickly past them!
Strange thing is, scrolling down the screen you start with the feet at the top of the image and then reveal the legs :naughty:

Hiya Neil, OMG even when I post it with NSFW you go and open it at work :LOL: That was the idea behind having the feet at the top of the image ... so as one scrolls down .... more is revealed :naughty:

Well Dawn, I don't know what to say, but ...WOW..... I like the processing however the last one is a tad too dark, great idea and well executed. :)

Hiya Emily, thank you for the comments ... I think I may need to view these on another screen because they don't seem as dark on my monitor as what people seem to be commenting about :thinking:

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to look at and comment on this set, much appreciated.

I have one more idea for this theme which I may post later.

Now I need to go and peek at all your posts and do a catch-up.

Cheers

Back