weekly Drodd's Photo52 for 2011 - Week 51, 52 and bonus: Light, Glass, Nature (post 1545)

again..you sound like my mother superior...!!! uncanny!! ...

So long as you are protecting that underwear you confessed too :) Your secret is safe with me :LOL:

So long as you are protecting that underwear you confessed too :) Your secret is safe with me :LOL:

protecting that udnerwear??? i can only think you're refering to the appliance ... never without.. never know when some othe rmotorist is going to get road rage over your bumper sticker saying..'if you want to go faster, find a different road' :thinking:

protecting that udnerwear??? i can only think you're refering to the appliance ... never without.. never know when some othe rmotorist is going to get road rage over your bumper sticker saying..'if you want to go faster, find a different road' :thinking:

Oh don't even go down the route of my bumper stickers ....I have many ;) all true to form :LOL:

What are you two on?

Hey Neil..you've tuned into KevFM ... from the Fenman to the Ferryman, we don't play the music you want to hear *** that would mean we would have had to have read your email requests ... NOW...on with random music picked by our neighbourhood dog... deigo montagé....

What are you two on?

Neil I think it may be referred to as a 'Photo52 high' :D

Generally affects one whilst waiting for the new theme to be announced :LOL:

Cheers

Dawn :)

Neil I think it may be referred to as a 'Photo52 high' :D

Generally affects one whilst waiting for the new theme to be announced :LOL:

Cheers

now i might have used the smilie that does this .... :agree: ... but i'm too busy being elaborate.... ..

guess anthing is better than having beiber fever... :naughty:

Hi what a great set of images, and well done for braving the self-portrait waters.

They are just a brilliant set. I'm so impressed in lots of ways. They all shout sensual, seductive and sexy to me. The unusual angle works well with the DOF. The low-key lighting adds hugely to the atmosphere.

For me, the ones without the white stocking tops work better. The band of white in a lowkey image jars a little for me.

#5 is my favourite The brightness of the red satin contrasts wonderfully with the dark of the stockings. The angle seems better on this one - on some of the others the legs are a bit fore-shortened. The cream shoes reflecting red also works v well.

I've not looked though all the week 26's yet, but this post is the best for the theme I have seen so far. It's also high up the rankings for the whole 52.

Well done.

Hi what a great set of images, and well done for braving the self-portrait waters.

They are just a brilliant set. I'm so impressed in lots of ways. They all shout sensual, seductive and sexy to me. The unusual angle works well with the DOF. The low-key lighting adds hugely to the atmosphere.

For me, the ones without the white stocking tops work better. The band of white in a lowkey image jars a little for me.

#5 is my favourite The brightness of the red satin contrasts wonderfully with the dark of the stockings. The angle seems better on this one - on some of the others the legs are a bit fore-shortened. The cream shoes reflecting red also works v well.

I've not looked though all the week 26's yet, but this post is the best for the theme I have seen so far. It's also high up the rankings for the whole 52.

Well done.

Hiya Patrick,

Thank you for the compliments and critique. I appreciate your comments about the white band photos.

Wow the high praise is very encouraging, thank you.

This was quite a challenging week, but I am impressed with the photos that all have been produced for same .... now for week 27.

Cheers

Thank you all for your continued help and support throughout the year, all has been taken on board and I have learned so much over the past 6 months.

The question now is .... do I part with this first half and start a new thread for the 2nd half ... or do I run with the OP?????

Funny thing is, this week co-indices with my birthday (tomorrow) for which I have an idea for the new theme of 'Elaborate', but I am not sure whether to post as a continuation of my last thread or start a new one.

Bearing in mind if I leave my last post with the NSFW ... that could stand for ever, which has been surprisingly viewed .... over 2000 times in the last week :eek:

So do I stay or do I go????

Obviously at some point the MODS/ADMIN may close my thread if I continue ...purely because it reaches PRIME. But I would hope that in this respect ... being an ongoing project they would let it run, and I would appreciate same as, ideally, I would like to keep everything in one place (if that makes sense?)

So any advice from both participants of the Photo52 and Mods/Admin would be greatly appreciated before I post my week 27

Cheers

The NSFW tag always attracts attention :)
I'll flag this in the staff room for you (y)

Hiya Dawn, I would continue with the same thread, you have put a great deal of work in to this first half and as you know it's so popular with the rest of tp. I have continued mine in the same thread, I know I have not got as many replies, but I just want to keep it going, I have also feel really proud of getting this far and 1 good thread to last the year would be great. (y)

I would keep going myself Dawn...(y)

Regards MD(y)

The Answer from on high is that these threads are NOT closed when
they reach 1000 posts so you are quite safe continue as you were (y)
If however you want to close this one with a link to part II, and start a fresh just let me know :)

Thank you guys for all your replies and encouragement!

OKay ... I will continue with this one and hopefully it won't be closed down so get set to see me for the next 25 weeks, I am here to stay and hopefully produce some great shots as the second half of this project is going to be all about taking on board what I have learned in the first half and developing on same:D

Woohooo! what a day it has been :banana:

I am so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends ... who have all made my birthday so special :)

It is taking me ages to get through all the birthday messages and calls .... and I have set aside tonight to do my photo for this week's theme ... which I will do tonight ... I have to because I need to tuck into the props :LOL: Not to mention the relaxing bubble bath I have promised myself .... accompanied by some candle light, chill out music and champers ;)

So bear with me ... the photo will be up soon:D

Glad to see some of your photos for this week's theme .... they are great! (y)

Cheers

I look forward to seeing it Dawn, I'm intrigued. Glad you have had a great birthday. (y)

Hiya Michael,

I don't think you will be disappointed, it is something right up your street ;)

And thanks, the birthday is going great guns :D

Cheers

Hiya

Well what can I say except that I have had a fantastic birthday!!!

Things got a bit on top of me tonight ...... what with all the emails/texts/phone calls and moi wanting to relax and have a chill time .... so I am a bit late posting ... but I have enjoyed tonight ;)

Elaborate .... well I think this pretty much sums it up ... This was my birthday pressie to myself ... a new (well second hand camera) an upgrade to my 1000D with a 50mm prime lens and then to top it all a new 50-200 lens. This may not be 'elaborate' in 'layman terms' ... but for me it is a very elaborate move!

So I present to you my self-party for the night and one I will not forget :D

5910566292_38dbb693c6_b.jpg
[/url] IMG_0203 by crystal_singer (drodd), on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers

Dawn ;)

Last edited:
Love the pic Dawn! You have a nice bit of kit there now, always nice to treat yourself. The lighting is very nice and I love the warmth and the background is excellent. (y)

Hiya Michael,

Thanks for the compliments, I've just noticed that you use a Canon 30D (y) I'm still trying to figure out all the controls .... I need to print of the manual some time ... when I get my printer working.

The lens on the left of the pic is the same as the one you will hopefully have in your paws on Monday :D

Indeed it is nice to treat oneself .... every year I try to buy myself a pressie for my b/d, probably not this elaborate ... although coming to think of it I bought myself Jasper (my campervan) in 2008 :LOL:

The lighting is mainly from the candle on the cake and the background is a plain red sheet. The lighting has turned out just as I wanted it to ... and actually, besides a slight crop ... this is SOOC so overall I'm happy with how it has come out.

Enjoy your new lens, I'm sure you will be very happy with it .... as I am :D

Cheers

Its a super camera Dawn, and I'm sure you will be very pleased with it. I went from a 350d to to the 30d and it didn't take me long to get to know it at all. I am certainly looking forward to receiving my lens, I have been told it's an early birthday present for me, at least I don't have to wait 4 months or so for it!

Dawn,

Sorry for the delay in commenting. I've been away, stuck on Salisbury Plain all week :puke:

Anyway, comments....

Love the first of your Sensual shots. It has the best exposure, the white is nice and bright, and the positioning of your (great) pins works well.

The rest are OK, but I feel just a little too under exposed, and some of the legs could do with slightly better positioning (not being rude, I’m on about diagonals and rules of third, not smut ;) ). That said, I know how hard it is to do a set up shot, where you are the camerawoman and the model.
I think using a tripod would have helped here. Just set it up, lock everything off, and use a pillow or something to represent your thigh, so you have a point to focus on. Then set the self timer, remove pillow, replace with your legs and wait.... It's a bit more convoluted than holding the camera, but you should get sharper exposures, and better light (you can use slower shutter speeds).

I love the fishnet look, and can't comment on the use of white shoes and black stockings, because I'm a bloke, and have no colour coordination, and I'm also just happy to see heels and stockings on a woman anyway :nuts: :clap: :naughty:

I like the feel of Elaborate, but again, the expose is just a little to under for me. Again, using natural candle light can prove tricky.
This again could have benefited from a tripod set up. Lock everything off, set the camera to M. And do two exposures. One for the highlights, and one for the shadows. Then a quick blend in PS, and your in. :)
Another idea that may have worked really well would have been to have the glass near the front (foreground interests) and catch the bubbles from the champers reflecting the candle light.

That said, the Canon 30D is a good camera, so I hope you have many happy exposures from it ;).

Oh , HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :wave:

Hi, Dawn and happy belated birthday; once again you've oput a lot of thought into your theme.

I like the red backing, really like the shadows, low angle and reflections, chocolate cake...:puke:

Jokes aside about the cameas, I'm not sure the juxtopasition (love that word!), of the cameras and champaign, candle, etc work. The camera is, indeed, elaborate, but I'd like to see a nice angled photopgrap, minus the camera/lens.

Candle is over-exposed and I know it'd difficult to get a correct, overal, exposure in one photograph. As has been suggested a 2 shot bracket would sort this out.

Anyway, hope you've recovered from the champaign!!

PS 50mm prime, best lens I have...(y)

Cheers.

Dawn,

Sorry for the delay in commenting. I've been away, stuck on Salisbury Plain all week

Anyway, comments....

Love the first of your Sensual shots. It has the best exposure, the white is nice and bright, and the positioning of your (great) pins works well.

The rest are OK, but I feel just a little too under exposed, and some of the legs could do with slightly better positioning (not being rude, I’m on about diagonals and rules of third, not smut ). That said, I know how hard it is to do a set up shot, where you are the camerawoman and the model.
I think using a tripod would have helped here. Just set it up, lock everything off, and use a pillow or something to represent your thigh, so you have a point to focus on. Then set the self timer, remove pillow, replace with your legs and wait.... It's a bit more convoluted than holding the camera, but you should get sharper exposures, and better light (you can use slower shutter speeds).

I love the fishnet look, and can't comment on the use of white shoes and black stockings, because I'm a bloke, and have no colour coordination, and I'm also just happy to see heels and stockings on a woman anyway :nuts: :clap: :naughty:

I like the feel of Elaborate, but again, the expose is just a little to under for me. Again, using natural candle light can prove tricky.
This again could have benefited from a tripod set up. Lock everything off, set the camera to M. And do two exposures. One for the highlights, and one for the shadows. Then a quick blend in PS, and your in. :)
Another idea that may have worked really well would have been to have the glass near the front (foreground interests) and catch the bubbles from the champers reflecting the candle light.

That said, the Canon 30D is a good camera, so I hope you have many happy exposures from it ;).

Oh , HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! :wave:

Hiya Adie,

Thanks for the birthday wish, comments, compliments and tips. All taken on board.

Regards 'sensual', IF I ever have to attempt a shoot like this again I would see if I can rig up the tripod better and as you suggest using a pillow to get the focus. I did try using the tripod at first, but because the bed has a bedstead at both ends it was a bit awkward to get the tripod in the right position, with all other factors such as lighting etc, not to mention the highest timer setting on my camera is 10 seconds ... that didn't give me enough time to hop into position :LOL: OMG if you could have been a fly on the wall you would have wet yourself laughing at me trying to get it right :D

It was intentional to have a lower light .. but as you say perhaps underexposed is more how they appear.

Anyway in the end I had to go with handheld ... not ideal, but I think I did all right considering. This shoot definitely opened up my mind to other ideas for a self shoot .... but one that will be merely as a learning experience (and not for display :naughty:) It's amazing how much I have learned from this set about lighting, camera settings etc. As for rule of thirds ... still have to practice more with that.

Regards 'Elaborate' again wanted a low light feel to the image. Perhaps I need to learn and practice more with diffusing light. I had tried using the pop-up flash and other light forms .. but they all lost the mood of what I wanted to create ... so in the end resorted to just using the candle light as the source with a slower shutter speed. I had the camera on tripod for this shot and used the cable release. Your tip about the taking two shots for the highlights and shadows sounds very technical ... but I will give that a try some time (after all this is why I am here ... to learn about these sort of things ... just need to put into practice).

Also like your idea about the glass and bubbles. I hadn't thought of that one ... maybe the bubbles were starting to go to my head by this stage :D One of the reasons I added the cork was to try to create some foreground interest.

I try to take some photos everyday with the 30D so I can get used to the controls, it is somewhat different from my 1000D. Have to say though that I am impressed with some of the photos I have taken of my son using the 30D with 50 mm prime.

The Sigma 50-200 mm lens is a treat too .... got some great shots on the weekend with it.

Thanks again for your in-depth critique .... much appreciated (y)

Cheers

Hi, Dawn and happy belated birthday; once again you've oput a lot of thought into your theme.

I like the red backing, really like the shadows, low angle and reflections, chocolate cake...:puke:

Jokes aside about the cameas, I'm not sure the juxtopasition (love that word!), of the cameras and champaign, candle, etc work. The camera is, indeed, elaborate, but I'd like to see a nice angled photopgrap, minus the camera/lens.

Candle is over-exposed and I know it'd difficult to get a correct, overal, exposure in one photograph. As has been suggested a 2 shot bracket would sort this out.

Anyway, hope you've recovered from the champaign!!

PS 50mm prime, best lens I have...(y)

Cheers.

Hiya Andy

Thanks for the birthday wish ... I had a great day :D

How can you not like chocolate cake .... it is yummy :p

Granted this is not a set up I would have normally chosen for this theme, but as it co-incided with my birthday I thought it appropriate. I have another idea for the theme, which I may try to do tonight once my son is with his dad and when I can regain some space in my house as Reuben seems to have taken over this week. Can't see the floor for all the toys :LOL:

I agree about the candle lighting being tricky and I really should get my head around this 'bracketing' for exposures. The only thing is my Photoshop skills leave a lot to be desired ...still trying to figure out the software :bonk:

I have recovered from the champers ... took a while :LOL:

Thanks again for your c&c

Cheers

Hi

Happy birthday!

And congrats on the 30D purchase.

I'm not sure about the photo itself to be honest... sentimentally for you im sure it sums up your day... but for me the link to elaborate is only in your mind... not in a general viewers... what I mean by that is that if you took someone off the street and asked them about your pic... I dont think they would say elaborate...

It's a bit like the one I posted for delicate... I'm not sure it works too well and will prob at sometime get reshot!

It could def do with a tripod to aid the sharpening up of the shot. The camera and lens look so out of place... and if you left it at that you'd have a great shot for a celebrate theme! Also I feel the background gives it a dodgy mid 80s look!

Sorry not sounding very positive there... as always I just like to be say it how I see it

Brilliant Dawn, you greedy girl, you ate all that chocy cake to yourself, :LOL: looks yummy,

Pleased you has a fab birthday, you deserve it (y)

Like your composition,

Hi

Happy birthday!

And congrats on the 30D purchase.

I'm not sure about the photo itself to be honest... sentimentally for you im sure it sums up your day... but for me the link to elaborate is only in your mind... not in a general viewers... what I mean by that is that if you took someone off the street and asked them about your pic... I dont think they would say elaborate...

It's a bit like the one I posted for delicate... I'm not sure it works too well and will prob at sometime get reshot!

It could def do with a tripod to aid the sharpening up of the shot. The camera and lens look so out of place... and if you left it at that you'd have a great shot for a celebrate theme! Also I feel the background gives it a dodgy mid 80s look!

Sorry not sounding very positive there... as always I just like to be say it how I see it

Hiya Mark

Thank you for the birthday wishes ;)

As for the pic ... yes it was a very personal one this week. I have tried tonight to get a better photo for this theme but hell I just can't get it right :bang:

So I think I may have to leave it at this one for this week :p

Actually the photo was taken with camera on tripod ... so not sure why peeps keep suggesting that I use one, obviously there is something there that I am missing.

As for the 80's look ... well that is the era I enjoyed the most so perhaps there is a bit of that in there.

Thanks for your comments and critique ... all taken on board.

Cheers

Dawn

Last edited:
Brilliant Dawn, you greedy girl, you ate all that chocy cake to yourself, :LOL: looks yummy,

Pleased you has a fab birthday, you deserve it (y)

Like your composition,

Thanks Dave ;)

I did however save a piece of cake for my son (and he really enjoyed it too) :D

Cheers

I see Roos feeling better now (y)

Hiya Dave,

Yes, thank goodness .... it has been a very tough week for both of us, I am just so glad he is getting well.

Cheers

Back