weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

I too thought it was a stain on the mug. nicely composed and no harsh light on the white mug its certainly is a shadow

There's obviously something about cups and shadows; we've had a few of them!

I like this a lot, and understand what you mean about the handle, but because it's like it is, it's not quite convincing for me. I love the composition and the exposure though - it could so easily have ended up blown and harsh.

Hi Mike

Shadow - good lighting and set up - like the halo effect around the shadow. The way that the shadow and the handle are set is just about alright with me because it requires a double take to check whether the eyes are deceiving.

I guessed that the squiggle down the cup was part of the glaze but that little brown spot on the top lip of the cup niggles me - strange how something so small can attract attention.

wow great shot, love the way the swans get closer in a line lol :clap:

Hi

Shadow - My eye keeps wandering back to the brown mark (which I too thought was a stain by the way) but the shadow dominates the shot and so it works for the theme of the week.

Glow - nice shot and right on theme. The swans give foreground interest which your eye follows up to the horizon where there's the glow. Well caught!

Hi Mike.

You need to add a link to this thread in the photos one :)

I like glow a lot, very very nice composition.

My only two crits are that I'd like a little more light on the swans, and I think it needs a very slight CW rotation. I know the spire is vertical, but everything else looks a little off level to me.

I thought about the CWR too Mark, but wondered if it was just me :)

I know the swans add to the image but for me it is all about the top half of the image. There's certainly a lovely glow in the sky on this one. Well done.

agree with Peter about the colour in the sky really nice, it does look a little slanted as has been mentioned could be wrong though

Hi Mike,
Haven't had a lot of time this week to comment so I am catching up on others threads.
Glow, lovely scene, well captured. It really tells a story IMHO, the swans giving the lead in to what is a fantastic sky.

Round, you were quick off the mark with this one :LOL:
Again a lovely scene well captured, there's a lot of detail in there (y)

Hi MIke

Glow....beautiful colors , the swans work really well but I'd almost be tempted to crop them out & just have the sky colors reflected in the water. & I agree with the cw rotation , only a smidge though , other than that it's dreamy mister :clap:

Round...love it , bg adds context , great DOF, very sharp :clap:

Shadow...having read others crit I need to go play with a mug & some lights cos nothing strikes me as odd about the handle being in shadow, with the light coming from the lhs I'd have expected the handle to be in shadow :shrug: that aside it's bang on theme , great shadow (y)

nice pic for round the background as others have said really makes it

Many thanks for the comments Allan, Lynne, Iain, Michael, Alan. The round shot was wonderfully opportunistic. Realistically yesterday was going to be my only chance to get outside in some decent weather. It was a lovely day, a super walk, the woods were mostly in the shade, and then there was that post with a perfect shaft of sunlight on it...

I really like that for round Mike. I think everything about it is spot on; good light on the super sharp post, nice composition, nice bit of autumn colour showing through, and great DoF.

I like this. The round signs hit the theme but the background of the gate and bright field behind with just the right amount of DoF really make the image stand out. Nice one.

Hi Mike, I like that. It definitely works for the theme, and your model has done a good job. B&W was a good choice too.

The grain does add to it I think, but not for the reasons you gave - I don't think it adds to the theme, just that it looks good!

Hi MIke

Busy - what a great idea. - bang on theme for me. Brings back all of your work and a reminder of some cracking shots.

Must have been difficult to have laid them out and just a bit of table showing top left and right.

But that chair, that swan, those landscapes .....

Well done all year. :clap:

Thanks for visiting my thread all year. :ty:

Hi Mike,

Busy - Good idea and a great way to end the year.

Well done for completing the challenge. :clap: Do you think you'll be doing it again next year?

Back