weekly Marsha's 2013 52 - Finally finished!

The goblin

<span class="poty">POTY Winner 2015</span></br>
Name
Marsha
Edit My Images
Yes
I had this crazy idea to do a 52 in 2012 knowing it was going to be a busy year. Well 2013 is looking like it's going to be worse in the busy stakes as I'll be a full time working single mum for the first six months :puke::help::nuts::bonk: But hey who said life was easy, so here we go!

I have to be realistic though:
1, I will post each shot as soon as I can, as long as it's faster than DK I'll be happy ;)
2, I will file my photo's every week on completion, maybe I should sort last years out first!!!!
3, I will get around to others threads eventually. If I've not popped in by the six month please feel free to hit me!
4, I will eat as much chocolate as possible to see me through the year :drool:
5, I will finish the year no matter how busy or ill. I did it last year I have no excuse this year.

Week 1 Sin
Week 2 Season
Week 3 Gravity
Week 4 Wild
Week 5 Space
Week 6 Work
Week 7 Gluttony
Week 8 Time
Week 9 Juxtaposition
Week 10 Letter
Week 11 Electric
Week 12 Direction
Week 13 Tacky
Week 14 Value
Week 15 Greed
Week 16 Angle
Week 17 Rustic
Week 18 Kind
Week 19 Vertical & Season re-shoot
Week 20 Pattern
Week 21 Movement
Week 22 Below
Week 23 Size
Week 24 Process
Week 25 Rock
Week 26 Pair
Week 27 Movement reshoot and Shape
Week 28 Plenty
Week 29 Speed
Week 30 Steps
Week 31 Mono
Week 32 Connection
Week 33 Beginning
Week 34 Still
Week 35 Whimsical
Week 36 Curve
Week 37 Power
Week 38 Solitude
Week 39 Sweet
Week 40 Cut and angle reshoot.
Week 41 Live
Week 42 Reflection
Week 43 Melt
Week 44
Week 45
Week 46
Week 47
Week 48
Week 49
Week 50
Week 51
Week 52

Blimey writing all the empty weeks out again makes the year seem a long time!

Last edited:
i thought I'd be the first to comment on your thread Marsha ;)
Good luck for the coming year (y)

Oh and number 1 shouldn't be too difficult, the boy Dean is lastminutedotcom king :LOL:

I will support you all the way with no. 4!

i thought I'd be the first to comment on your thread Marsha ;)
Good luck for the coming year (y)

Oh and number 1 shouldn't be too difficult, the boy Dean is lastminutedotcom king :LOL:
:LOL: Iain, I think I'm safe for now, still got 8 days left of week one :nuts:

Andrew, my bro should have shared some with you!

Get on with it.... ;)

Good to see the 2013 thread started.

Cheers.
Andy stop interrupting me then :p

No 4 sounds good to me
Hi Christine :wave: choccies are the way ahead!

Hahaaaaaa - Now I feel a new challenge coming here :D ... well once I have my PC back :thinking:

Look forward to the first shot Marsha... have you got enough to melt and fill a bath ??
You not got that PC sorted yet :razz::shake: I hope you're getting angry on their ass's? I think I could fill a bath actually! I've changed my avatar as a tribute to last year and my dedication to eating it all :drool:

Beagletorque said:

Ha, not a chance with her kids around!

The goblin said:
Andrew, my bro should have shared some with you! :

Yeah right

"Sophie you going to give uncle bean a chocolate coin"
"No"

"Jack you going to give uncle bean a chocolate coin"
"No"

So if I don't get any, Andrew has no chance ! :)

Good luck Marsha with this years 52, just hope you get the time to do it as I know it's going to be very hard with your schedule this year.

Apparently in the definition I read for this it's a sin to waste time! Time is something we don't have much of so my hubby spending it all evening playing on his x-box with his bro seems to fit this week!

No it's not chocolate! I was shooting my usual desk top frustration when I decided that I need to try new techniques, this is shot using two flash guns at angles and apart from converting to B&W and other basic tweaks there's no major PP, that's good for me!

C&C welcome :D

Edit* I can see now the background does need a slight levels tweak, I'll do that tomorrow!

Last edited:
beanbandit said:
Ha, not a chance with her kids around!

"Sophie you going to give uncle bean a chocolate coin"
"No"

"Jack you going to give uncle bean a chocolate coin"
"No"

So if I don't get any, Andrew has no chance ! :)
They were just helping you on your diet :p

beanbandit said:
Good luck Marsha with this years 52, just hope you get the time to do it as I know it's going to be very hard with your schedule this year.
Ta, it'll be worth it! Each week is a week closer to leaving work, it's a great count down!

woohooo.....great to see you back for another year of torture....& just lovin your rules...especially the chocolate one :LOL:

NO idea when it comes to portrait type stuff so have to say I'm impressed....BG you've mentioned , focus looks good n sharp , nice pov (y) Poossibly clipped the top of his hair ? & maybe , just maybe a little more contrast boost ? Feel free to ignore me as I really don't have a clue with prople shots :crying:

Good to see you back , hopefully you'll battle through with your busy year & we'll some some more cracking images (y)

Like it. For me it's all about interpretation and sometimes others just won't get it. I've often loosely interpreted themes and will do so if needed.

B&W works well and the lighting is, overall, great. Liking the more shaded side of your brothers face and it seems quite sharp, but possibly could have been a bit sharper? Just looking at his eyes. I may be wrong or over critical.

BG mentioned and I'm not that concerned about the cropped head because it is quite dark.

Might not have been possible, in camera, but catch lights would be a great addition. Easily added in post if you OK with this...I would be :)

Well done for getting in 6 days early.

Cheers.

woohooo.....great to see you back for another year of torture....& just lovin your rules...especially the chocolate one :LOL:

NO idea when it comes to portrait type stuff so have to say I'm impressed....BG you've mentioned , focus looks good n sharp , nice pov (y) Poossibly clipped the top of his hair ? & maybe , just maybe a little more contrast boost ? Feel free to ignore me as I really don't have a clue with prople shots :crying:

Good to see you back , hopefully you'll battle through with your busy year & we'll some some more cracking images (y)

Hi Lynne :wave: I always have to try and cut the top of my hubby's hair line off to disguise the receding bits :eek:
As for contrast this was shot to be deliberately dark, I've pushed the contrast as far as I could, too much more makes the LHS of his face (RHS as we look at it) too weird!

And feel free to bully me when I drop back ;)

Like it. For me it's all about interpretation and sometimes others just won't get it. I've often loosely interpreted themes and will do so if needed.

B&W works well and the lighting is, overall, great. Liking the more shaded side of your brothers face and it seems quite sharp, but possibly could have been a bit sharper? Just looking at his eyes. I may be wrong or over critical.

BG mentioned and I'm not that concerned about the cropped head because it is quite dark.

Might not have been possible, in camera, but catch lights would be a great addition. Easily added in post if you OK with this...I would be :)

Well done for getting in 6 days early.

Hi Andy, whoops I didn't write that well, it's my hubby playing his bro! I've re-worded it!
I struggled with focus as it was too dark for AF so switched to manual, still difficult in the dark so I couldn't get it as sharp as I wanted!
I actually cloned out two very tiny catchlights, alas I couldn't get them due to where the flashes were placed! I'll have to look at adding them in PP!

Cheers Andy.

i like the lighting and its a good interpretation of the theme he looks like hes in deep concentration well captured :clap:

The goblin said:
Apparently in the definition I read for this it's a sin to waste time! Time is something we don't have much of so my hubby spending it all evening playing on his x-box with his bro seems to fit this week!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58189537@N02/8346774841/

No it's not chocolate! I was shooting my usual desk top frustration when I decided that I need to try new techniques, this is shot using two flash guns at angles and apart from converting to B&W and other basic tweaks there's no major PP, that's good for me!

C&C welcome :D

Edit* I can see now the background does need a slight levels tweak, I'll do that tomorrow!

Love the lighting and I think the b&w works really well too.....plus I know how my other half can sometimes make me feel like my late night Xbox sessions are a sin too! LOL!

Love the b&w, im a sucker for a good b&w, and good on the theme. Good luck with your 52!

Focus - tick
Lighting - tick
Capturing "the moment" - tick

what a shot!

I Just love that photo.

:clap:

Hi Marsha,
I am with Andy on this, and the interpretation of themes, sometimes we take a literal route and other times it needs a little explanation. This works IMHO.

Technically very good, you've handled the lighting well, all the detail is still there, focus is fine for it being so dark as you described and you've captured the moment.

I particularly like the use of negative space, and the expression you've captured on Mr Goblin's face ;)

I don't think clipping the top of his hair is an issue, the viewers eyes aren't drawn there. Good work all round Marsha, sit back and bask in the glory of having a whole week before the next theme is announced. i don't think it will be like this for the rest of the year :LOL:

Great shot indeed though it's not shouting sin at me at all.

Love the mono conversion too, great detail though there's a little hair cropped off at the top which is a little distracting. I was always taught if you're going to crop into the head you need to do it like you mean it, ie through the brow area, anything else is too easy to interpret as a mistake.

But then what do teachers know :)

I'm sure I've made that face myself many times during a late night xbox session! Great photo Marsha, love the interpretation of the theme as well, it's always nice to see something different :)

Love the lighting and I think the b&w works really well too.....plus I know how my other half can sometimes make me feel like my late night Xbox sessions are a sin too! LOL!
:LOL: It's amazing how games can burgle your time!

Love the b&w, im a sucker for a good b&w, and good on the theme. Good luck with your 52!
Thank you.

Focus - tick
Lighting - tick
Capturing "the moment" - tick

what a shot!

I Just love that photo.

:clap:
Many thanks Brian :)

I am with Andy on this, and the interpretation of themes, sometimes we take a literal route and other times it needs a little explanation. This works IMHO.

Technically very good, you've handled the lighting well, all the detail is still there, focus is fine for it being so dark as you described and you've captured the moment.

I particularly like the use of negative space, and the expression you've captured on Mr Goblin's face ;)

I don't think clipping the top of his hair is an issue, the viewers eyes aren't drawn there. Good work all round Marsha, sit back and bask in the glory of having a whole week before the next theme is announced. i don't think it will be like this for the rest of the year :LOL:
Cheers Iain. I've just spent 2.5hrs starting on the mammoth task of sorting out lasts years photos, whilst sorting the ones in took today! Taking photos for this project is the easy part, keeping up on the comments :exit: It'll take me a week just to say hello on them all :bonk:
Although I may have to start calling my hubby Mr Goblin :LOL:

I think that works really well too, impressed you have used two flashes, lighting looks good to me (what I know about lighting is zilch, but I know what I like) Some great detail and caught in a very good moment - Cracking start (y)
Thanks DK, my 'skill' with lights is also limited, best we learn some stuff this year?!?

Great shot indeed though it's not shouting sin at me at all.

Love the mono conversion too, great detail though there's a little hair cropped off at the top which is a little distracting. I was always taught if you're going to crop into the head you need to do it like you mean it, ie through the brow area, anything else is too easy to interpret as a mistake.

But then what do teachers know :)
Cheers Paul and welcome back to the 52. The hair line does bother me a tad, more so because it's a mess, but I generally do try to either crop in or get wider! An edit may be done tomorrow.

I'm sure I've made that face myself many times during a late night xbox session! Great photo Marsha, love the interpretation of the theme as well, it's always nice to see something different :)
Thanks Matt, I like to be different :)

They were just helping you on your diet :p

Ta, it'll be worth it! Each week is a week closer to leaving work, it's a great count down!

Like the shot too, b+w suits. My be we could persuade some else to increase the shutter count on their D7000?

Like the shot too, b+w suits. My be we could persuade some else to increase the shutter count on their D7000?
Andrew if he gets the shutter count above 500 this year I'll be amazed! I think mine is above 5000 in the same time we've had them :bonk: Glad you like my shot :)

It does not immediately say sin to me but it is a smashing portrait photo - maybe that is the sin - introducing (my) jealousy :)

Cheers Christine, I suffer a lot of jealousy doing this project :bonk:

Hi Marsha,

You're a glutten for punishment aren't you ...busier year ahead and still determined to complete another 52........more commitment than I have!!

Sin: Love the expression you've captured on hubbys face....he really is "lost" in the game.

Like some other folk, I have a soft spot for b&w ( comes from my film shooting!), but regardles of that the lighting and focus are spot on and your interpretation on the theme is excellent.

How some people can spend hours playing X box or similar I don't know as after a half hour or so my eyes and brain become scrambled! lol....I guess we all have our vices, yours it seems is chocolate.....very sinful especially if you eat all that in your avatar:D

excellent lighting.. like the intense look on his face, definitely captured the moment there.. suits B+W too

Hiya Marsha, that is a great start to the year, an excellent portrait! The look in his eye is excellent, b+w is a great choice. It reminds me of a scene from a movie, not sure what though!
Cheers Michael.

You're a glutten for punishment aren't you ...busier year ahead and still determined to complete another 52........more commitment than I have!!

Sin: Love the expression you've captured on hubbys face....he really is "lost" in the game.

Like some other folk, I have a soft spot for b&w ( comes from my film shooting!), but regardles of that the lighting and focus are spot on and your interpretation on the theme is excellent.

How some people can spend hours playing X box or similar I don't know as after a half hour or so my eyes and brain become scrambled! lol....I guess we all have our vices, yours it seems is chocolate.....very sinful especially if you eat all that in your avatar:D
Hi Asha, yup I love torture especially as it's only the 8th Jan and things are already stupidly busy!

I will demolish that chocolate stash, it'll just take a while!

excellent lighting.. like the intense look on his face, definitely captured the moment there.. suits B+W too

Many thanks Michelle :)

A very moody but well shot photograph but I was struggling with the theme connection.

Hi Marsha

Sin - without the explanation, I would not have put it with the theme because to me it looks more like concentration.

However, I really like the shot. You have caught the mood and expression well and the lighting and b+w works well. (y) Reminds me of films about submariners working in the semi dark looking at sonar screens.

Crop and b/g suit it.

Sin - without the explanation, I would not have put it with the theme because to me it looks more like concentration.

However, I really like the shot. You have caught the mood and expression well and the lighting and b+w works well. (y) Reminds me of films about submariners working in the semi dark looking at sonar screens.

Cheers Alan glad you liked it, I know the link was a tad tenuous :whistle:

Had a few ideas for this, I tried three attempts at photo stacking but chose an awkward ubject so gave up as a lost cause, then my son got a case of the night time whinges and all time vanished!

Bloody stupid snow has stopped my hubby returning from Anglesey today so I have just got to go with what I have :shrug:

I decided to clear my path this morning, put down rock salt and then threw some bread crumbs out when this little chap came for a break from the white stuff! I know he is OOF, it was a grab shot through the window but I just like the misty drab atmosphere! He did look quite forlorn at one point with his wings held out like he was trying to dry off a bit!

He's more in focus here:

And my Hebe plant:

Edited version:

C&C welcome, I know they're not brilliant but it keeps me up to date!

Last edited:
Hi, Marsha, 3 on theme photographs there.

It's #1 for me. Liking the low perspective and detail. Strangely enough. I'd prefer it if the bird want there. Very minimal.

Cheers.

Hi Marsha :wave:
As Andy says, all three bang on theme (y)
#1 I too like the low perspective taken here, the little fella is a bit oof as you say but still clearly recognisable. maybe just a tad too central in the frame but not something you could have much control over eh?

#2 has, as Alan mentioned a crop potential, maybe to concentrate the viewers eye have the bird more dominant in the frame?

#3 liking the colours captured here, maybe even go with a colour boost to accentuate them? A little too much space on the rhs IMHO but alternatively, the negative space works. A drop shadow applied to the image would help as a stop to the rhs because as it is, the frame seems to fade out with no end IYSWIM.

Good work (y)
Not long until the new theme is announced. Iain

Back